GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The king of first person shooters?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/04/02 at 19:43
Regular
I know many of you will disagree with my choice, however i believe that the best FPS ever has to be the original Doom. Without Doom, all the other FPSs would never have been made as Doom started the whole thing off.

Even though the graphics are not great and the weapons are limited i still think it's better than the newer games like Unreal tournament and counterstrike (although i like both) because of the sheer satisfaction it gives you. I remember first playing Doom and how much pleasure i gto out of nailing an imp in the back of the head with a shotgun, and in my opinion these new games don't have the something that Doom had.

Maybe, it's just nostalgia, but i think alot of games today are more about winning, and being the best instead of trying to be fun and give you something to kill on a rainy day (without breaking the law)

So, i'd like to hear your opinions on this! Does anyone agree that Doom is still the best FPS?

LMK whether you think i'm speaking the truth or if i'm talking rubbish ;)

-Rogue
Fri 16/08/02 at 09:32
well DOOM is a great game i also think that castle wolfenstein was the most addictive FPS around that time. I didnt like DUKE NUKEM thought it was a bit too farfetched!DOOM3 i cant wait to try it just it has got a lot of competition! RTCW,SOF2, e.t.c HALF LIFE2 its gonna have to beat!!!
Thu 15/08/02 at 22:38
Regular
TAc ops.
Wed 14/08/02 at 12:44
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Oh well, sprite are a part of gaming past now, there was always going to be a time when they became obsolete, and that time passed way back when quake was released.
Mon 12/08/02 at 13:26
"Darkness, always"
Even shareware games use polygonal models now. Since the advent of Dark Basic, making a pretty game has become child's play.
Mon 12/08/02 at 12:25
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Sprites have had their day. 3D models are the future of many games now, the only titles you'll find with crap looking sprites instead of glorious 3D models, are shareware games.
Mon 12/08/02 at 10:26
Regular
Your only saying that because your a 3D polygon -w***e!
( I can get away with that cant I?)
Mon 12/08/02 at 10:21
"Darkness, always"
I became obscenely good at games like Doom simply because of sprites.

They looked so unrealistic that they no longer became enemies, they were just targets that could fire back. With 3d animations, you have fluidity, more realism, just MORE.

At first Doom was atmospheric, but now, it just pales in comparison to the likes of Half-Life, Unreal and dozens of others that can be so much more involving simply because they look the part.

Viva la polygon.
Sat 10/08/02 at 21:15
Regular
"A man with a stick"
xBeanx wrote:
> Come on dude, if you think about it, sprites are miles better than 3d
> polygon models. Sprites leave it to your imagination to create a fun
> 3d picture in your mind of there character. While with Polygons, you
> get what you see and nothing more. The sprites in DOOM and DUKE 3D
> made the worlds leave on in your mind, even today.

Seriously dude, I thought the 2D sprites looked s**t. This was mainly due to their naff anamations, they just didn't move as fluently as 3D models, and didn't at all look threataning or scary as suspect they where supposed to. The other problem I had was that when they where placed in a 3D worlds, they just looked like they where pasted in. Compared to the highly detailed enviroments, the sprites just didn't look like they belonged there.

Dukes still a great game though, regardless of whether the enemies looked real or not.
Sat 10/08/02 at 08:42
One of my favourite games ever is still the original Quake.

Doom is ok. But PINK monsters?? I'll pass.
Fri 09/08/02 at 18:10
Regular
Come on dude, if you think about it, sprites are miles better than 3d polygon models. Sprites leave it to your imagination to create a fun 3d picture in your mind of there character. While with Polygons, you get what you see and nothing more. The sprites in DOOM and DUKE 3D made the worlds leave on in your mind, even today.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.