GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The king of first person shooters?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/04/02 at 19:43
Regular
I know many of you will disagree with my choice, however i believe that the best FPS ever has to be the original Doom. Without Doom, all the other FPSs would never have been made as Doom started the whole thing off.

Even though the graphics are not great and the weapons are limited i still think it's better than the newer games like Unreal tournament and counterstrike (although i like both) because of the sheer satisfaction it gives you. I remember first playing Doom and how much pleasure i gto out of nailing an imp in the back of the head with a shotgun, and in my opinion these new games don't have the something that Doom had.

Maybe, it's just nostalgia, but i think alot of games today are more about winning, and being the best instead of trying to be fun and give you something to kill on a rainy day (without breaking the law)

So, i'd like to hear your opinions on this! Does anyone agree that Doom is still the best FPS?

LMK whether you think i'm speaking the truth or if i'm talking rubbish ;)

-Rogue
Mon 15/04/02 at 19:43
I know many of you will disagree with my choice, however i believe that the best FPS ever has to be the original Doom. Without Doom, all the other FPSs would never have been made as Doom started the whole thing off.

Even though the graphics are not great and the weapons are limited i still think it's better than the newer games like Unreal tournament and counterstrike (although i like both) because of the sheer satisfaction it gives you. I remember first playing Doom and how much pleasure i gto out of nailing an imp in the back of the head with a shotgun, and in my opinion these new games don't have the something that Doom had.

Maybe, it's just nostalgia, but i think alot of games today are more about winning, and being the best instead of trying to be fun and give you something to kill on a rainy day (without breaking the law)

So, i'd like to hear your opinions on this! Does anyone agree that Doom is still the best FPS?

LMK whether you think i'm speaking the truth or if i'm talking rubbish ;)

-Rogue
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:31
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I think your mad actually, but anyway, I agree that without Doom, modern fps's would be nowhere, and all that, but I don't agree it's the 'King'. I'd have to say that I'd think Half-Life was the King of them all, sparnking lots of mods, and some games now (3 years later) are still trying to achieve the same standard as Half Life did. HL really involved you alot, the way you felt really annoyed when you find out the Marines are jsust there to silence you, I felt really disgusted with the pixels and polygons after they shot that first scientist (I mean, thats your job isn't it?). It really had you believing all this, and destroyed my (already limited) social life for a few weeks after buying it. It had many new things that fps just hadn't tried before, like a storyline :P. Seriously though, the storyline was the best I've seen in a first person shooter since (not an RPG FPS). HL had amazing AI aswell, some games today that I could mention, 3 years down the line still have pathetic AI compared to HL. The scripted sequences were well done, my favourite being the scientist hanging onto a ladder, where he fell. The weapons felt nice, especially after headshotting a single marine from 200ft away with the .357 magnum, bringing him down with an impressive animation, and then regretting it, as three of his mates come round the corner while your in the middle of reloading. I really liked that .357 magnum... really satisfying seeing a headshot from it, I'd have to prefer this to any other way of bringing down a foe in any game.
Tue 16/04/02 at 18:08
I must say that half life is one of my favourite games, however i still think without Doom FPSs would never have been released. I also agree that half life has a much better story line than any other FPS (the doom one wasn't exactly great) but still even though HL's gameplay and graphics are better, i think that for when it was made it's an amazing achievement and still betters alot of FPSs out at the moment.
Tue 16/04/02 at 18:47
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
xlroguelx wrote:
> i still think without Doom FPSs would never have been released.

Point taken, I agree fully on that one, but i still would rate it more as a 'Classic' FPS rather than the 'King'.
Wed 17/04/02 at 07:40
Regular
"Brrrrr."
I love FPS but have never played Doom!!!
Sat 20/07/02 at 13:09
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I played Doom 2 a little when I got my first PC back in 96, but the game which really got me into the genre was Duke Nukem 3D. I wasn't connected at the time, so couldn't enjoy Quake online, which was one of the most talked about features of the game, so I went with nukem.

It was a great game, I spent hours playing through it, a great single player game which didn't take itself too seriously. For me Duke is the king of FPS because it introduced me to the genre at a time when FPS shooters where much different to FPS of Dooms era. That's probably why I could never really get into doom2 at the time.

Still where not short of FPS these days, and whats more, most of them a top quality games to boot.
Sat 20/07/02 at 14:18
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Whatever you may think, Doom has been recently resurrected in the form of Serious Sam. Totally mad carnage with no plot whatsoever.

For sheer quality, I still think Half-Life is the best PC FPS for a looong time - it had plot, suspense and some great set-pieces.

Doom 3 looks nice though...
Sat 20/07/02 at 16:24
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'vew been thinking about getting serious sam for a while now, especially since it's only £10. I rember playing a demo of it, and more recently it's sequel, and yes, both games are fun. Repetative, but I don't think it was the devlopers intension to make plot driven game in the same vein as half-life.

The demo's certainly where bloody fun, and I from what I've seen, the game has one of the biggest end bosses in any FPS. Should be a challenge.
Sun 21/07/02 at 23:21
Regular
"accidental superher"
i was tempted to get serious sam at one point...but then had second thoughts...
anyway back to the main topic:
on the pc, i remember being totally blown away by Half Life when i first played it...
Medal of Honour Allied Assault has some amazing set pieces like the beach landing but it's far too short and mission 5 -where you got to wade through the sniper village is a nightmare!
Mon 22/07/02 at 00:12
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im currently playing through Return To Castle Wolfenstein. I think its great, but im currently facing these monsters that jump around on there hands and have Tesla coils for ars£s, they can mince you in seconds.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.