GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The king of first person shooters?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/04/02 at 19:43
Regular
I know many of you will disagree with my choice, however i believe that the best FPS ever has to be the original Doom. Without Doom, all the other FPSs would never have been made as Doom started the whole thing off.

Even though the graphics are not great and the weapons are limited i still think it's better than the newer games like Unreal tournament and counterstrike (although i like both) because of the sheer satisfaction it gives you. I remember first playing Doom and how much pleasure i gto out of nailing an imp in the back of the head with a shotgun, and in my opinion these new games don't have the something that Doom had.

Maybe, it's just nostalgia, but i think alot of games today are more about winning, and being the best instead of trying to be fun and give you something to kill on a rainy day (without breaking the law)

So, i'd like to hear your opinions on this! Does anyone agree that Doom is still the best FPS?

LMK whether you think i'm speaking the truth or if i'm talking rubbish ;)

-Rogue
Tue 23/07/02 at 11:49
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm not playing any FPS at the moment, not any full games anyway. I'm playing a few of the add-ons you can get for half-life, the main ones being Team Fortress, Firearms and Day of Defeat. All very good games to play, and great to say they are nothing really more than an expansion of an existing game. Still they are all well made, and keep me playing for hours, and there all free, my favourite price.
Fri 26/07/02 at 20:34
Regular
Doom will always go down in my mind as one of the best games ever made.

I have many fond memories of playing a friend (co-operatively) til 6 in the morning, finishing all three episodes, and costing my parents a whopping £250 on the phone (d'oh).

Of course you can't compare it to the likes of Unreal in graphical, sound or gameplay terms, but yes Doom is still superior in originality and pure atmosphere. I'm foamin at the bit for Doom 3, although I have my suspicions it will be nothing like the original series.... (for better or worse remains to be seen)
Sat 27/07/02 at 21:56
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The only FPS I've played long into the night is Half-Life. I got it sometime around christmas back in 99, and just couldn't stop playing it, I've perhaps yet to play another game which has kept me glued to the screen as long as HL did. Certainly on of the best FPS of recent times, and one which reinvented the genre.
Sun 28/07/02 at 19:33
"Darkness, always"
Am I the only one under the impression that it was Wolfenstein 3D, and not Doom, which kicked off the FPS revolution?

Doom was only more succesful because of the "death match" which kicked off the kind of devotion that games like Quake 3, Half-Life etc have today.

Either way, although I enjoyed games like doom, I like a little more sophistication in my games, So my vote would go for something more like System Shock 2 or Hitman: Codename 47 (although it's not quite FPS...).

I like plots, special abilities etc. Doom, serious sam and stuff like that doesn't really appeal to me...
Sun 28/07/02 at 20:54
Regular
Definitely Goldeneye. Unreal Tournament a close second.
Sun 28/07/02 at 21:26
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Either way, although I enjoyed games like doom, I like a little more
> sophistication in my games, So my vote would go for something more
> like System Shock 2 or Hitman: Codename 47 (although it's not quite
> FPS...).

Yikes, I almost forgot about System Shock 2. Definatly one of my favourite games of all time, because as well as being one of the mosty atmosheric and scary games I've ever played, it also requires you to use you're head as much as you're trigger finger. Class game.
Sun 28/07/02 at 22:17
Regular
"accidental superher"
yeah system shock 2 rocked...it was really scary (but then maybe i'm just a pansy)
Mon 29/07/02 at 12:12
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
beanz wrote:
> yeah system shock 2 rocked...it was really scary (but then maybe i'm
> just a pansy)

I was scared too. The zombies were relentless!
Tue 30/07/02 at 15:36
No it has to be Mario Safari!!!!!..............*ahem*, then again, maybe not :)
Tue 30/07/02 at 15:38
Tactical Ops.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.