GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The king of first person shooters?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/04/02 at 19:43
Regular
I know many of you will disagree with my choice, however i believe that the best FPS ever has to be the original Doom. Without Doom, all the other FPSs would never have been made as Doom started the whole thing off.

Even though the graphics are not great and the weapons are limited i still think it's better than the newer games like Unreal tournament and counterstrike (although i like both) because of the sheer satisfaction it gives you. I remember first playing Doom and how much pleasure i gto out of nailing an imp in the back of the head with a shotgun, and in my opinion these new games don't have the something that Doom had.

Maybe, it's just nostalgia, but i think alot of games today are more about winning, and being the best instead of trying to be fun and give you something to kill on a rainy day (without breaking the law)

So, i'd like to hear your opinions on this! Does anyone agree that Doom is still the best FPS?

LMK whether you think i'm speaking the truth or if i'm talking rubbish ;)

-Rogue
Tue 30/07/02 at 21:02
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
SolidSnakeXXI wrote:
> Definitely Goldeneye. Unreal Tournament a close second.

A console FPS? ... Mmm... thats either very brave, or a little uninformed?

beanz wrote:
> yeah system shock 2 rocked...it was really scary (but then maybe i'm
> just a pansy)

I found System Shock 2 to be immensly atmospheric, (especially when you only had a wrench to defend yourself with), although it did lose a little when I realised the Zombies (etc) were spawned... I would have preferred a set number of harder Zombies? the empty corridors seemed more sinister than those constantly filled with Zombies?
Wed 31/07/02 at 12:43
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I think the spawned enemies where to keep you on you're feet, and keep on moving rather than cower away in a corner somewhere. Still it did get annoying a bit, especially when you set off alarms and a whole endless army of mutants charged at you.
Fri 02/08/02 at 11:13
"Darkness, always"
the zombies only respawned in certain areas, so I don't think it was too bad...

Mmmmmmmmmm, isn't Doom III looking nice!!
Fri 02/08/02 at 12:11
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Doom 3 is looking great, I just hope it plays as well, though it does look like it'll have the same kind of dark atmosphere that system shock 2 has.

Also, I have to mention No One Lives Forever as a great FPS, one of the best I've played in a while actually. It's funny, has a good, if unoriginal storyline, looks great still, has a massive variety in the levels and will take ages to complete. I recommend this game to anyone who has still yet to play it, it's only £10 so it's worth checking out.

The game has got me looking forward very much to the sequel out later this year which is looking excellent.
Fri 02/08/02 at 12:24
"Darkness, always"
Indeed. Doom III looks more like it'll concentrate more on atmosphere and tough enemies than on atmosphere and enemy hordes*. So to make up for the fewer enemy numbers, I expect they'll inject a little more tactical play into the game.

*this is an assumption based on the sheer graphical power this game will need to produce the effects for any one of the creatures in it, and that it would simply require an immense amount of graphical processing to have a room crowded with several dozen such enemies.

As for NOLF, I've yet to play it, but I've only heard good things about it, so it's only a matter of time...
Fri 02/08/02 at 16:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm going to need to do some serious upgrading to be able to play doom 3 when it is eventually released, I just hopw it will all be worth it. I think I'll have a while yet though before the game is released, it does still look early in development.

And NOLF is a class game, defiantly worth the £10 it's sold at now, and it's probably one of the funniest games I have ever played.
Fri 02/08/02 at 22:05
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
cipro wrote:
> I think the spawned enemies where to keep you on you're feet, and keep
> on moving rather than cower away in a corner somewhere. Still it did
> get annoying a bit, especially when you set off alarms and a whole
> endless army of mutants charged at you.

yeah, I can see where your comming from...

I just felt that the spawing zombies, especially when you realised the respawn points, took away a lot of the atmosphere of the game...

I know I certainly did a lot less hiding once I knew what to expect and where...

For me it took me out of the story.. made if feel more like an arcade FPS, rather than an involving adventure?
Fri 02/08/02 at 22:38
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I didn't find the spawning zombies much of a problem though, if anything it made me more cautious when facing cameras which set off the alarms. It was still an annoying feature, but one I could live with.

The main problem I had was with the guns jamming. It was so annoying getting caught in a fight with some zombies, only for your gun to jam up, which you then had to run off and repair somewhere. It did get frushtrating at times as well, especially when facing allot of enemies.

I still think it's a great game though, it can just get a bit annoying sometimes.
Thu 08/08/02 at 10:30
Regular
I'll tell which is the daddy of all FPS's. In my eyes there is nothing even today that comes close to it. It was released about 6 years ago and is flawless in design,graphics and most importantly,gameplay.It is...

DUKE NUKEM 3D.

Every thing,and I mean every thing about this game is perfect.The content is massive,the graphics absoulty are perfect.Sounds are flawless, and I really cant think of another game that can touch it.Even Half-Life doesn't better it which is saying volumes.Maybe it's just a personal thing with me, but I honestly cant think of another equal.And I have played 100% of FPS in the UK.If I had to make a list of the runners up I would say... DOOM , TUROK:DinosourHunter(N64only) and Half-life.

So now you know
Fri 09/08/02 at 10:08
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I don't think duke nukem 3D graphics where that good back then. At the time Quake had just been released and it replaced the 2D sprites of the enemies and weapons in the game, with full 3D ones.

Quake did look better, but I always prefered Duke. My reasons though was that it introduced me properly to the FPS genre, as I couldn't really get into games like doom and quake. It still remains one of my favourite FPS, though I would never put it above games like half-life and system shock 2.

Can't wait for the sequel anyway, though I don't think it's going to be released in my life time :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.