GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Daily Game Chat Thread Thingy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/10/16 at 14:14
"possibly impossible"
I'm sure we had one of these before, but as we've got nowhere else on the forums for general game chat, here it is....

Page:
Thu 08/12/16 at 14:20
Regular
"And in last place.."
Just before I started the last mission in Dishonored 2 I found my high chaos antics resulting in some rather cold actions. It seems being my ally is not enough to spare your life when I'm in high chaos mode. Rather surprised with myself. I might need to play something cute and fluffy after this.
Wed 07/12/16 at 11:19
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

DL wrote:
I do love carnage especially throughout the Dishonored series :¬D Got bored otherwise ;¬)

Really? Never found the stealth boring, just had the opinion that I'd sneak around unless they got in my way...

Strangely, lots of things got in my way.
Tue 06/12/16 at 19:32
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I do love carnage especially throughout the Dishonored series :¬D Got bored otherwise ;¬)
Tue 06/12/16 at 19:04
Regular
"And in last place.."

chasfh wrote:
They are set up for stealth, but only in the most sadistic and twisted sense; stealth games at this level are designed to frustrate, to confound and to irritate, as the alternative (destruction and chaos) would be your fallback, and also the best way to relieve the pent up frustration and aggression.

In other words, by design, the devs try to break your non-violent cycle, purposely forcing a second/ third/ 400th play-through to complete that all- elusive "0 kill" run.

It's a clever way of ensuring longevity for any title, and it maybe upsets them to know there's people like me and DL who just go "Who cares? Just drop a few, see how it goes...".

On a different note, everything is now running at 4K resolution. No real problems, Windows 10 rather usefully decided it was best to scale all icons and fonts by 150% ... except where it would break games or apps to do so!

Essentially, I plugged my new monitor in, fired up my PC and watched everything magically reorganise itself to fit. Happy days...

Post edited by chasfh on 06/12/2016 at 18:56.

Mission 4 is the very level your 1st paragraph describes.

Normally I would go for the balance of stealth first and then mop up the mess or run and hide went it goes wrong. I saw the trophy for a low chaos play through and it became a personal challenge. This time round is the polar opposite; why sneak past the guard at the window when you can throw a canister of whale oil which will explode on impact? Guard not an issue now, everyone in the area comes running and a minute later I am free to walk around. Both approaches are satisfying but one is much more fun.
Tue 06/12/16 at 17:46
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

dav2612 wrote:
If there is one thing I've learned then it is that I'll never learn.

Games like Dishonored feel like they are set up for stealth and there is a certain added tension with stealth. The downside is the frustration. My high chaos play through is certainly more direct and less tactical.

They are set up for stealth, but only in the most sadistic and twisted sense; stealth games at this level are designed to frustrate, to confound and to irritate, as the alternative (destruction and chaos) would be your fallback, and also the best way to relieve the pent up frustration and aggression.

In other words, by design, the devs try to break your non-violent cycle, purposely forcing a second/ third/ 400th play-through to complete that all- elusive "0 kill" run.

It's a clever way of ensuring longevity for any title, and it maybe upsets them to know there's people like me and DL who just go "Who cares? Just drop a few, see how it goes...".

On a different note, everything is now running at 4K resolution. No real problems, Windows 10 rather usefully decided it was best to scale all icons and fonts by 150% ... except where it would break games or apps to do so!

Essentially, I plugged my new monitor in, fired up my PC and watched everything magically reorganise itself to fit. Happy days...

Post edited by chasfh on 06/12/2016 at 18:56.
Tue 06/12/16 at 17:35
Regular
"And in last place.."

chasfh wrote:
Heh... apparently some of us don't live and learn...;-)

I do find it slightly amusing that when a game is created that clearly gives you a choice, nearly everyone who plays it goes for stealth as the "default" method. Must be something ingrained in the human mind that forces the non-destructive path to be prioritised.

If there is one thing I've learned then it is that I'll never learn.

Games like Dishonored feel like they are set up for stealth and there is a certain added tension with stealth. The downside is the frustration. My high chaos play through is certainly more direct and less tactical.
Tue 06/12/16 at 15:27
Regular
"Feather edged ..."

chasfh wrote:

I do find it slightly amusing that when a game is created that clearly gives you a choice, nearly everyone who plays it goes for stealth as the "default" method. Must be something ingrained in the human mind that forces the non-destructive path to be prioritised.

My first approach to any game that offers mayhem/carnage or stealth, I'll always go with the first option for the 1st run-through. I 'may' try the second option on susequent run-throughs, but this usually ends up as carnage as well :¬)
Tue 06/12/16 at 14:55
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

dav2612 wrote:
Really didn't take to that game and gave up quite quickly. I was trying the stealth approach there too - not sure why I do that.

Tue 06/12/16 at 14:24
Regular
"And in last place.."

chasfh wrote:
Deus Ex Mankind Divided is going to be much the same for me. Destruction all the way first time I fear...

Really didn't take to that game and gave up quite quickly. I was trying the stealth approach there too - not sure why I do that.
Tue 06/12/16 at 14:10
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

dav2612 wrote:
I think it is fair to say it has become a complete massacre now. This is much more my scene and I couldn't go back to stealth now.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is going to be much the same for me. Destruction all the way first time I fear...
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.