GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/04/00 at 01:46
Regular
OK OK.... don't know if yo have noticed it but the PSX is one of the worst computers for build quality.

It may clearly be the BEST EVER for quality of games, but there is no point in all the games if the thing don't work.

From day 1 Sony have had to make constant changes to there little bundle of joy.

EVERY ONE i know with a playstation has had a least one problem with it. The common one being a piece of plastice flying off the middle.

By PSX does all of this, over heat, crash, bits of plastic braking off, works slow, can't read CD probley, etc. But the worst thing is i have NEVER cause any damage to the playstation or CDs. The only reason for these problems is cheap components.

Oh and guess what... I phoned up sony and they wanted £40 and my working (just) playstation for a recondintioned one, CHEEK, i could by a brand new one for £70 in specail reserve.

ANY WAY...all i really want is for sony to use better quality parts in the PSX2 'cause i am tired with th PSX being so cheap....

AND TO THE DELEVOPERS, good work keep it up y'all
Page:
Wed 11/10/00 at 23:54
"...people aren't buying the console for the games. Heard of DVD anyone?)...".
-----------------------
If it will sell as a DVD player, software sales will be low (see Japan sales) and this together with the high development costs will (not to mention the difficulty in programming the beast) not be interesting for long term development and planning.
Hence, games compatibility (and quick profit) with the PSX and PS1 will further kill ambitious projects in the long run.
Perhaps the PS2 WILL finish on top, but the odds are less favourable than 6 months ago.
A zillion game companies are planning to have a shot at the X-Box for more obvious reasons: compatibility in development with PC's and 2 markets: the PC and the console. Good and bad. Who will want to buy a seperate 250£ console if the newest and faster PC's already have it all?
No to mention the terrible present day state of software bugs (one thing IS clear you WILL need the X-Box hard disk AND internet access just to store the patches)
The Cube? Only if it ends under £100 and only if it's operating system is easy to develop for and only if it stays away from "adult games". A lot of people in this industry forget that the consoles are mostly for youngsters under 16.

So the only clear winner will be the Game Boy Advance (no market to share).
Wed 11/10/00 at 10:47
: I have come to believe this to be one of the best RPG's since FFVI. I have been playing the Final Fantasy series since it part one first came out on Nintendo. As always the producers of the game made it unlike any of the other Final Fantasy games. As I was reading other reviews on this site, I realized that few people really understood the concept of the game. This has been the most developed game in regards to storyline, battles, sidequests, and equipment. Personally, I found this game to be even more in depth than the recently released Chrono Cross. This is the first game I could actually interest my wife into playing along with me. In my opinion, the junctioning system is marvelous. Anybody that couldn't understand it should try reading the instructions. I appreciated the fact that magic was not focused as being the only way to beat the game as it has in other FF games. Final Fantasy VIII is not only the best in RPG's but probably the best overall game of the 1999-2000 period. No matter how many times you play you will get something new out of it each time.
Gameplay: As I mentioned earlier the gameplay is awesome. No game compares in its ability to hook the player from the very beginning movie. The graphics are clear and motion so fluid. As mentioned earlier the GF and junction system adds a new twist to the gameplay as far as improving defense and attack power. The storylines just keep on improving in each Final Fantasy.

Graphics: The graphics were beautiful. The movies had such realism to them. It was also nice to see that the characters looked like real people. In Final Fantasy VII the characters looked like rejects from a japanese cartoon. And as I mentioned earlier the movement of the characters is beautiful.

Sound: The sound has improved greatly since the Nintendo and Super Nintendo days. Although some sounds from battle sequences tend to sound similar. Overall the sound is good quality. The music was just as good as in past Final Fantasies as well.
Tue 10/10/00 at 22:41
Q. Why is the PS2 so expensive in this country?
A. Because we are silly enough to pay the price.

I work in the games retail industry as an importer we had the Japanese PS2's in stock retailing at £800 we sold out in 2 hours. And that was just the unit and 1 controller.
Mon 09/10/00 at 20:01
Regular
"the worlds most powerful console"
(Not for long, and I don't think we have to pay an extra £100 for VAT.)
Mon 09/10/00 at 19:59
Regular
(Or perhaps even contribute to the discussion instead of putting people down. The PS2 is over priced, and only advertising and hype is selling the console, not the draw of the games, except in a few dedicated gamers, people aren't buying the console for the games.
Heard of DVD anyone?)
Mon 09/10/00 at 13:34
It was advertised on Cybernet about a month ago, but I can't find it anywhere!!! Anyone know where to buy it, and if its any cop???

Cheers
Bezza
Mon 09/10/00 at 11:50
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Learn to spell, then your poor and unsubstantiated arguments might appear more convincing - although I doubt it.......
Mon 09/10/00 at 11:48
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I have. They only say that they've recieved your order, but don't give a date when you can pick it up.
Mon 09/10/00 at 11:47
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Just remember £299 includes VAT Etc whereas the US price doesn't... Also the main reason why the PS2 is more expensive is not due to Sony, but the shops which will sell it. They want a bigger cut because their costs (staff and rent etc) are higher.
Anyway - £300 for the worlds most powerful console AND a DVD player....!? Not bad.
Mon 09/10/00 at 11:42
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Edgy wrote:
> I got this straight from Nintendo Official Magazine. The Fony
> Greystation was originally going to be a CD-Rom drive for the SNES
> but Nintendo decided to stop and ,ake a new 64-bit console: N64
>
> If you don't believe me then e-mail Nintendo official magazine at
> [email protected] He's the editor of the Mag and he knows
> literally everything about Nintendo!

Tell us something we don't know. However I'd like to point out 2 things:
1) Nintendo asked Sony to create the cd-rom drive for it's SNES, but had no part in the technical side of it. So Sony created the Playstation and NOT Nintendo.

2) The reason why the SNES never got a CD-rom drive was because Nintendo pulled out because they seem wary of offering what people want and insted bombard us with Pokemon...! Sony then decided to use their expertise in making consumer electronics and thus created the most popular games console ever!
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.