GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/04/00 at 01:46
Regular
OK OK.... don't know if yo have noticed it but the PSX is one of the worst computers for build quality.

It may clearly be the BEST EVER for quality of games, but there is no point in all the games if the thing don't work.

From day 1 Sony have had to make constant changes to there little bundle of joy.

EVERY ONE i know with a playstation has had a least one problem with it. The common one being a piece of plastice flying off the middle.

By PSX does all of this, over heat, crash, bits of plastic braking off, works slow, can't read CD probley, etc. But the worst thing is i have NEVER cause any damage to the playstation or CDs. The only reason for these problems is cheap components.

Oh and guess what... I phoned up sony and they wanted £40 and my working (just) playstation for a recondintioned one, CHEEK, i could by a brand new one for £70 in specail reserve.

ANY WAY...all i really want is for sony to use better quality parts in the PSX2 'cause i am tired with th PSX being so cheap....

AND TO THE DELEVOPERS, good work keep it up y'all
Page:
Sat 29/04/00 at 09:36
Something I forgot to mention about 'Colony Wars: Red Sun' is the homage paid to numerous sci-fi films and programmes throughout the story. Babylon 5 seems to have been a big inspiration to the programmers as the FMV scenes of huge battleships exchanging fire and hundreds of fighter craft buzzing here, there and everywhere testify. At first glance, the Vorlons seem to make an appearance, too, until you look more closely.

Those immortal words, 'By your command!', can also be heard, but this time there isn't a Cylon in sight. Anyone old enough to remember BattleStar Galactica the first time round? Every stronghold, just like the Death Star in Star Wars, has to have a weakpoint and enemy craft in 'Red Sun' are no exception. And what about the stirring music, where have I heard that before? Oh, that's right, in 'Space: Above and Beyond' - well that's the first thing that came to mind when I heard it, anyway.

Talking of music in games, do you think companies are putting more effort into their soundtracks now than they did before? I suppose it depends on the budget they've got as to whether they can afford to hire a decent musician or whether they let their in-house staff knock out some generic tunes. A few years ago it seemed as if sound and music were added as an afterthought, but I think/hope that they now see (or should that be hear) them as integral parts of the whole game. A well-crafted score can build atmosphere and tension that no amount of flashy graphics and special effects can create.
Wed 26/04/00 at 08:03
'Colony Wars: Red Sun' on the Playstation is the third instalment in the Colony Wars series. For those who are not familiar with the previous games, the premise is that there is an ongoing war in space between two powers, the League of Free Worlds and the Navy. In the first game, 'Colony Wars', you played the role of a fighter pilot on the side of the League. In the second, 'Colony Wars: Vengeance', you gained a new perspective of the conflict as you then fought for the Navy. And in this third episode, you are Valdemar, a neutral mine worker whose dream is intercepted one night by a mysterious holographic general who ropes you into saving the human race.

The format of 'Red Sun' is a little different from its predecessors. At the start you are given a spaceship and a small amount of money. Having quit your job, you are now effectively a mercenary and are presented with a selection of missions. You can attempt these in whichever order you wish, or skip some out altogether if that's what you want. These vary from defensive roles where you fend off hostile attacks on your employer's ships; gathering missions where you grapple cargo and haul it from place to place; and all out attacking sorties where you aim to cause as much destruction as possible.

The successful completion of each mission will reward you with a predetermined number of credits which you can use to buy upgrades for your ship. These come in a variety of forms, including a wide range of offensive and defensive weapons, and special purpose devices, such as a grappling hook, heat sinks and shield boosters. Some missions will require that you possess one or two of these if you are to complete them successfully, so you must be sure that you have them before you start.

From the first mission you are given the rank of 'beginner' and the number of 'kills' that you make is recorded. As this tally increases, you may be promoted which often unlocks new weapons. Certain missions are critical to the story and completing these often takes you on to another space station in another system. Here you may find a brand new ship waiting to be bought, providing you have sufficient funds, of course! Fortunately, all those hard-earned credits that you spent on your equipment isn't wasted as they're all transferred across to the new ship automatically.

During each mission, you will naturally find yourself in the thick of the action, often vastly outnumbered by hostile fighters and flanked by huge battleships. Floating in one place trying to fight your way out will be suicide, so you'll need to develop some dog-fighting tactics if you wish to survive for long. With some canny purchases before you accept a mission, however, you can make life a lot easier for yourself once you're in the fray.

After each mission you are given the opportunity to save your progress. This makes the game slightly easier than the previous game, 'Vengeance', where you had to successfully complete a string of missions before you could relax again once you'd saved. The plot isn't quite up to that of the excellent 'Vengeance' due to the freeform mission selection, but this will suit those who prefer not to be railroaded into certain courses of action.

All in all, if you liked the previous games then I'd recommend that you get this one too. If you have yet to play any of the games in this series and are into space battles, then I'd recommend that you get this, together with the previous two instalments. 'Colony Wars: Red Sun' is a stand-alone game, however, so you don't need the earlier ones in order to appreciate it.
Wed 26/04/00 at 02:31
Thanx Nikkie,

COME ON ALL YOU OTHERS

lets make this a bit more serious and open...get the word about etc.

Tell me the probs u and your mates have had... go on u know you wanna.

I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE HAD PROBLEMS!

hmmm maye SR will send it on to SONY if we make it REAL big!!!
Wed 19/04/00 at 18:29
Here are some cheats that i found to do during the game;

Secret Wrestlers:
Play the season mode for a different number of years to unlock different wrestlers.

Duration Secret Wrestler
1 year Ivory

2 years Prince Albert

3 years Jacqueline

4 years Viscera

5 years Mideon

6 years Gerald Brisco

7 years Pat Patterson

Things to Work For:
-After 5 years in season mode you get to start with 80 points in create a wrestler.
-After 10 years in season mode you get to start with 90 points in create a wrestler.
-After 20 years in season mode you get to start with 100 points in create a wrestler.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finishing Moves:
Get a green dot in your meter, then just press L1 from the correct position (such as off the top rope, in a grapple, etc.) to pull off your finishing move.
Enter new arenas:
To unlock new arenas; walk up the ramp and in the main area press Circle (Irish Whip).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tips:
Perform a Double-Team Springboard Plancha:
Pick either the Hardy Boyz or Edge & Christian. Set your opponent up in the corner, then move one of your guys a few steps in front of him, the other guy should be a couple steps behind him. Have the guy in front press L2 and he will squat down on all fours. Then have the other guy press Triangle and he'll run on and jump off of his partner, and if you press X in the air, he'll land on his opponent. Note your opponent doesn't have to be in the corner, but it just looks better.

Royal Rumble - Continue Fighting after Elimination:
After you have been eliminated from the Royal Rumble, another wrestler comes to the ring with their name bar where yours was located (top left for player one, top right for player two, bottom left, bottom right). When this happens press Select. You will then be able to control that wrestler.

Get an "I Quit" win:
When your opponent is laid out flat on the mat; press Circle to grab the microphone.

Pre-Season Bonuses:
Successfully complete a Pre-Season. Once WrestleMania is over, Vince McMahon will approach you in the back and tell you that you can continue with the WWF. Once he is through, the Smackdown symbol will appear, and the game will congratulate you. It will then announce that a bonus has been unlocked. These include: extra character points, The Rock's new outfit, Stevie Richards in Create-A-Wrestler mode, character skills, and a wealth option for your status.

Choose Your Weapon:
You need to be in a Hardcore match with a weapon in your hand and outside of the ring. Walk towards the ring so you don't have anywhere to go. So you're walking in one place. While walking in one place, press the R1 button to cycle through all the different weapons under the ring. Amazing what you will find!

Gain Titles fast:
In an exibition match pick your created player and select a title owner. If you are eligeble for a title then go to desision and select the title that the wrestler has. If you beat that person, then you will win the title. Then if you have a season mode you can defend your title without having to wait along time for a shot.

Tag Team champs:
If you have a single season started and you want to be a tag team champ, go to exhibition mode and select your wrestler and the partner of your choice vs. the tag team champs. If you win you will become the WWF Tag Team Champions. (Note) Make sure you save it before you go into your season again. Once you enter your season you can defend your titles.

Socko Makes it Stronger:
Choose Mankind and do his second taunt. Mankind will pull out Mr. Socko from his pants. If you do his finisher, the Mandible Claw, with Mr. Socko; the opponent will submit right away, the first time Mankind does the Mandible.
Sun 16/04/00 at 15:25
Sony have done well over the past few years to enter and dominate the console market. The playstation is a powerful machine without being too expensive, but Sega and Nintendo have been less than impressive. Sega have already allowed time to get their launch right, but Sony's line-up was poor and the price expensive. Sega have got their act together by producing a few good games and a relatively cheap system. The British market is quite fickle nowadays, and sony cannot rely on their past success to win it. Recalling all the DVD discs goes to show that no-ones perfect.
Sun 09/04/00 at 05:05
I am stuck on the end of the game. I can't figure out how to kill the last creature. I was wondering if the pillars on the back of the roof might have anything to do with it.
Sat 08/04/00 at 15:45
i agree: i've not had any prob personally (but that's cause my 'station is still quite new) but i know of so many people who've had loading probs, plasic breaking off etcetc. i really think sony should do something about it. and asking for money to replace something that broke because of them in the first place is criminal! they should've given u a new one for free and picked up their crapness in the shabbyness dept! but i doubt they're going to do much now they've got PSX 2 rolling about their workshops.
Sat 08/04/00 at 01:46
OK OK.... don't know if yo have noticed it but the PSX is one of the worst computers for build quality.

It may clearly be the BEST EVER for quality of games, but there is no point in all the games if the thing don't work.

From day 1 Sony have had to make constant changes to there little bundle of joy.

EVERY ONE i know with a playstation has had a least one problem with it. The common one being a piece of plastice flying off the middle.

By PSX does all of this, over heat, crash, bits of plastic braking off, works slow, can't read CD probley, etc. But the worst thing is i have NEVER cause any damage to the playstation or CDs. The only reason for these problems is cheap components.

Oh and guess what... I phoned up sony and they wanted £40 and my working (just) playstation for a recondintioned one, CHEEK, i could by a brand new one for £70 in specail reserve.

ANY WAY...all i really want is for sony to use better quality parts in the PSX2 'cause i am tired with th PSX being so cheap....

AND TO THE DELEVOPERS, good work keep it up y'all
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.