GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turok Evolution- Embracing Irony?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/04/02 at 18:46
Regular
Turok Evolution. Looks great doesn't it? But what has changed?

Obviously the graphics are nicer, it has to expected on a new console. Also, the enemies look set to be bigger, and quite possibly better than previous installments. Obviously there will be new weapons to aid in your quest to make dinosaurs extinct for good, but many of these will be variations on old FPS classics.

And we also have the idea that Turok is returning to its roots. Gone will be the sci-fi stylings, and the luscious jungle environments are back.

But where is the evolution of gameplay? The game looks set to improve in terms of graphics, scale, environmets, but have we heard any news of groundbreaking new gameplay innovations? No. Apparently this time around you have more opportunity to use stealth tactics, creeping around the foliage unseen and unheard and picking off enemies in the distance with sniper modes. Or using your silent weaponry, such as the bow, club and axe to take care of an enemy without alerting others. But these are hardly new innovations are they? Goldeneye and Perfect Dark used stealth to an extent, countless realistic FPS on the PC such as the Rainbow Six series use staelth, and the Theif series has been called a Stealth 'em up, so using stealth in first person shooters is hardly a new idea.

So Turok Evolution. What has evolved? Most of the evolution seems superficial. The gameplay elements are remaining essentially the same, albeit with a mild twist. By no means will this make it a bad game, I am just hoping that there will be a FPS on the GameCube that, if not revolutionises the genre, at least does evolve the gameplay somewhat.
Sat 06/04/02 at 19:37
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Anyway, back to the main point, which is although Turok Evolution is using all the best elements from previous games, and throwing in a few extra elements, it is not groundbreaking stuff.

I am really hoping that either Metroid Prime (although that's still being called a Fist person adventure, whatever that means) or Perfect Dark 0 deliver the goods on the FPS front. Last time round the N64 was the console of choice for FPS fans due to plenty of innovative and incredible games, and while Turok will be a great game, and looks like it'll have that 'wow' effect, I still want some FPS on GameCube with a little more than a superficial overhaul, and staying with a tried and tested formula, albeit with a slight twist (the stealthy element).

Anyhow, still looks like a great game, I'm just hoping for more from Perfect Dark 0 and/or Metroid.
Sat 06/04/02 at 19:50
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Edgy wrote:
> It was ok, but I felt it was too sci-fi (and I'm a big Star Trek/Wars
> fan!)

The Turok series needs to go back to it's roots, like Evolution is
> allowing it to do. Have all the sci-fi weapons yes. Make the whole game into a
> sci-fi title, no.

You went back to the first level in the first Turok game in Turok 3! And then there was other not futuristic levels. Like going through temples n stuff. It was a good mixture I thought!

:)
Sat 06/04/02 at 20:44
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Unfortuantely, it has gone multi platform now, so the Xbox and Ps2 owners can add another 'game of the century' to their bulging librarys (well, the PS2 owners have bulging libraries)

I would have preffered it to stay Nintendo only, like the way it started.
Sat 06/04/02 at 20:58
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Yer it's a REAL shame that it went multiplatform!

I can see why it did. Acclaim will make a load more money that way. But it's still a right ol' shame to see it come out on everything.

You know though, that you can rest assured that the Gamecube version is going to be better than the PS2 version anyways, cos the PS2 is really BAD at doing anti-aliasing, so it's gonna look a LOT worse than the Gamecube n X-Box incantations.

Sun 07/04/02 at 12:18
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Yer, but Tirok Evolution is being developed on GameCube and then ported to the others isn't it? I think that's right, so it means we'll get the better 'un-ported' version, and we'll probably get it a little earlier, rather than most other multi-platform games which are usually out on either PS2 or Xbox first then get a GC port.
Sun 07/04/02 at 12:36
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Actually I think you 'might' be wrong there.

I heard from someone once that all the shots that have been released so far are actually from the X-Box version. This could be false information, but who knows!

I guess we'll all find out when it's released!

Sun 07/04/02 at 12:43
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
hmm... well it better be out on GC before PS2... and I'd hope before or at the same time as Xbox...
Sun 07/04/02 at 12:52
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
It's coming out on 4th or 7th sommin' like that of September this yr and Gamecube in the UK!

Can't WAIT!

Sun 07/04/02 at 13:40
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
hmmm... I got a Q for you Cooky- if you could only EVER have one, what would it be?

Turok Evolution
OR
That Britnet dance game

???

;-)
Sun 07/04/02 at 13:43
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
obviously that shoulda been Britney, not Britnet... I'm sure Cooky guessed :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.