GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turok Evolution- Embracing Irony?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/04/02 at 18:46
Regular
Turok Evolution. Looks great doesn't it? But what has changed?

Obviously the graphics are nicer, it has to expected on a new console. Also, the enemies look set to be bigger, and quite possibly better than previous installments. Obviously there will be new weapons to aid in your quest to make dinosaurs extinct for good, but many of these will be variations on old FPS classics.

And we also have the idea that Turok is returning to its roots. Gone will be the sci-fi stylings, and the luscious jungle environments are back.

But where is the evolution of gameplay? The game looks set to improve in terms of graphics, scale, environmets, but have we heard any news of groundbreaking new gameplay innovations? No. Apparently this time around you have more opportunity to use stealth tactics, creeping around the foliage unseen and unheard and picking off enemies in the distance with sniper modes. Or using your silent weaponry, such as the bow, club and axe to take care of an enemy without alerting others. But these are hardly new innovations are they? Goldeneye and Perfect Dark used stealth to an extent, countless realistic FPS on the PC such as the Rainbow Six series use staelth, and the Theif series has been called a Stealth 'em up, so using stealth in first person shooters is hardly a new idea.

So Turok Evolution. What has evolved? Most of the evolution seems superficial. The gameplay elements are remaining essentially the same, albeit with a mild twist. By no means will this make it a bad game, I am just hoping that there will be a FPS on the GameCube that, if not revolutionises the genre, at least does evolve the gameplay somewhat.
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:46
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Turok Evolution. Looks great doesn't it? But what has changed?

Obviously the graphics are nicer, it has to expected on a new console. Also, the enemies look set to be bigger, and quite possibly better than previous installments. Obviously there will be new weapons to aid in your quest to make dinosaurs extinct for good, but many of these will be variations on old FPS classics.

And we also have the idea that Turok is returning to its roots. Gone will be the sci-fi stylings, and the luscious jungle environments are back.

But where is the evolution of gameplay? The game looks set to improve in terms of graphics, scale, environmets, but have we heard any news of groundbreaking new gameplay innovations? No. Apparently this time around you have more opportunity to use stealth tactics, creeping around the foliage unseen and unheard and picking off enemies in the distance with sniper modes. Or using your silent weaponry, such as the bow, club and axe to take care of an enemy without alerting others. But these are hardly new innovations are they? Goldeneye and Perfect Dark used stealth to an extent, countless realistic FPS on the PC such as the Rainbow Six series use staelth, and the Theif series has been called a Stealth 'em up, so using stealth in first person shooters is hardly a new idea.

So Turok Evolution. What has evolved? Most of the evolution seems superficial. The gameplay elements are remaining essentially the same, albeit with a mild twist. By no means will this make it a bad game, I am just hoping that there will be a FPS on the GameCube that, if not revolutionises the genre, at least does evolve the gameplay somewhat.
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:48
Regular
Very interesting point, maybe Perfect Dark can provide some innovation?
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:55
"+ suspicious minds"
if your not careful you are gonne do a ZELDA: wanting to be so innovative you end up making it crap.

if you can think of exucutable inovative ideas, you can moan bout how stupid turok is.

the enimys are not only bigger, but can use guns, deploy decoys and sniper you themselfs. that makes it harder yes, and maybe innovative.

i dont think it is fair to say that when all the ideas are used.

sorry about the spelling, i really hope i dont sound to much like a spamming newbie.
Sat 06/04/02 at 19:04
Regular
Maybe you're expecting a little too much from the series. It's had a lot of improvements over previous games anyway, and there's the old saying "Why fix it if it ain't broke?" I reckon too much changing of the series would damage the Turok image almost like Turok 3 did.
Sat 06/04/02 at 19:07
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I don't care!

I can't wait for this game!

I really liked the other Turok games, and this one doesn't look like it's going to disappoint! Sneaking round in the plants etc is new to the Turok games. The amount of detail to use the bushes n stuff is quite impressive and i see this game being a highly enjoyable experiance.

Who cares that it doesn't have some super duper new innovative features! It's a good ol' fashined blaster FPS! Lot's o' carnage, n blood n guts. I'm fed up with all these FPS's which try to try something new and always end up being the same. Thus i'm glad this one is going back to it's roots!

It's gonna be a gr8 game!

:)
Sat 06/04/02 at 19:11
"+ suspicious minds"
lol!

(what does that mean? is it spam talk?)
Sat 06/04/02 at 19:12
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Edgy wrote:
> Maybe you're expecting a little too much from the series. It's had a lot of
> improvements over previous games anyway, and there's the old saying "Why
> fix it if it ain't broke?" I reckon too much changing of the series would
> damage the Turok image almost like Turok 3 did.

Turok 3 was GREAT!

:)
Sat 06/04/02 at 19:13
Regular
It was ok, but I felt it was too sci-fi (and I'm a big Star Trek/Wars fan!)

The Turok series needs to go back to it's roots, like Evolution is allowing it to do. Have all the sci-fi weapons yes. Make the whole game into a sci-fi title, no.
Sat 06/04/02 at 19:29
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Boss Pac-Man wrote:
if you can think of exucutable inovative ideas, you
> can moan bout how stupid turok is.

I actually said (quoted) "By no means will this make it a bad game" ... I didn't moan about it being stupid, I pointed out there is little 'evolution' going on... pointing out the irony of its title...

the enimys are not only bigger, but can
> use guns, deploy decoys and sniper you themselfs. that makes it harder yes, and
> maybe innovative.

Sniping is not a new feature, its been around for ages. It was used in Turok 2.

i dont think it is fair to say that when all the ideas are
> used.

What do you mean all the ideas are used...? Surely you don't mean every concievable idea has already been executed? If that is what you mean, then what hope is there for ANYTHING new?
Sat 06/04/02 at 19:31
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Sibs wrote:
> Boss Pac-Man wrote:
the enimys are not only bigger, but can
> use
> guns, deploy decoys and sniper you themselfs. that makes it harder yes,
> and
> maybe innovative.

Sniping is not a new feature, its been around
> for ages. It was used in Turok 2.

Oh, and the decoys thing, they have been used in Perfect Dark (the various CamSpies, Bombspies, etc...) and I'm sure other games have used them too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.