GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAME - Customer advice (I kid you not)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 19:56
Regular
I couldn't believe what I heard today in GAME, talk about being biased (and stupid)

Here's the scene

Today I was in GAME and this guy was advising some customer on which console to buy and roughly this is what he said.

PS2 - Most popular and BEST new console, plays DVD, CD's blah blah blah holds the GTA series and the new Vice city is out soon etc....

X-Box - The PS2's ONLY real competitor also plays DVD's, CD's blah blah blah features games such as Halo etc etc

Gamecube - People only buy these if they're a fan of Nintendo, you either love them or hate them, don't really compete with the PS2 and X-Box, a good choice if young children are going to play too, features games like Mario etc....

What the hell!? This is completely true and that is more or less the exact words the guy said, shocking! How are Nintendo supposed to sell when they get reviews like that from the people selling the console? I felt like jumping in the middle of the agreeing guy who was taking it all in and prove that sucker wrong (or something).

If I worked at GAME

*Shakes fist
Wed 23/10/02 at 17:56
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Silent85 wrote:
> I would like a job in GAME somewhere any idea's how to get one???

I asked GAME this very question, you simply type up a CV (if you haven't already done one) and a quick covering letter and hand it in at your local store. A walla!

Then you can be biased when describing consoles :)
Wed 23/10/02 at 14:50
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
I'm kinda young to know, But I think that you go into the store and ask for application form and take it from there... (Fill it out in other words...)

:)
Wed 23/10/02 at 12:32
I would like a job in GAME somewhere any idea's how to get one???
Wed 23/10/02 at 12:30
Regular
"aliens exist"
okay then get this, when i went to buy Super Mario Sunshine i went early in the morning and they only had posters of mario up around the shop and no games on the shelves, so i saw all the games behind the counter in a display, so i went up to the counter and this is how the short conversation wnet,

me - hi, have u got super mario sunshine?

guy behind counter - for the gamecube?

me - errr, (totally stunned) so thought id go for then wind up, well, do u have it for the ps2 (me thinking to myself - well if u have that'd be pretty impressive),

so anyway he actually goes off to check with someone else if they have the ps2 version, and im just standing there thinking, where the hell do they get these ppl from? he's working ina game shop and he doesnt know that Mario is only out on the gamecube?

so he comes back and tells me its only out on the gamecube, so i say i'll take that, and he still didnt realise i was taking the p**s

give me strength
Tue 22/10/02 at 22:27
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Indeed.

Still. If I worked there, the PS2 and XBox sales would fall. And GCs mysterously rise......MMMWWWWAHHHHAAA!

I can be very persuasive......if the buyer is a beautiful girl my age. Damn.

;)
Tue 22/10/02 at 22:22
"High polygon count"
Oh, and don't forget... people who work at Game have their own preferences too.

I bet er-no's tried to convince no ed of people to buy Gamecube! Just because you agree with him, doesn't mean he's right! :-)
Tue 22/10/02 at 22:16
"High polygon count"
Microchips wrote:
> GAME staff are, generally, biased. People like Joby (as an example)
> have their heads screwed on right

Of course, that has nothing to do with the fact that he is actually a Nintendo fan, and that's why he's 'right'!

These people aren't biased, they're simply in business. They want people to buy the systems that will earn them the most money. That happens to be PS2 and Xbox, based purely on machine cost - the higher the price, the higher the profit margin. The more games they sell, the more profit they make.

PlayStation simply appeals to a wider audience. That means it sells more games. That means more profit for them, more bonuses, and probably a bigger pay cheque at the end of the month.

My local Game store have been heavily plugging Xbox over everything else since it was launched - so that blows a gaping hole in your conspiracy theory for a start!
Tue 22/10/02 at 21:30
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im going to send my CV into Game for their perusal, since they didnt have any application forms to hand.
Tue 22/10/02 at 21:09
Regular
Just to confirm:

RRPs of consoles:

GameCube - £129.99
X-box - £159.99
Playstation 2 - £169.99

The fact is, the PS2 is the most expensive despite being the least powerful system. Mind you, Sony could argue that the amount of games on their system, including platinum budget games makes pricing the PS2 the highest of the three, fair.
Tue 22/10/02 at 21:06
Regular
GCNewbie wrote:
Also they give lousy money for your 2nd hand games too!!!

If you take a game in to be part exchanged, you're bound to only get a little for it because of the full price of the game, and what Game actually think they'll be able to sell it for.

It's like with games on the PS2, we're having to reduce the prices of some of our pre-owned stock so that we're selling it for less than what was paid for it because some of the game have now gone platinum. IF someone were to bring a game in to be traded that had already gone platinum, they'd probably only get a fiver for it at tops.
Game have to try to make a profit on pre-owned, otherwise, what's the point? IT's amazing how many people leave the store shocked to find they wont get more than a tenner for their Game Boy pockets when we probably couldn't sell them for a tenner anyway!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.