GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMECUBE vs XBOX, battle for 2nd PLACE...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/10/02 at 22:09
Regular
Its that time of the year again, yes its right its Christmas. Santa bringing pressies to everyone etc etc.

But to the games console market this Christmas will break or make the futures of the Nintendo Gamecube and the Microsoft Xbox!

According to the group Strtegic Analytics (or whatever they are called again) say that the PS2 has clearly won the consoles war. And yes that is TRUE! Who can match Sony's 40million+ consoles sold, not even xbox or the cube can do that as quick as Sony did. Now lets look at why Sony have been so sucessful. After the success of the PS1, many users were rearing to go and buy the PS2.

The PS2 embarrased the Dreamcast, but why did this happen, well Sony threw in a DVD player, which was a good thing. But the Dreamcast had a lot of potential in it, but just did not work out. Another thing JAPAN has had a BIGGGGG influence on the PS2. The home of Sony, many Japanese people have bought the PS2, if this continues, every single household will have the PS2. Which just isn't right. Having 71% of the market share, which company can withhold Sony. Well thats down to either Microsoft or Nintendo.

The battle is on for 2nd PLACE. Yes thats right. Its Cube vs Box. Both systems have potential. My fave is the Cube, others will like the PS2 or the Xbox. But Nintendo have got the lead over Microsoft, as the cube has sold over 10 millions whereas the Xbox has only sold over 8 million boxes.

So this will be the biggest battle for 2nd place, for 2nd place in the market share. its nothing compared to 2nd place in the Formula 1 Driving campionship. Believe both consoles have great games, both will be realising online capabilities. But this Christmas will decide who's the better out of the cube and the box. Right now Nintendo have second place, but will this continue (I think it will). (Nintendo gonna have a massive cube party, this will help them sell a few more cubes, Xbox really aint got a proper marketing strategy yet, the PS2 will be doing quite a few things as well this xmas to make their console sell).

What do you all think? Which will come out to be on 2nd place? Can Sony ever stop selling the PS2? Well thats for us consumers to decide.
Mon 21/10/02 at 22:09
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
Its that time of the year again, yes its right its Christmas. Santa bringing pressies to everyone etc etc.

But to the games console market this Christmas will break or make the futures of the Nintendo Gamecube and the Microsoft Xbox!

According to the group Strtegic Analytics (or whatever they are called again) say that the PS2 has clearly won the consoles war. And yes that is TRUE! Who can match Sony's 40million+ consoles sold, not even xbox or the cube can do that as quick as Sony did. Now lets look at why Sony have been so sucessful. After the success of the PS1, many users were rearing to go and buy the PS2.

The PS2 embarrased the Dreamcast, but why did this happen, well Sony threw in a DVD player, which was a good thing. But the Dreamcast had a lot of potential in it, but just did not work out. Another thing JAPAN has had a BIGGGGG influence on the PS2. The home of Sony, many Japanese people have bought the PS2, if this continues, every single household will have the PS2. Which just isn't right. Having 71% of the market share, which company can withhold Sony. Well thats down to either Microsoft or Nintendo.

The battle is on for 2nd PLACE. Yes thats right. Its Cube vs Box. Both systems have potential. My fave is the Cube, others will like the PS2 or the Xbox. But Nintendo have got the lead over Microsoft, as the cube has sold over 10 millions whereas the Xbox has only sold over 8 million boxes.

So this will be the biggest battle for 2nd place, for 2nd place in the market share. its nothing compared to 2nd place in the Formula 1 Driving campionship. Believe both consoles have great games, both will be realising online capabilities. But this Christmas will decide who's the better out of the cube and the box. Right now Nintendo have second place, but will this continue (I think it will). (Nintendo gonna have a massive cube party, this will help them sell a few more cubes, Xbox really aint got a proper marketing strategy yet, the PS2 will be doing quite a few things as well this xmas to make their console sell).

What do you all think? Which will come out to be on 2nd place? Can Sony ever stop selling the PS2? Well thats for us consumers to decide.
Mon 21/10/02 at 22:13
Regular
you say that PS2 has one but it does have a two year advantage over the others. I think Ps2 will come second and xbox 3rd
GC is in the lead in ratio sales
Mon 21/10/02 at 22:16
Regular
"Look Ma, No Tagline"
maddmun wrote:
> you say that PS2 has one but it does have a two year advantage over
> the others. I think Ps2 will come second and xbox 3rd
> GC is in the lead in ratio sales

I know, what I was trying to say, which I forgot to say, was the Channel 4's Digitiser said that, they had some review bout which it said the Ps2 has won. I know PS2 has had a head start. Which was a bit unfair on the others. The cube is doing good at the mo. Keep it up Nintendo.
Mon 21/10/02 at 22:35
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
so the cube has sold 10milion since its launch not too long ago?

Well if they continue to sell at that rate nintendo could overtake Sony, The problem is the PS2 is starting to become a bit old. People have played it and there is nothing really new or wonderful coming out on it (part from GTA vice city and mabey 2 other games) the Gamecube has a solid lineup of decent games being launched for like the next year with many many more in development. Nintendo have so far only released a few of their biggest games (namely mario) but with both zelda and metroid coming up cube sales will really go though the roof. Also don't forget pokemon. If, as is expected nintendo announce online pokemon for the GC with GBA linkup 'cube sales will go totally mental. Everyone who has got pokemon on GB will buy it. Anyway we must wait and see. But just because sony are in the lead atm doesn't mean they have won. The cube has yet to show its full potential. Xbox is likloy to die off sooner.

Yawn
Tue 22/10/02 at 11:05
Regular
Semajal wrote>

People have played it and there is nothing really new or wonderful coming out on it (part from GTA vice city and mabey 2 other games) the Gamecube has a solid lineup of decent games being launched for like the next year with many many more in development. Nintendo have so far only released a few of their biggest games (namely mario) but with both zelda and metroid coming up cube sales will really go though the roof. Also don't forget pokemon.

Sorry but I don't consider Mario and Zelda, to be particularly ground breaking new titles infact there has been mixed reviews to Mario Sunshine saying it is ok, but not overfertly different to Mario64. Then there is the Pokemon games come on you cant be serious suggesting these could be quality titles judging by what went in the past they should stay there.
Tue 22/10/02 at 11:11
Regular
When you own the NO1 console (PS2), with the best titles and the cheapest software, why would you care who came 2nd they are irrelevant.
Tue 22/10/02 at 11:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Playstations software line up?

The blandest of the bland. PS has always, with very very few exceptions, offered the blandest games.
Tue 22/10/02 at 11:44
Regular
Yeh, most analysts and financial experts are saying the same thing, the PS2 is way out in front, and is not going to be caught. Also, there was some rubbish below about the Gamecube catching up. That is wrong as the PS2 continues to outsell its rivals, and if you want to check that you can go and take a look at console sales figures over the last year since the GC and X-Box were released. The PS2 has a massive lead, and its getting bigger and bigger everyday.

As for the games available at Christmas, that isn`t an argument that can be won so easily, I can`t just chuck in sales figures (though its certain that, for example, TimeSplitters 2 will sell more on PS2 than other consoles, and also that games exclusive to PS2 will stand a higher chance of selling more than games only on another console).

What you were arguing though wasn`t that the games wouldn`t sell, but that they weren`t any good. Perhaps then you should take off the blinkers, the rose tinted sunglasses and all the other little pieces of kit that make your vision so narrow. There are great games coming for every console. You guys are probably all excited about having Mario Sunshine and whatever else is arriving. Not a single Nintendo exclusive game interests me, and the same applies to X-box, but that doesn`t mean others won`t like what's available. Similarly, there are games that us mere 50 million PS2 owners are looking forward to, and just because you don`t want to like them doesn`t mean they aren`t any good.
Tue 22/10/02 at 12:20
"Darkness, always"
I like PS2 owners. There are enough of them around to warrant saying that buying a PS2 is the "common sense" thing to to do.

Common sense, of course, is basically the decision making of the average man.

The average man has an IQ of 100.

The average man is, therefore, pretty glum.

Ipso facto, PS2 owners are stupid.

(anyone who takes that seriously deserves the remark in full, and should have been dropped on the head at birth)
Tue 22/10/02 at 16:30
Regular
Top score wrote:
> Sorry but I don't consider Mario and Zelda, to be particularly ground
> breaking new titles

and GTA: Vice City is? it's just a remake of GTA 3 in a new city set in the 80's!
there isn't one gound breaking new title coming out on the PS2 face it, its gettin old

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.