GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Not Again, damn you Microsoft !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/10/02 at 15:59
Regular
So, for the third time this year I'm wondering whether to buy an Xbox. First I was going to get one at launch - I sold my PS2 and all the games....but then changed my mind 5 days from launch and bought a new PS2. Then, in May, I nearly had one then, but bought a Gamecube instead which I really like. Now, it's October, I've just traded in the sixth new release in a row that I bought for PS2 (Hitman 2, previously Tekken 4, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy X, and a pile of others. I'm bored of being told how great Vice City is, The Getaway will be rubbish, and Tomb Raider has been put back til next year.

What's the game that's tempted me ? Splinter Cell, looks brilliant and totally excellent. Plus, though I haven't got Broadband yet, I'm seriously impressed by MS's Xbox Live - unlike Sony's plan its clear, has major games support, and there's a definite price for it which seems quite reasonable. On top of that I still want Halo, DOA3, PGR, Buffy, Jetset Radio, Ralisport, Sega GT2002, and a fair few others.

I've belittled Microsoft's console before, but I think this Christmas their are quite a few games there to impress people.

Er...and thats it really. Pretty pointless topic eh ? Just sitting around geting ready to snipe someone on Ebay he he :)

~~Belldandy~~
Mon 11/11/02 at 15:50
I know what you mean Bell. I work in the warehouse at comet and 2 xbox's were lethal not 6 of em lol
Sun 10/11/02 at 19:39
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Tóm wrote:
> I was talking about places like WHSmith, and woolworths where it's a
> well known fact that a lot of their stores don't even bother with the
> Xbox and sometimes Gamecube.

Woolworths rolled Xbox consoles out in all stores this weekend, with software being available in 80% from 50%, and increasing to 100% by March next year.

I know, I unpacked the things last week. 1 Xbox is heavy, a container of 6 Xbox's is lethal.....

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 10/11/02 at 12:16
Regular
I went into WHSmith and asked the doped up assistant why they did'nt sell Xbox or Gamecube games. He came with "As WHSmith think Sony are better than those two rubbish consoles" Stoopid.........
Sun 10/11/02 at 12:08
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Desus Ex was supposed to have this big conspiracy theory kinda story
> to it, and it did, but I wonder how many people, including me, never
> played far enough into it to see it ? It didn't deserve 9/10, more
> like 7/10.

It takes getting into, I'll grant you that, but if you do start playing it thoroughly, you'll appreciate it's such a class game. It does deserve 9/10, if not 10, but to the casual gamer who gives it the once over, it may not seem too good.

Pick it up for £9.99 or less on the PC - better graphics and smoother gameplay. Trust me, if you give it another go, you won't be disappointed.
Sun 10/11/02 at 12:03
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> True, a game employe was talking to a costomer asking about xbox, he
> said you need to buy a memory card to save games. I was about to jump
> in and say he was gettin coned by the game guy. They are quite
> uniformed general about games, some don't even care.

Yeah! I was in GAME the other day an overheard a woman asking what would be the best console for her son. He said the PS2 was the best because it was the most powerful and could play DVDs and had the best games - and the X-Box didn't have any decent titles and was basically just a PC! When she went on to enquire about the GameCube, he said it was mainly for around seven year olds, with easy, childish games.

You can just tell he's never played on an X-Box or GameCube can't you? However, in some GAME stores the staff can be very knowledgable and helpful, even if their prices are huge compared to SR's.
Sun 10/11/02 at 12:00
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Belldandy wrote:
> How can they expect to sell something they bad mouth though ? If they
> dislike Xbox so much why even stock it ?

Read the quote from Gamezfreak in my post again. "they don't sell Xbox or Gamecube games as they have sony up their crack."

**They don't sell Xbox or gamecube games**

I was talking about places like WHSmith, and woolworths where it's a well known fact that a lot of their stores don't even bother with the Xbox and sometimes Gamecube.
Sun 10/11/02 at 10:48
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Tóm wrote:
> Which would you choose to sell?
>
> Just a thought.

How can they expect to sell something they bad mouth though ? If they dislike Xbox so much why even stock it ? if they aren't goin to support it then they should stop stocking it.

Then we can all laugh when Game goes bust, because as soon as another console comes out they'll be telling everyone how bad PS2 is, like they did when they wanted X box and GC pre orders.....

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 10/11/02 at 10:31
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
gamezfreak wrote:
they don't sell Xbox or Gamecube games as they
> have sony up their crack.

Or maybe it's because PS2 has a lot more owners, therefore it's likely that a lot more PS2 games sell making the shelf space worthwhile.

They might sell 5 PS2 games a day at £15 profit each, or 1 Xbox game a day at £15 profit.

Which would you choose to sell?

Just a thought.
Sun 10/11/02 at 10:09
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Maverick42 wrote:
> How about the plot? And it's just the little things that made it so
> great. Like finding datacubes with people's bank account details on,
> and hacking ATMs. Personally I didn't find the dialogue cheesy, not
> when compared to games such as Max Payne!

I think the dialogue suited Max Payne because of the way it was themed - everyone expected it to be like that because the basic plot - cop hsa wife/kid killed, goes after criminals and all responsible - was pretty cheesy in itself, but it played well.

Desus Ex was supposed to have this big conspiracy theory kinda story to it, and it did, but I wonder how many people, including me, never played far enough into it to see it ? It didn't deserve 9/10, more like 7/10.

What really put me off was the graphics - compared to existing titles it was poor, and the stealth element was rubbish compared to MGS2 as well.

Just didn't like it one bit really ! But then again I'm finding Buffy on the Xbox a great game....

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 10/11/02 at 01:05
"slightlyshortertagl"
Splinter Cell, yup.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.