GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Boring, predictable blah blah"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/11/02 at 13:13
Regular
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2419007.stm

BBC/Daily Mail/Stupid People begin to worry about whether GTA:Vice City will encourage violence amongst children.
Must be a slow news day.
How come nobody asks us? Because we'd laugh and walk away is why.
Altogether now kids:
Video games are evil, they warp my mind. I want to kill everyone because I played a computer game.

Here's what really makes me sick:
Stupid Parent "Grand Theft Auto will make my child evil!"

Normal Person "Take responsibility for teaching your child right and wrong then"

Stupid Parent "Little Timmy played it and he's going to worship Satan and rape people and snort drugs, I just know it"

Normal Person "Raise your child correctly then, spend time with Timmy. Stop expecting teachers to raise your children and you dump them in front of video games and tv with burgers"

Stupid Parent "But evil videogames baaaaah! Baaaaah! Baaaaaah!"

Normal Person "Why weren't you concerned when you let them go trick or treating by themselves. At night, alone? Why are you so worried about a game?"

Stupid Person "Because the paper says to be! Baaaah! Baaaah! Baaaaah!"
Fri 08/11/02 at 14:25
Regular
"relocated"
Personally I don't think anyone has the right to tell us what kids can and can't see. A child's parents certainly have the right to decide; but even then I think they lose that right once you've matured enough - and that happens WAY before you're 18.

I like to think of it this way: there's more sex and violence in A Clockwork Orange or 1984 or Lolita than there ever has been in a computer game, whether it's GTA, Barabarian (fifteen years ago now, and still no plague of crazed decapitators) or Leisure Suit Larry. I read all those books in my early teens - and 'worse' as school work - and I don't think I'm too mentally damaged by the experience. Imagine the uproar now if we tried to put age ratings on books or on paintings.
Fri 08/11/02 at 14:21
Regular
"A man with a stick"
"BBC/Daily Mail/Stupid People begin to worry about whether GTA: Vice City will encourage violence amongst children."

That enforces you're point there Rosalind, GTA: Vice City 'shouldn't' encourage violence amongst children because children 'shouldn't' be playing the game. It's rated an 18, as are most violent games in the same vein as the GTA series.

The game is meant for a mature adult audience, who should generally know the difference between simulated violence and real violence.
Fri 08/11/02 at 14:13
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Dark Mark™ wrote:

> This one kid I used to know wasn't allowed to
> play Duke Nukem 3D when it first came out because of its' 18+
> certificate. Oh, how we laughed at him.

In my opinon, an appauling attitude. Children shouldn't come into contact with material that is rated 18. It is rated 18 for a reason, children are easily influenced and don't always know the diference between right and wrong. or real and fantasy, no matter what parents tell them. Yes parents can help by being responible, sitting down with the child and discussing things. I am not suggesting that we hide the evils of the world from children, but at the end of the day why are we in such a hurry to strip our children of their innocence.

Another points. Stupid parents who comment that the game will deprave their children or whatever. The game is rated 18. Their children should not be coming into contact with it, and if they do become warped from playing the game than it the parents fault for allowing the child to play the game in the first place.
Fri 08/11/02 at 13:25
Regular
"Remember me?"
Yeah, "stupid" parents fuss-ar$ing about how videogames supposedly make children evil paedophiles with drug and drinking problems has gotten somewhat annoying. Especially when we see newspaper articles badmouthing, say, Nintendo... but persist in mentioning things like Grand Theft Auto in the same article (just using that as an example).

I suppose I'm lucky in that I've always just been left to get on with it and play what I want. This one kid I used to know wasn't allowed to play Duke Nukem 3D when it first came out because of its' 18+ certificate. Oh, how we laughed at him.
Fri 08/11/02 at 13:13
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2419007.stm

BBC/Daily Mail/Stupid People begin to worry about whether GTA:Vice City will encourage violence amongst children.
Must be a slow news day.
How come nobody asks us? Because we'd laugh and walk away is why.
Altogether now kids:
Video games are evil, they warp my mind. I want to kill everyone because I played a computer game.

Here's what really makes me sick:
Stupid Parent "Grand Theft Auto will make my child evil!"

Normal Person "Take responsibility for teaching your child right and wrong then"

Stupid Parent "Little Timmy played it and he's going to worship Satan and rape people and snort drugs, I just know it"

Normal Person "Raise your child correctly then, spend time with Timmy. Stop expecting teachers to raise your children and you dump them in front of video games and tv with burgers"

Stupid Parent "But evil videogames baaaaah! Baaaaah! Baaaaaah!"

Normal Person "Why weren't you concerned when you let them go trick or treating by themselves. At night, alone? Why are you so worried about a game?"

Stupid Person "Because the paper says to be! Baaaah! Baaaah! Baaaaah!"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.