GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty 4: Best. Shooter. Ever."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare'.
Sat 10/11/07 at 17:53
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Not kidding, best shooter I ever played.

You might 'think' that the 4-5 hour offline campaign is a little short, but stop being a wuss and stick it on Veteran, then beat it.

Then play it again and again and again in Arcade trying to beat your previous best score.

Basically you take the role of an SAS newbie called Soap, and you see most of the game through his eyes, but as part of the storyline you also get to play as US Spec Ops as well as a fantastically graphically amazing level where you play a flashback level as your SAS commander. The storyline revolves around hunting down and disposing of a terrorist whos got his mitts on some of Russia's nukes and is quite happy to launch them at the west, and along the way you'll be taking out hordes of his minions as well as a few trained attack dogs which will rip your throat out if you're not quick on the melee button.

They've got everything nailed - Graphics are the best you'll see on the 360 running in 60 frames per second throughout, offline and online, Gameplay is wonderfully paced and you won't want the offline to end but you're in for a treat when it does, Sound effects can't be faulted and overall it's a definite Game of the Year contender. Storyline... nothing really new, in fact there are little nods to lots of other games, movies and real-life events along the way which keep it interesting but you can pretty much guess the ending before you start.

But what is most totally, utterly, absolutely and compellingly addictive is the online mode. Your first online game you'll get trounced as you only have the option of Free-For-All or Deathmatch and you haven't earned any 'upgrades' yet. You gain experience points for kills as well as just turning up for the game, and these unlock Ranks.

With each Rank, you get to tweak your player just a little bit more. Silencer for your pistol? Red dot sight for your M16? Desert or Town camoflague? Suit you sir?

Then there's the 'Challenges' - Get 25 kills with your M16 and you get extra camo options. Get a 75 kills with it and you unlock a silencer for it, which makes you very deadly indeed. 100 kills? Dunno, haven't got that far yet as I'm having fun with all the other weapons I've unlocked with my rank, including the wonderfully nasty yet woefully inaccurate RPG (at least when I use it).

That's just kills, you also get extras if you do the same with each weapon but instead of just kills it's also tracking Headshots, so if you're in it for the long haul there's plenty here to unlock and you won't be doing it overnight.

Also with Rank you get Perks to tweak your player a little more - extra damage? Sure thing. Extra health? Sure thing, but you'll have to lose the extra damage and pick something else instead, like better aiming.

With 5 customisable player slots you can set up your different types of player for all the different modes which you unlock as you gain rank including Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Sabotage, King of the Hill etc, there are loads of them and loads of levels too.

Probably the most fun thing in online is the scenery, you can shoot through sheet metal, sofas, boxes, wooden crates - pretty much anything a bullet can go through in real life will penetrate in this game too - and nothing beats watching your enemy dive behind a plasterboard wall for cover as you just let rip at the wall with your heavy machine gun and take him out, except maybe using the 'Last Stand' perk to shoot the guy who just shot you with your pistol before you die.

SOCOM can take a back seat and Rainbow Six can take a hike as far as I'm concerned, CoD4: Modern Warfare is the new daddy on the block. It's the first game in ages that isn't an RPG made me lose my RPG addiction.

If you're thinking of saving the pennies for another game coming out soon, don't bother, just get this one.
Thu 15/11/07 at 17:01
"possibly impossible"
Well done on the GAD win, FM.

Unfortunately, I've had to give the game back as my mate wasn't happy with the scratched second copy from Blockbuster (why do they insist on taking it out of the case?) so I got his money back.

Now I can't play it and I'm going to have to wait to get another copy myself :(
Tue 13/11/07 at 11:16
"possibly impossible"
Single player is fantastic.

Can't wait to try out multiplayer (maybe tonight).

(Gamertag: pb live)
Mon 12/11/07 at 22:26
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Some rounds are 1 death only - no respawns.
Very enjoyable, feels like a mix of socom/ghost recon and rainbow six.
Mon 12/11/07 at 16:21
"possibly impossible"
I've got my mate's copy. He hates it. I'll play it tonight and see what it's like.

Of course, I'd buy it off him but I haven't got the money at the moment.
Mon 12/11/07 at 13:46
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
hehe sounds good. Gah now i'm super tempted.

Is there CS style death match modes where you get one life per round or is it all crappy respawn nonsense?

Time the FPS world was once again plagued by the dastardly Laker and his claymores.
Mon 12/11/07 at 13:29
Regular
Very SOCOM-esque, probably the main exception being that when you shoot someone through a wall it's by design and not by accident. Plus everything seems to work as it should, which is a nice bonus.

The major difference offline is no squad commands need to be issued, they tell you what to do.

The major difference online is that there are so many ways of levelling up.

XP gives you rank gives you weapons, levelling weapons with kills and headshots gives you camo, silencer and scope options, more rank unlocks Challenges (sprint 26 miles, survive a 15ft jump, be MVP in Team Deathmatch, get so many prone-, crouch-, grenade- kills, blow up so many cars etc..) which give you xp, more rank grants you more perks like 'Detect Bombs', 'Don't Appear on Enemy Radar', 'Extra Health', 'Faster Reload' etc, of which you can only have 3 active at any one time from each group.

And then there's Prestige Mode, which wipes everything you've earned so that you have to start all over again, with the massive bonus of having a little symbol next to your name to indicate you've played a bit.

So it's kinda like if SOCOM and Disgaea had a baby.
Mon 12/11/07 at 00:03
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Have been interested in this but with the amount of money i've spent this month i've tried to hold off. From the videos i've seen it does look very Socom esque in the way it plays and tactics and such, is that right? Plus claymores always appeal to me :-D

May get it and dare to venture into the online FPS live world for the first time ever.
Sun 11/11/07 at 16:51
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Couldn't agree more - possibly the best game I've ever played online and the single player is great fun.

Can see me playing this a lot.
Sat 10/11/07 at 17:53
Regular
Not kidding, best shooter I ever played.

You might 'think' that the 4-5 hour offline campaign is a little short, but stop being a wuss and stick it on Veteran, then beat it.

Then play it again and again and again in Arcade trying to beat your previous best score.

Basically you take the role of an SAS newbie called Soap, and you see most of the game through his eyes, but as part of the storyline you also get to play as US Spec Ops as well as a fantastically graphically amazing level where you play a flashback level as your SAS commander. The storyline revolves around hunting down and disposing of a terrorist whos got his mitts on some of Russia's nukes and is quite happy to launch them at the west, and along the way you'll be taking out hordes of his minions as well as a few trained attack dogs which will rip your throat out if you're not quick on the melee button.

They've got everything nailed - Graphics are the best you'll see on the 360 running in 60 frames per second throughout, offline and online, Gameplay is wonderfully paced and you won't want the offline to end but you're in for a treat when it does, Sound effects can't be faulted and overall it's a definite Game of the Year contender. Storyline... nothing really new, in fact there are little nods to lots of other games, movies and real-life events along the way which keep it interesting but you can pretty much guess the ending before you start.

But what is most totally, utterly, absolutely and compellingly addictive is the online mode. Your first online game you'll get trounced as you only have the option of Free-For-All or Deathmatch and you haven't earned any 'upgrades' yet. You gain experience points for kills as well as just turning up for the game, and these unlock Ranks.

With each Rank, you get to tweak your player just a little bit more. Silencer for your pistol? Red dot sight for your M16? Desert or Town camoflague? Suit you sir?

Then there's the 'Challenges' - Get 25 kills with your M16 and you get extra camo options. Get a 75 kills with it and you unlock a silencer for it, which makes you very deadly indeed. 100 kills? Dunno, haven't got that far yet as I'm having fun with all the other weapons I've unlocked with my rank, including the wonderfully nasty yet woefully inaccurate RPG (at least when I use it).

That's just kills, you also get extras if you do the same with each weapon but instead of just kills it's also tracking Headshots, so if you're in it for the long haul there's plenty here to unlock and you won't be doing it overnight.

Also with Rank you get Perks to tweak your player a little more - extra damage? Sure thing. Extra health? Sure thing, but you'll have to lose the extra damage and pick something else instead, like better aiming.

With 5 customisable player slots you can set up your different types of player for all the different modes which you unlock as you gain rank including Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Sabotage, King of the Hill etc, there are loads of them and loads of levels too.

Probably the most fun thing in online is the scenery, you can shoot through sheet metal, sofas, boxes, wooden crates - pretty much anything a bullet can go through in real life will penetrate in this game too - and nothing beats watching your enemy dive behind a plasterboard wall for cover as you just let rip at the wall with your heavy machine gun and take him out, except maybe using the 'Last Stand' perk to shoot the guy who just shot you with your pistol before you die.

SOCOM can take a back seat and Rainbow Six can take a hike as far as I'm concerned, CoD4: Modern Warfare is the new daddy on the block. It's the first game in ages that isn't an RPG made me lose my RPG addiction.

If you're thinking of saving the pennies for another game coming out soon, don't bother, just get this one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.