GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty 4: Best. Shooter. Ever."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare'.
Sat 10/11/07 at 17:53
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Not kidding, best shooter I ever played.

You might 'think' that the 4-5 hour offline campaign is a little short, but stop being a wuss and stick it on Veteran, then beat it.

Then play it again and again and again in Arcade trying to beat your previous best score.

Basically you take the role of an SAS newbie called Soap, and you see most of the game through his eyes, but as part of the storyline you also get to play as US Spec Ops as well as a fantastically graphically amazing level where you play a flashback level as your SAS commander. The storyline revolves around hunting down and disposing of a terrorist whos got his mitts on some of Russia's nukes and is quite happy to launch them at the west, and along the way you'll be taking out hordes of his minions as well as a few trained attack dogs which will rip your throat out if you're not quick on the melee button.

They've got everything nailed - Graphics are the best you'll see on the 360 running in 60 frames per second throughout, offline and online, Gameplay is wonderfully paced and you won't want the offline to end but you're in for a treat when it does, Sound effects can't be faulted and overall it's a definite Game of the Year contender. Storyline... nothing really new, in fact there are little nods to lots of other games, movies and real-life events along the way which keep it interesting but you can pretty much guess the ending before you start.

But what is most totally, utterly, absolutely and compellingly addictive is the online mode. Your first online game you'll get trounced as you only have the option of Free-For-All or Deathmatch and you haven't earned any 'upgrades' yet. You gain experience points for kills as well as just turning up for the game, and these unlock Ranks.

With each Rank, you get to tweak your player just a little bit more. Silencer for your pistol? Red dot sight for your M16? Desert or Town camoflague? Suit you sir?

Then there's the 'Challenges' - Get 25 kills with your M16 and you get extra camo options. Get a 75 kills with it and you unlock a silencer for it, which makes you very deadly indeed. 100 kills? Dunno, haven't got that far yet as I'm having fun with all the other weapons I've unlocked with my rank, including the wonderfully nasty yet woefully inaccurate RPG (at least when I use it).

That's just kills, you also get extras if you do the same with each weapon but instead of just kills it's also tracking Headshots, so if you're in it for the long haul there's plenty here to unlock and you won't be doing it overnight.

Also with Rank you get Perks to tweak your player a little more - extra damage? Sure thing. Extra health? Sure thing, but you'll have to lose the extra damage and pick something else instead, like better aiming.

With 5 customisable player slots you can set up your different types of player for all the different modes which you unlock as you gain rank including Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Sabotage, King of the Hill etc, there are loads of them and loads of levels too.

Probably the most fun thing in online is the scenery, you can shoot through sheet metal, sofas, boxes, wooden crates - pretty much anything a bullet can go through in real life will penetrate in this game too - and nothing beats watching your enemy dive behind a plasterboard wall for cover as you just let rip at the wall with your heavy machine gun and take him out, except maybe using the 'Last Stand' perk to shoot the guy who just shot you with your pistol before you die.

SOCOM can take a back seat and Rainbow Six can take a hike as far as I'm concerned, CoD4: Modern Warfare is the new daddy on the block. It's the first game in ages that isn't an RPG made me lose my RPG addiction.

If you're thinking of saving the pennies for another game coming out soon, don't bother, just get this one.
Mon 28/01/08 at 14:36
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yea IW do the even numbered games and Treyarch do the odd numbered. Is pretty stupid, after the awesomeness of 4 they should have just told Treyarch to take their boring ideas and crap game making skills elsewhere and given it to IW permanently
Mon 28/01/08 at 13:41
Regular
If Treyarch are making another Call of Duty game, I'd give it a wide birth. I can't believe after the disaster that was CoD 3 that they'd let those halfwits make another game....but then they let them make Spider-man 3 so i guess stupider things have happened.
Mon 28/01/08 at 10:12
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Its a different developer that is working on COD5 - which is why they are going back to the older style COD games. Infinity ward will be doing another one after that.
Sun 27/01/08 at 21:43
Regular
"Soul Calibur RULES!"
Black8704 wrote:
> CliffBird wrote:
>
>
> I can't wait for Call Of Duty 5!!!
>
> Exactly what I was thinking until I read that they are going
> back to the world war feeling for number 5. It's a bit of a
> shame really and it feels like they are just trying to push out
> another game asap. I liked the other call of duty games but to
> me no.4 was a huge leap from the others!
> I don't understand why they would go back :(
> Let's hope it's not a major dissapointment!

Oh no!!! I completly agree, the world war games were good but COD 4 was in another league!!!

Oh well Halo 4 it is then LOL
Sun 27/01/08 at 17:49
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Been playing on Merc TDM lately to get my Win/Loss record to somewhere nearing respectable again but my god there's alot of fricking morons on there. I'm there watching an entry way so what do they do, stand right infront of me and watch the same door, so i move over to the other side to stop us getting shot in the back and they move over with me, so god damn annoying. Is alot harder though than FFA as there's more Prestiege players running around, i had a quick return on FFA at the end of last night and went 18-0 on Overgrown, wasn't even a challenge.

The team set up is messed up as well, i've had games where they've put all the Prestiege players on one team while leaving the 1-25's all on one team, or after a game they keep 3 of the 4 best scorers all on one team. Hope they sort it out in the patch whenever it bloody arrives.
Sun 27/01/08 at 10:58
Regular
"Hello?"
CliffBird wrote:

>
> I can't wait for Call Of Duty 5!!!

Exactly what I was thinking until I read that they are going back to the world war feeling for number 5. It's a bit of a shame really and it feels like they are just trying to push out another game asap. I liked the other call of duty games but to me no.4 was a huge leap from the others!
I don't understand why they would go back :(
Let's hope it's not a major dissapointment!
Sun 27/01/08 at 02:01
Regular
"Soul Calibur RULES!"
I'd have to agree, COD 4 is simply the best FPS around. So the 1 player game's a little short, it will still take you ages on veteran!!! And the best level of any game I have ever played is "mile high club" on veteran. You have to do the level in under a minute it's simply brilliant, I've done the level but it's so good I keep playing it over and over again, and it's so much fun using the slow motion cheat an only the pistol!!!

Everyone should buy an xbox 360 and a copy of COD 4 just to play this level!!! Oh and the online xbox live multiplayer is also brilliant, you have to level up to get extra weapons and attachments, it keeps you hooked!

I can't wait for Call Of Duty 5!!!
Tue 22/01/08 at 11:57
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Thanks Kawada

Just loaned my copy of COD4 to my stepbrother, so will have to stealit back for a game wit you sometime.
Tue 22/01/08 at 09:14
Regular
"Hello?"
sorry double post
Tue 22/01/08 at 09:14
Regular
"Hello?"
I Am still totatly addiced to this game. The online mode seems like it will live forever. Well until Battlefield Bad Company comes along. I hope that game will live up to my expectations!
So has anyone got any of the gold guns on online mode yet?
I've got the gold desert eagle but that's pretty standard, working my way to getting the gold ak47. Just seems to be taking forever!
I've also been trying out some of the secret glitches in the old school mode, they're quite fun.
I loved the single player too, yeah it's short but i really can't complete some of the missions on veteran mode. Anyone else find this mode quite challenging?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.