GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty 4: Best. Shooter. Ever."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare'.
Sat 10/11/07 at 17:53
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Not kidding, best shooter I ever played.

You might 'think' that the 4-5 hour offline campaign is a little short, but stop being a wuss and stick it on Veteran, then beat it.

Then play it again and again and again in Arcade trying to beat your previous best score.

Basically you take the role of an SAS newbie called Soap, and you see most of the game through his eyes, but as part of the storyline you also get to play as US Spec Ops as well as a fantastically graphically amazing level where you play a flashback level as your SAS commander. The storyline revolves around hunting down and disposing of a terrorist whos got his mitts on some of Russia's nukes and is quite happy to launch them at the west, and along the way you'll be taking out hordes of his minions as well as a few trained attack dogs which will rip your throat out if you're not quick on the melee button.

They've got everything nailed - Graphics are the best you'll see on the 360 running in 60 frames per second throughout, offline and online, Gameplay is wonderfully paced and you won't want the offline to end but you're in for a treat when it does, Sound effects can't be faulted and overall it's a definite Game of the Year contender. Storyline... nothing really new, in fact there are little nods to lots of other games, movies and real-life events along the way which keep it interesting but you can pretty much guess the ending before you start.

But what is most totally, utterly, absolutely and compellingly addictive is the online mode. Your first online game you'll get trounced as you only have the option of Free-For-All or Deathmatch and you haven't earned any 'upgrades' yet. You gain experience points for kills as well as just turning up for the game, and these unlock Ranks.

With each Rank, you get to tweak your player just a little bit more. Silencer for your pistol? Red dot sight for your M16? Desert or Town camoflague? Suit you sir?

Then there's the 'Challenges' - Get 25 kills with your M16 and you get extra camo options. Get a 75 kills with it and you unlock a silencer for it, which makes you very deadly indeed. 100 kills? Dunno, haven't got that far yet as I'm having fun with all the other weapons I've unlocked with my rank, including the wonderfully nasty yet woefully inaccurate RPG (at least when I use it).

That's just kills, you also get extras if you do the same with each weapon but instead of just kills it's also tracking Headshots, so if you're in it for the long haul there's plenty here to unlock and you won't be doing it overnight.

Also with Rank you get Perks to tweak your player a little more - extra damage? Sure thing. Extra health? Sure thing, but you'll have to lose the extra damage and pick something else instead, like better aiming.

With 5 customisable player slots you can set up your different types of player for all the different modes which you unlock as you gain rank including Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Sabotage, King of the Hill etc, there are loads of them and loads of levels too.

Probably the most fun thing in online is the scenery, you can shoot through sheet metal, sofas, boxes, wooden crates - pretty much anything a bullet can go through in real life will penetrate in this game too - and nothing beats watching your enemy dive behind a plasterboard wall for cover as you just let rip at the wall with your heavy machine gun and take him out, except maybe using the 'Last Stand' perk to shoot the guy who just shot you with your pistol before you die.

SOCOM can take a back seat and Rainbow Six can take a hike as far as I'm concerned, CoD4: Modern Warfare is the new daddy on the block. It's the first game in ages that isn't an RPG made me lose my RPG addiction.

If you're thinking of saving the pennies for another game coming out soon, don't bother, just get this one.
Sun 06/01/08 at 07:21
Regular
"the Great"
This is a great game, loved 'last man standing' feature in the multi player game, where you can still shoot a few rounds when your lying on the floor nearly dead. you have to make sure you check people are dead before turning your back.

i played this on pc tho not xbox, dont know if there are any differences.
i also just finished playing through crysis which i have to say i a master piece and the best game ive played in years
but cod4 is amazing and would recommend to everyone
Sat 05/01/08 at 23:31
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
the M16 is really good, don't really notice while using it but after switching to the M4 Carbine for a bit to get some challenges and having to unload half a clip into the guy for him to go down instead of the usual 2 or 3 of the M16 then you really appreciate how good it is. Also loving the shotgun on levels like Wetwork.
Sat 05/01/08 at 09:46
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I swear this is one of the most advertised games on TV and at the cinema at the moment, I think they know I want it so badly. :(
Wed 02/01/08 at 17:15
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Just unlocked the claymores, absolutely love them, taking me back to the good old days of Socom only now i don't have to activate them myself :-D Allows me to concentrate on what's infront of me and not constantly have to worry about my back. Just won 4 games out of 6 on free for all with them and finished 20-1 on Ambush just. Awesome game, love it.
Sat 29/12/07 at 18:10
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Got to level 10 after playing this afternoon, really enjoying it so far, there was only one idiot on there but he got served by this Scottish guy. Got my red dot which means i can start getting my long range kills now whereas before i was just having to let them go.
Tue 18/12/07 at 11:49
"possibly impossible"
Really really still need to get online with this now I have another copy...
Mon 17/12/07 at 00:18
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
There's an update due for the game soon which includes a tweak to optimise matchmaking. In the meantime if you get thrown in a room with a bunch of 55s make the most of it, you'll find out all the good spots by watching where the bullets, grenades, knives, claymores, C4, 500lb bombs etc come from on the killcam.

You can also practice in a room on your own to find your way around the online levels.

The perks aren't really all that advantageous, just make sure that when you shoot someone you shoot them dead in case they have last stand (whip out a pistol to take out who shot them) and keep moving in case they have martyrdom (drop a grenade when they die).

My biggest kill streaks come from high ground with claymores backing me up and I always squeeze the trigger three times on an M16. When I run out of bullets I whip out a pistol, run over to the claymores and pick up a new weapon from one of the bodies there if that helps.
Sat 15/12/07 at 21:24
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
got this and Halo 3 finally the other day. Played Call of Duty 4 first and i haven't bothered with Halo 3 yet. Very short single player but also a very good one, might go online with it tomorrow. Do you get put in games with similar ranked people as you? I'd hate to have my first games be in a room filled with level 55's with every perk under the sun
Thu 22/11/07 at 22:56
Regular
"eat toast!"
You know, i pre ordered the game way back in october and due to a mess up somewhere during processing, i didn't get it. I think i'll sit this one out and then wait for it to get really cheap.

Mind you preordering it for 19.99 is a steal.
Thu 22/11/07 at 22:46
"keep a rockin'"
sounds pretty coooool =D cant wait to get it .

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.