GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is it just me or..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/11/02 at 20:35
Regular
Is Xbox Live not on anyone elses priority list? It really isn't something that I am desperate to get and to be honest I think that too much emphesis is being placed upon it. Don't get me wrong I think that downloading new levels and extras will be superb but it isn't something that I can't wait to get. I also don't care too much about playing people across Xbox Live because I aren't into Multi-Player games that much and if I am I invite a friend around to play Halo and Dead or Alive 3 etc!

The service is going to be superb and by far the best online service out of all 3 consoles by a long shot. If a game focuses on Multi-Player over songle player then I avoid getting it, also if a PC game is based around online play I avoid getting it as well. The biggest asset to Xbox Live is the ability to download new levels and characters in my opinion and this is the only reason I will pick it up sometime next year. However until then I value my money on buying the great games on the Xbox between now and Christmas over concentrating on Xbox Live.

By the way has anyone checked the latest IGN reviews for Xbox? The games are scoring highly and there are a few on there that I wasn't expecting to be any good!

Anyone feel the same way? Am I on my own with this one?
Wed 13/11/02 at 09:46
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Also, as has been pointed out to me several times in the PS2 forum,
> add-on's for consoles generally don't do well, historically speaking.
> And the online services, both for Xbox and PS2, are essentially
> add-ons.

In the past though add ons have not really been anything major - mainly light guns and mouses, or other gimmicky things which allowed the buyer to play better, or play, only a small amount of games they could otherwise not play. Look at the Gcon 2 on PS2 - there's about 6 games for it, the PSone mouse had about 4 games for it, maybe a few more, but nothing that made people go "I need that mouse thing".

Microsoft - I don't know too much about Sony - have a large line up of games that have done well as similar PC online games, same as SOCOM is doing well for Sony in the USA.

In the UK Broadband is the stumbling block, but the problem is not availability - though thats not much good if you live out in the country.... - but pricing. Even so, I think a lot of PC owners with dial up are looking for a reason to have broadband, and this could be it.

I've never played a PC game online, can't be bothered to be honest, but I will play Xbox games online just as soon as I get Broadband and the starter kit. I think a lot of people will be doing the same, and more so when it officially launches in March.

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 13/11/02 at 09:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I personally am not a big fan of online gaming - I always find it to
> be somewhat lacking. Admittedly I have no experience of Xbox live

I think I am a bit like you, I have had a PC for years and never really bothered playing any of the games online. All my friends have been mad over Counter Strike e.t.c. but I havent bothered. I havent really bothered about games.

But XBox Live may add alot more enjoyment to online gaming than a PC can. Playing Moto GP online is pretty damn good, and I am not even very fussed on the game. If I was playing on my own or even split screen I wouldnt even bother. But playing 16 player games adds more to the game, as basically your sat playing your XBox on your own. Its like the other bikes are AI, but you can talk to them, you laugh at them when the fall off.

Now there are some really amazing multi-player games coming out on XBox, namely Unreal Championship, which you may not want Wookiee as you said you didnt like smallish levels. Also theres Ghost Recon and Mech Assault.

Ghost Recon is like all the other Tom Clancy type games, where your a team and you have to complete missions e.t.c. Now imagine a 16 player game which you can have, on massive Urban ma, or even a Jungle type map. Your 2 teams of eight working around the levels in steath trying to pick each other off. Or you and a team trying to complete the normal missions.

Mech Assault is also similar to Ghost Recon, but in Mechs. It does look amazing, and nothing like Steel Battlion(the one with the massive controller). Again this is going to be pretty special online, with teams of 8 people battling out. Really its like playing agaisnt the computer, but you can talk to them, they are real people.

Unreal Championship is also pretty similar to the others but is a FPS, so you have the normal team options but you also have the all out 16 player deathmatch.

I think that anyone who has broadband should consider XBox Live. Its not much £40 the price of a game. You get 12 months subscription so that any XBox Live game works, its easy to set up, easy to use e.t.c. Anyone who has doubts about getting it should try and play it round a mates house or maybe even take the plunge and get signed up for the Test Drive phase starting in a few weeks time. Sign up at

www.xbox.com/uk/live /testdrive.htm (remove space)

and test it for yourselft £42.99 including delivery and then you get a subscription till March 14th 2004.
Wed 13/11/02 at 08:59
Regular
Garbe wrote: "Is it just me?"

No, I feel the same way. I'm not that bothered about playing online.
What keeps me interested in gaming is playing brilliant and innovative single-player games.
Xbox Live is impressive, but I won't be getting it - at least not initially.

I'm a bit of a gaming monk - I like to play games alone. I think I've always seen gaming as a nice escape from the world and people.
My idea of gaming heaven is a fantastic and immersive single-player game.

Perhaps I'll be converted to online gaming in the future, but I'll just sit on the sidelines for now, and see how things progress.
Wed 13/11/02 at 00:40
Regular
"everyone says it"
Yeah, online gaming will take off, but if any of you are apart of any of the major online games you will notice that they don't last long and you have to cost to keep playing the game.

That could be a downfall.
Wed 13/11/02 at 00:38
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
I think online gaming will take off big time, it may take a year or so to pick up steam but it will happen. The companies will want to push online gaming cause it extends the life of games, with extra levels and things to add to single player and with the multiplayer format that is already so succesfull with PC's. I think only good things will come from Xbox live, it might not do very well the first 6 months but i dont think that will affect it in the long run.

such a shame i have to sell mine :(
Wed 13/11/02 at 00:02
"High polygon count"
Belldandy wrote:
> If online gaming fails in the UK we'll get left behind, simple as that.

Then, in all honesty, I'd say we're likely to get left behind. Broadband isn't available to everyone, and even where it is available, take-up is slow.

Also, as has been pointed out to me several times in the PS2 forum, add-on's for consoles generally don't do well, historically speaking. And the online services, both for Xbox and PS2, are essentially add-ons.

It could well be that online console gaming is the driving force behind a sudden massive surge in broadband take-up. But all I'm saying is that it could just as easily turn into one of the biggest white elephants in console gaming history.

I personally am not a big fan of online gaming - I always find it to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly I have no experience of Xbox live, but for example, in an FPS game, I enjoy exploring large, well thought out levels. Online titles usually have small arena-style levels, so that the players are never too far from an opponent. That just doesn't appeal to me. Anything with larger levels is usually an RPG, which - quite frankly - I can't stand.

The only supposedly online titles holding even the slightest interest for me at the moment is Gran Turismo 4, and - possibly - Resident Evil Online.

Add to that that most of my mates live relatively nearby, and I'd rather have them round for a game where we can mock each other face-to-face and it isn't costing me a penny, except for the electricity bill!

So, in short: if it does take off - fantastic. If it doesn't - I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it.
Tue 12/11/02 at 23:39
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Belldandy wrote:
> It's going well in America, less well in Japan, but Europe and the USA
> are fast becoming the main markets instead of Japan. If online gaming
> fails in the UK we'll get left behind, simple as that. With MS
> offering a discounted subscription and starter kit for the first year
> or so then you can't really complain about price - think it is
> £50 for the headset, disc, years sub, and two games !

It was £42.99 for the kit and you dont get two game, you get two demos. A 3 level version of Whacked and 3 level version of Moto GP. If you have a save game with all the tracks unlocked e.t.c. with the full version of Moto GP then you can play all the tracks. So really you could rent it for the weekend and save your game, unlock everything and use it on XBox Live with the demo disc, as it does work i've tried it :).

Having XBox Live right now I can say that some games I wouldnt have considered are on my list of games to get. Ghost Recon and Mech Assault are games are probably wouldnt have got, but seeing the XBox Live video with Mech Assault on has changed my mind.

Moto GP is really addictive on XBox Live and I basically dont really consider it to be a game I would normally play in single player or split screen. But playing against people from America and Europe really makes it addictive. Everyone is talking to each other, racing against each other e.t.c.

I think if you try XBox Live you will get addicted pretty quickly. Just spent about an 90mins just now playing it. Racked up about 4.5 hours of game time in just 2 days on 2 games that I wouldnt normally play. Now think of the fun you could have with 2 teams of 8 battling on Unreal Championship, with everyone talking to each other as they play.
Tue 12/11/02 at 23:09
Regular
"everyone says it"
It is a gamble.
Tue 12/11/02 at 23:07
Regular
It's not a gamble in America.

I don't know a single American who doesn't have cable. And it will be pretty cheap too, a certain something a month for the connection. They'll set it up and play online just as simply as playing split screen with some mates.

Over here is a different matter, I don't think more than 50% of people will actually get anything out of it.

Still, it has to start somewhere.
Tue 12/11/02 at 23:03
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> On the other hand, online console gaming could fall flat on its face
> all round. If take-up isn't good, that could force prices up,
> eventually alienating the initial early takers.
>
> It's a big gamble for everyone, I think.

It's going well in America, less well in Japan, but Europe and the USA are fast becoming the main markets instead of Japan. If online gaming fails in the UK we'll get left behind, simple as that. With MS offering a discounted subscription and starter kit for the first year or so then you can't really complain about price - think it is £50 for the headset, disc, years sub, and two games !

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.