GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is it just me or..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/11/02 at 20:35
Regular
Is Xbox Live not on anyone elses priority list? It really isn't something that I am desperate to get and to be honest I think that too much emphesis is being placed upon it. Don't get me wrong I think that downloading new levels and extras will be superb but it isn't something that I can't wait to get. I also don't care too much about playing people across Xbox Live because I aren't into Multi-Player games that much and if I am I invite a friend around to play Halo and Dead or Alive 3 etc!

The service is going to be superb and by far the best online service out of all 3 consoles by a long shot. If a game focuses on Multi-Player over songle player then I avoid getting it, also if a PC game is based around online play I avoid getting it as well. The biggest asset to Xbox Live is the ability to download new levels and characters in my opinion and this is the only reason I will pick it up sometime next year. However until then I value my money on buying the great games on the Xbox between now and Christmas over concentrating on Xbox Live.

By the way has anyone checked the latest IGN reviews for Xbox? The games are scoring highly and there are a few on there that I wasn't expecting to be any good!

Anyone feel the same way? Am I on my own with this one?
Wed 13/11/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
garbe123 wrote:
> As well as that I would like to see OXM having the extras on their
> monthly DVD so that they can be uploaded onto the Hard Drive that way.

Yeah maybe they will include the extras. But MS intend to charge you for extras, it says so on XBox Live. You can turn off purchasing or leave it on. You wont download anything with out knowing the cost of it first, so you dont need to worry in downloading stuff you dont want.
Wed 13/11/02 at 18:49
Regular
Xbox Live is one of the reasons why i brought my Xbox. I Do love single player games, actually they are excellent.

But Online gaming is a different story, Xbox Live will be like getting a whole new console, My Xbox will be used for Single player/System link games and Xbox Live will be for (obviously) Multiplayer Mayhem.

In the past I have been addicited to Online gaming on PC.

I've played: -

Age of Empires
Age of Empires: Rise of Rome Expansion
Age of Empires 2
Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors Expansion
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds

(As you can see im a big fan of RTS, and my PC was too crap for the more advanced games)
Wed 13/11/02 at 17:44
Also I feel microsoft's internet gaming experience will make the xbox jump in ratings immensely
Wed 13/11/02 at 17:31
Regular
As well as that I would like to see OXM having the extras on their monthly DVD so that they can be uploaded onto the Hard Drive that way. There are so many ways and methods for using the Xbox Hard Drive but I believe that they will only be utilised fully once Xbox Live is released.
Wed 13/11/02 at 17:27
Demo disks might include them anyways if the should ever god forbid add them.
Wed 13/11/02 at 17:24
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Windowlicker wrote:
> i just hope that any 'extras' which can be downloaded will just be
> 'extras'. I hate it when you buy a pc game, goto play it online and
> you cant because you dont have the latest version. With
> Counter-strike, whenever the next update is released you sometimes
> have to wait a week to download it, the servers get flooded with
> traffic and slow the downloads up massivly, or they just wont let you
> download cause too many people are already trying too.

The use of Broadband only would mean that, even if you did need a newer version occasionaly, it'll hardly take any time to download anyway. Counter Strike updates are no problem with Broadband - my mates used to use sixth form ADSL to get them in a matter of minutes - and the servers are only flooded for dial up users. Microsoft have a whole building of servers just for the Xbox Live network anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 13/11/02 at 17:22
It surely wont be that bad plus with a all broadband service the download speeds will be great.
Wed 13/11/02 at 17:18
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
i just hope that any 'extras' which can be downloaded will just be 'extras'. I hate it when you buy a pc game, goto play it online and you cant because you dont have the latest version. With Counter-strike, whenever the next update is released you sometimes have to wait a week to download it, the servers get flooded with traffic and slow the downloads up massivly, or they just wont let you download cause too many people are already trying too.
Wed 13/11/02 at 17:07
Regular
I believe that Online console gaming will take off in a very big way once Xbox Live is released world-wide but it isn't something that I waznt to be part of. I read Tom's post and he is right about what he says, there are too many great single player games that I would rather have over a broadband subscription and Xbox Live. Next year I will look into it in a bigger way but for now I am happy with the games I have/am getting, after all I can play games online via my PC so if I get broadband it won't definitley mean that I will be getting Xbox Live unless the downloading levels and extras is going to be as good as they say...
Wed 13/11/02 at 14:13
everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I like you dont ever want online only games to rear their ugly head by the bucketload a la dreamcast. Nothing beats getting in a really involving single player storyline.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.