GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC games are for rich and stupid."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/11/02 at 15:05
Regular
After just reading the spec from Gta VC on the PC, I had to laugh at the sort of power you need to run this game. 800mhz PC with 32mb graphics card. My laptop which is only 2 years old the same as my PS2 I might add has 700mhz and 16mb graphics card would not be able to run this game at optimum performance and we all know the consequences of that. Missing scenery less objects and slowdown problems, all qualities stupid PC gamers love in there games so I say carry on I will stick to my clapped out old PS2 which will play the game properly because it was designed too.
Wed 20/11/02 at 13:06
"Darkness, always"
Top score wrote:
> As for PC gaming i would not give the people the satisfaction of
> buying PC games after I had to spend say £1500 on a new one,

Anyone who spends that much on a PC should be shot. A top of the range PC can be put together for less than a grand. I intend to perform this feat for roughly £700.

And that's not £700 of games machine. It will do things that your consoles lack the capacity to even dream of.
Wed 20/11/02 at 13:01
Regular
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:

> And on a related topic, after some of the comments in this thread I
> find it rather ironic that *all* console games are actually developed
> on PCs. Funny that.

Funny that the Xbox takes so long to get PC ported games, if indeed it's a developers dream then why the hell are there more PC to PS2 converted games than Xbox.

As for PC gaming i would not give the people the satisfaction of buying PC games after I had to spend say £1500 on a new one,

Damn right its expensive and that's my point gaming is for everyone not just the rich.

Also I am not poor precisely because I don't go wasting my money on top of the range PC's every couple of years instead I choose to spend my money on my Lexus IS200 try being poor and running one of them.
Wed 20/11/02 at 11:27
"You love us!"
Update2.01 wrote:
> Yea, that might be true, but there will be a lot of pc's out there
> that wont be able to run DOOM3 as well. Doom3 for XBox will be de
> tuned so that the P3 chip can run it as well.

Yeah but you've missed the point. I know that older PCs may not be able to run Doom 3. The point is that, *if you have the money* you'll have a kick-butt PC that will run the game perfectly. It doesn’t matter if you had £10,000 to spend, you still wouldn’t be able to get Doom 3 running on a PS2.

As I said, you need money to keep a PC bang-up-to-date, but if you *can afford to do so*, it'll wipe the floor with anything.

And on a related topic, after some of the comments in this thread I find it rather ironic that *all* console games are actually developed on PCs. Funny that.
Wed 20/11/02 at 11:04
"Darkness, always"
ellisuk wrote:
> PC games are good but the advantage of a console is that if a game is
> released for that console you know it will deffinately play it. With
> PC's, its different. You'll only be able to play the games your PC can
> support. That's why in my opinion consoles are better.

if a game is released FOR THAT CONSOLE as you said yourself. So for some, the only way to play all the games they like is to own all the consoles. If you've bought a PC in the last 3 years, you can play pretty much any PC game on it. Maybe not at top spec, but graphics a game does not make.
Wed 20/11/02 at 11:00
Regular
If I play games on PC's they will be stategy games such as C&C and Age Of Empires. Leave everything else to consoles.

PC games are good but the advantage of a console is that if a game is released for that console you know it will deffinately play it. With PC's, its different. You'll only be able to play the games your PC can support. That's why in my opinion consoles are better.
Wed 20/11/02 at 10:55
"Darkness, always"
Doom 3 is going to be optimised for processors as old as P3s anyway, meaning my PIII 866 should handle it. Regardless, I'll be making some changes to my PC next year anyway. It's lasted more than 2 years with its spec, and wasn't exactly "high-end" to start with.
Wed 20/11/02 at 10:42
Regular
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> However, as everyone knows, a top end PC costs lots of cash. But
> whatever the cost, if you can afford it, PCs are still capable of
> doing it. Can you imagine Doom 3 running on a PS2? No, not in a
> millions years.

Yea, that might be true, but there will be a lot of pc's out there that wont be able to run DOOM3 as well. Doom3 for XBox will be de tuned so that the P3 chip can run it as well.
Wed 20/11/02 at 10:37
"Darkness, always"
Update2.01 wrote:
> What we have to ask, is why do PC's cost so much?
>
> There's lots of component parts. Most (not all) PC manufacturers dont
> do much R&D, they buy the kit of the shelf. Why would a Tiny PC
> cost so much?

Because they aim to make profit from each unit sold, as oppsed to consoles, which are sold at breakeven or at loss to build a user base.
Wed 20/11/02 at 10:27
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Top score wrote:
> Who wants to look at a small insignificant Monitor anyway I prefer
> my
> 32 inch widescreen Sony. Then again some people have to manage with
> smaller packages.
>
> Although, you know, you can probably plug your PC into your TV?

I can do that for displaying DVD and the Windows enviroment. Good feature, err, no. A very blurry desktop image, and DVD is not much better. Plus playing a DVD from the PC to the TV doesnt "autoswitch" the Widescreen to Wide and back to normal.
Wed 20/11/02 at 10:23
Regular
What we have to ask, is why do PC's cost so much?

There's lots of component parts. Most (not all) PC manufacturers dont do much R&D, they buy the kit of the shelf. Why would a Tiny PC cost so much?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.