GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another day, another attempt to bring down the Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/03/02 at 13:57
Regular
What is it about people being really eager to rubbish the Xbox, while happily overlooking Sony and Nintendo’s mistakes? While Sony run their own game conference at which every game pod crashes and the main-screen demos are cancelled, people completely ignore this and point the finger at Microsoft for having one demo crash in one part of one game show.

And now we have another classic example. Microsoft is apparently recalling all Japanese Xbox consoles because they scratch game discs and 250,000 people have complained. In fact, only 600 people have complained, there will be no recall, and the discs are only scratched at the sides where it won’t affect the data on them anyway.

But what is even more interesting is the massive disregard for Sony’s abysmal product fault record- they had a far higher proportion of faulty launch consoles that had to be replaced, and are still have quite a few faulty consoles being returned. Yet no one speaks of this- instead they point the finger at Microsoft and shout abuse about them being unprofessional and trying to buy their way into the industry.

People criticise MS for buying smaller developers, putting millions in advertising, and buying exclusive games… which happens to be exactly what Sony did with the original Playstation!

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS haven’t had the experience of Nintendo. Well, by this reasoning, the N64 was the best console ever. As was the Virtual Boy. As was the 64 DD. Amazing how Sony can get away with only being in the industry for a short time, and Nintendo can get away with some of the biggest console disasters in history, yet people rubbish Microsoft’s console before it even gets out.

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS feels they have to put so much into advertising that it would appear that the games must not be able to sell the console themselves. Odd how the Dreamcast failed despite having some of the best games ever seen.

People can be very one sided some times.

Sonic
Sun 10/03/02 at 17:32
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Edgy wrote:
> The DD and the Virtualboy, as far as I know, weren't ever released in the UK
> anyway, so that can't really be used in an argument for UK figures.

The reason I brought the DD up was that every N64 mag was shouting about it for months and months, with new screens, info and demos.

Then, instantly, none of the mags say anything about it, bar a small column in the corner that says "DD Japan only.. mmmmm".

Any most Ninties just accepted it!

Now, as for the Xbox game pod crashes, I've heard lots about this. I, personally, think the problem is just bugs in the early software that won't be apparant in released machines.

Oh, and remember that this is nothing like as big as Sony's demo fiasco! Basically, Sony hosted their own huge game show in Japan. Almost EVERY demo pod crashed, and the mainscreen demos kept freezing and stopping. As a result the mainscreen demos were STOPPED, and the pod had hole drilled in them so that the console could be reset when they crashed. Sony even employed a load of girls in bikinis to do this for people!

And yet the Sony mags praised the game show as a great success with some brilliant games... hmmmmm.

Sonic
Sun 10/03/02 at 15:28
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
RainierWolfcastle wrote:
> Mightn't everybody's bad mouthing of the x-box have something to do with the
> possibility that Bill Gates could do the same thing to the Console industry that
> he has done to the PC operating system industry? If Microsoft keep up their
> success record with the x-box, then we'll end up with another Microsoft
> monopoly. And that isn't good news for gamers really, is it?

What you mean like Sony and the PS2?
Sun 10/03/02 at 14:45
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
but mindless criticism is not going to make any difference is it? The only people who are just going to believe every criticism levelled at the Xbox are those who already believe it is a bad machine. To make others think it's not as good as a rival console, people should actually argue their point, and constructively criticise it, not just attack it, with no evidence to back up the criticisms.

I'm not saying you should try to convert everyone away from Xbox, but if that is what these mindless criticisms are designed to do, then they are going totally the wrong way about it.
Sun 10/03/02 at 13:59
"...Unicef pennies.."
Mightn't everybody's bad mouthing of the x-box have something to do with the possibility that Bill Gates could do the same thing to the Console industry that he has done to the PC operating system industry? If Microsoft keep up their success record with the x-box, then we'll end up with another Microsoft monopoly. And that isn't good news for gamers really, is it?

Also, it's hard to not want to see the Wealthiest man in the World fall flat on his face for once!
Sun 10/03/02 at 12:26
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
hmm... I suppose one reason why Microsoft get the abuse could be that gamers now have Sony gaming machines- the 'trendy' games consoles if you will. They don't see Nintendo as a threat to them because Nintendo are just a 'kiddie' company, but Microsoft, with their extensive advertising and them trying to create a 'cool' image for Xbox may threaten Sony. And people are now cosy with their nice Sony products, and they don't want something else to come along that's 'better' (ie. 'cooler') so they won't have the best console anymore. So if they insult Xbox, they can stick with their Sony machine and it'll still be the coolest console...

It's possible...
Sat 09/03/02 at 21:30
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yea, N64 was the best console out in its time but as you say, people just didnt like it. I did, and I have had a great 4 years owning the console, I even revisited V-Rally99 today, and boy it was rocking. I may even have a go on Shadowman later, that game was scary as you like.
Sat 09/03/02 at 21:20
Regular
"¬_¬"
Compared with its competition, the N64 was really good. The only problem was that people didn't like it. Even now, I think it looks better than the PS2.
Sat 09/03/02 at 21:16
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I know, every console could be labeled as each others label. If you get what I mean, like, PS2 has loads of kiddy games, and so does X-Box etc etc
Sat 09/03/02 at 21:04
Regular
Sonic, it happens for the same reason that people slate Nintendo as being for "kiddies" despite Nintendo's cartoony games having depth and the Playstation, PC and Xbox having plenty of their own cartoony games.

Likewise with the PS2 being an awkward to use sequel churner.
The PS2 gives its fair share of original games and the Xbox and Gamecube give their fair share of Sequels, but like Nintendo is easy to label as a "kiddie" machine, the PS2 is easy to label as a sequel machine in the same way.

There is one reason why Microsoft deserve a bit more of a bashing than everyone else.

When Nintendo and Sony talk about each other, they do so with a fair amount of respect.
They tend to concentrate on what special things their machine can do rather than the faults of the opposition, and when they do criticise an opponent, they do so in a subtle, sort of "No Offence but...", way.

I'm sure you've heard Microsoft speak.
Someone posted a list of their quotes a few months back.

The quotes were generally big headed and irrespective.
I can remember some spokesman at E3 saying that "the Playstation 2 is old tat" and that "Nintendo made kiddies machines for little kiddies" and that real gamers should be buying the Xbox which has it all apparently...

Fair enough if Microsoft want to play it that way but no one is exactly going to respect them back for it...
Sat 09/03/02 at 20:53
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Some nice view on things there Sonic

I suppose its because they are an easy target, well being it their first time making a console and because its so big and the controller is dodgy. But, that scratchy disk thing, its not important but if you pay £300 for a black box and it chews up your only decent game, Halo, you would be pretty annoyed.

But, Nintendo and Sony all have loads of mistakes under their belt but hey, life goes on :o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.