GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another day, another attempt to bring down the Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/03/02 at 13:57
Regular
What is it about people being really eager to rubbish the Xbox, while happily overlooking Sony and Nintendo’s mistakes? While Sony run their own game conference at which every game pod crashes and the main-screen demos are cancelled, people completely ignore this and point the finger at Microsoft for having one demo crash in one part of one game show.

And now we have another classic example. Microsoft is apparently recalling all Japanese Xbox consoles because they scratch game discs and 250,000 people have complained. In fact, only 600 people have complained, there will be no recall, and the discs are only scratched at the sides where it won’t affect the data on them anyway.

But what is even more interesting is the massive disregard for Sony’s abysmal product fault record- they had a far higher proportion of faulty launch consoles that had to be replaced, and are still have quite a few faulty consoles being returned. Yet no one speaks of this- instead they point the finger at Microsoft and shout abuse about them being unprofessional and trying to buy their way into the industry.

People criticise MS for buying smaller developers, putting millions in advertising, and buying exclusive games… which happens to be exactly what Sony did with the original Playstation!

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS haven’t had the experience of Nintendo. Well, by this reasoning, the N64 was the best console ever. As was the Virtual Boy. As was the 64 DD. Amazing how Sony can get away with only being in the industry for a short time, and Nintendo can get away with some of the biggest console disasters in history, yet people rubbish Microsoft’s console before it even gets out.

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS feels they have to put so much into advertising that it would appear that the games must not be able to sell the console themselves. Odd how the Dreamcast failed despite having some of the best games ever seen.

People can be very one sided some times.

Sonic
Sun 10/03/02 at 20:39
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Soz- got timed out!

Sonic
Sun 10/03/02 at 19:56
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Oh, Sonic, please don't make the same reply TWICE!

;-)

joke.
Sun 10/03/02 at 19:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
How did I find out...

By the sheer fact the, during all the recall news, MS never actually issued their own statement, and no web site said that the news had come from "sources within Microsoft".

Add to that MS has come out and denied it all...

Oh, and Avatar, please don't quote the WHOLE post for a one line reply!

Sonic
Sun 10/03/02 at 19:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
How did I find out...

By the sheer fact the, during all the recall news, MS never actually issued their own statement, and no web site said that the news had come from "sources within Microsoft".

Add to that MS has come out and denied it all...

Oh, and Avatar, please don't quote the WHOLE post for a one line reply!

Sonic
Sun 10/03/02 at 18:13
Regular
"Digging!"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Avatar wrote:
> there is an offcial recall of all xboxs in japan, and no one
> said 250,000 people
> complained, just that that is how many xbox's where
> released in japan.

Did you read the topic? There is no recall! None was or
> has ever been announced- it was just made up by some people on the web!

Get
> it? NO RECALL.

and no
> one told me about this sony game show. a would
> have said something if i had
> know. and i never said the dd and virtualboy
> were success'. they were made
> before these forums started. so how was i
> going to comment? "news just in,
> somthing release 3-4 years was a
> complete muck up"

ummm... ok... I wasn't actually aiming the topic
> squarely at you! The points about the Sony fiasco, and Ninty console mess up
> were made to emphasise how people ignore the bad things about other companies
> and emphasise those about people like MS.

After all, you'd never even heard
> of the Sony mess up. Why? Because most mags never printed it, web sites ignored
> it, and everyone turned a blind eye. Proving my point I believe?

Sonic

ok, i believe you. but im still dont know how you fould out it was all made up (the xbox recall). and im sorry i went a bit mental.
Sun 10/03/02 at 18:05
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
> there is an offcial recall of all xboxs in japan, and no one said 250,000 people
> complained, just that that is how many xbox's where released in japan.

Did you read the topic? There is no recall! None was or has ever been announced- it was just made up by some people on the web!

Get it? NO RECALL.

and no
> one told me about this sony game show. a would have said something if i had
> know. and i never said the dd and virtualboy were success'. they were made
> before these forums started. so how was i going to comment? "news just in,
> somthing release 3-4 years was a complete muck up"

ummm... ok... I wasn't actually aiming the topic squarely at you! The points about the Sony fiasco, and Ninty console mess up were made to emphasise how people ignore the bad things about other companies and emphasise those about people like MS.

After all, you'd never even heard of the Sony mess up. Why? Because most mags never printed it, web sites ignored it, and everyone turned a blind eye. Proving my point I believe?

Sonic
Sun 10/03/02 at 18:03
Regular
"Digging!"
ive finished complaining now. sorry. i had a bit of a build up of steam then. sorry.
Sun 10/03/02 at 17:58
Regular
"Digging!"
Mantis wrote:
> I have seen the xbox add once on TV and I think its very good. Its strange like
> the PS2 adds with the the xbox slogan PLAYMORE appearing at the end. I would
> like to see more of them though.

i hate strange game adverts. give me the gta3 advert any day.
Sun 10/03/02 at 17:56
Regular
"Digging!"
Solskjær_24 wrote:
> I think Sony 'get away with it' because they are such a big name, in more ways
> than just gaming.
They are and always have been huge in the elctronics
> industry, especially with devices for CD's, MiniDiscs and the rest. And with
> such a reputation outside the gaming worls they have many more fans and people
> on their side than the 'games company' Nintendo, and all the 'Sonys' out there
> feel their company can do no wrong, and try to ignore previous incidents.

And
> they then jump at the chance to attack another console for it's mistakes, even
> if Sony themselves have experiecned the same mistakes!

It's all down to
> rivalry and what people believe.

yeah, and microsoft aren't a big name, of course. they dont make software at all do they? they arnt big out side the gameing industry, are they?

some people...
Sun 10/03/02 at 17:48
Regular
"Digging!"
there is an offcial recall of all xboxs in japan, and no one said 250,000 people complained, just that that is how many xbox's where released in japan.

and no one told me about this sony game show. a would have said something if i had know. and i never said the dd and virtualboy were success'. they were made before these forums started. so how was i going to comment? "news just in, somthing release 3-4 years was a complete muck up"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.