GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another day, another attempt to bring down the Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/03/02 at 13:57
Regular
What is it about people being really eager to rubbish the Xbox, while happily overlooking Sony and Nintendo’s mistakes? While Sony run their own game conference at which every game pod crashes and the main-screen demos are cancelled, people completely ignore this and point the finger at Microsoft for having one demo crash in one part of one game show.

And now we have another classic example. Microsoft is apparently recalling all Japanese Xbox consoles because they scratch game discs and 250,000 people have complained. In fact, only 600 people have complained, there will be no recall, and the discs are only scratched at the sides where it won’t affect the data on them anyway.

But what is even more interesting is the massive disregard for Sony’s abysmal product fault record- they had a far higher proportion of faulty launch consoles that had to be replaced, and are still have quite a few faulty consoles being returned. Yet no one speaks of this- instead they point the finger at Microsoft and shout abuse about them being unprofessional and trying to buy their way into the industry.

People criticise MS for buying smaller developers, putting millions in advertising, and buying exclusive games… which happens to be exactly what Sony did with the original Playstation!

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS haven’t had the experience of Nintendo. Well, by this reasoning, the N64 was the best console ever. As was the Virtual Boy. As was the 64 DD. Amazing how Sony can get away with only being in the industry for a short time, and Nintendo can get away with some of the biggest console disasters in history, yet people rubbish Microsoft’s console before it even gets out.

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS feels they have to put so much into advertising that it would appear that the games must not be able to sell the console themselves. Odd how the Dreamcast failed despite having some of the best games ever seen.

People can be very one sided some times.

Sonic
Wed 13/03/02 at 21:53
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
And the Dreamcast box had a blue swirl... Xbox has a green X...

hmmm, do you think this is slightly off the point?
Wed 13/03/02 at 09:11
no that was inside a small box.
Tue 12/03/02 at 21:37
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
GrimMetal wrote:
> Yeh funny joke it was too. ho ho ho. Just like the onw about the pc inside a big
> box.

I think you'll find that that was the dreamcast.

Sonic
Tue 12/03/02 at 08:44
Yeh funny joke it was too. ho ho ho. Just like the onw about the pc inside a big box.
Tue 12/03/02 at 00:38
Regular
"everyone says it"
In conclusion.

Microsoft are crap.
Mon 11/03/02 at 21:57
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
heh. It's good they were joking or I'd have to smash em wiv my stik!!!

I reckon MS is getting flak now because it's about to get launched. In May Ninty will get lotsa flak too, but get just as many topics defending it. Maybe if we looked in the Xbox forum there'd be loadsa topics saying how great it is...

But I'm not going in there!
;-)
Mon 11/03/02 at 21:24
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
GrimMetal wrote:
> As the person below stated, MS are a bit arrogant and disrespectful to the
> opposition. One of their cheif marketers when asked what he thought of Resident
> Evil being exclusive to gamecube replied "Having 1 mature franchise doesn't
> stop the fact that Nintendos machine is a bright purple cube". Now to me
> that is pure arrogance and also pure ignorance. Microsoft have a nice console
> and its capable of the best graphics at the moment out of the big 3. But at the
> end of the day they do not deserve success.

Lol. Actually this was a joke by MS's pr people! When asked at a conference what they thought of the GC they just said "it's stupid, looks like a toy and is small". They were only joking! Obviously the mag you read this in failed to realise that! Had you read the whole interview you'd probably get it!

Sonic
Mon 11/03/02 at 14:38
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Everybody knows the GameCube will be the best console!

Sure, it doesn't have MGS2, which IS the best game ever released! But it will have such fun games... Mario, Zelda, DK, StarFox, Metroid, Soccer Slam, Resi, Mario Sports, A Good Handful Of RPG's, and more! While the PS2 is good and there are loads of great games, it does seem to laf**k that 'magic' in quite a number of the games, and they lose their sting very quif**kly...

I won't even go on to the X-Box...

Okay I will...

It's shíte! Just a load of old DC games with upgraded graphics.... most of the games suf**k! I'd play HALO, then send that thing baf**k! It doesn't even fit in the POD! They've had to mould the plastic so it does!!!

If only the public could see how good StarFox, SSB Melee and PIKMIN were NOW, Microsoft would be f*f**kéd!

The only decent things about the X-Box are its graphical prowess and the cool 'Life Is Short - Play More' advert, where the guy plummets into the grave! The Console bites, the games suf**k (except HALO), and the thing is bigger than the factory it was produced in... I heard they were built in space!

Game
Mon 11/03/02 at 12:19
Regular
"not dead"
What you're saying isn't strictly true SONICRAV, back when the Playstation 2 was released there were dozens of topics about how many faulty ones there were, so I don't think the forum, as a whole picks only on Microsoft, all consoles seem to come under the hammer for various reasons from fans of other consoles.

I guess with launch in a few days things are going to be geared more towards Microsoft, and the Xbox, but it was the same of the PS2 when it was released.
Mon 11/03/02 at 12:10
As the person below stated, MS are a bit arrogant and disrespectful to the opposition. One of their cheif marketers when asked what he thought of Resident Evil being exclusive to gamecube replied "Having 1 mature franchise doesn't stop the fact that Nintendos machine is a bright purple cube". Now to me that is pure arrogance and also pure ignorance. Microsoft have a nice console and its capable of the best graphics at the moment out of the big 3. But at the end of the day they do not deserve success.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.