GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another day, another attempt to bring down the Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/03/02 at 13:57
Regular
What is it about people being really eager to rubbish the Xbox, while happily overlooking Sony and Nintendo’s mistakes? While Sony run their own game conference at which every game pod crashes and the main-screen demos are cancelled, people completely ignore this and point the finger at Microsoft for having one demo crash in one part of one game show.

And now we have another classic example. Microsoft is apparently recalling all Japanese Xbox consoles because they scratch game discs and 250,000 people have complained. In fact, only 600 people have complained, there will be no recall, and the discs are only scratched at the sides where it won’t affect the data on them anyway.

But what is even more interesting is the massive disregard for Sony’s abysmal product fault record- they had a far higher proportion of faulty launch consoles that had to be replaced, and are still have quite a few faulty consoles being returned. Yet no one speaks of this- instead they point the finger at Microsoft and shout abuse about them being unprofessional and trying to buy their way into the industry.

People criticise MS for buying smaller developers, putting millions in advertising, and buying exclusive games… which happens to be exactly what Sony did with the original Playstation!

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS haven’t had the experience of Nintendo. Well, by this reasoning, the N64 was the best console ever. As was the Virtual Boy. As was the 64 DD. Amazing how Sony can get away with only being in the industry for a short time, and Nintendo can get away with some of the biggest console disasters in history, yet people rubbish Microsoft’s console before it even gets out.

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS feels they have to put so much into advertising that it would appear that the games must not be able to sell the console themselves. Odd how the Dreamcast failed despite having some of the best games ever seen.

People can be very one sided some times.

Sonic
Sat 09/03/02 at 13:57
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
What is it about people being really eager to rubbish the Xbox, while happily overlooking Sony and Nintendo’s mistakes? While Sony run their own game conference at which every game pod crashes and the main-screen demos are cancelled, people completely ignore this and point the finger at Microsoft for having one demo crash in one part of one game show.

And now we have another classic example. Microsoft is apparently recalling all Japanese Xbox consoles because they scratch game discs and 250,000 people have complained. In fact, only 600 people have complained, there will be no recall, and the discs are only scratched at the sides where it won’t affect the data on them anyway.

But what is even more interesting is the massive disregard for Sony’s abysmal product fault record- they had a far higher proportion of faulty launch consoles that had to be replaced, and are still have quite a few faulty consoles being returned. Yet no one speaks of this- instead they point the finger at Microsoft and shout abuse about them being unprofessional and trying to buy their way into the industry.

People criticise MS for buying smaller developers, putting millions in advertising, and buying exclusive games… which happens to be exactly what Sony did with the original Playstation!

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS haven’t had the experience of Nintendo. Well, by this reasoning, the N64 was the best console ever. As was the Virtual Boy. As was the 64 DD. Amazing how Sony can get away with only being in the industry for a short time, and Nintendo can get away with some of the biggest console disasters in history, yet people rubbish Microsoft’s console before it even gets out.

People say that the Xbox isn’t worth buying because MS feels they have to put so much into advertising that it would appear that the games must not be able to sell the console themselves. Odd how the Dreamcast failed despite having some of the best games ever seen.

People can be very one sided some times.

Sonic
Sat 09/03/02 at 14:04
Regular
The DD and the Virtualboy, as far as I know, weren't ever released in the UK anyway, so that can't really be used in an argument for UK figures.

The reason people rubbish the X-box, is the same as why people rubbished Nintendo before Microsoft entered the scene.

They're Sony gamers who think they're cool and nothing else can compete. That's why Sony are never rubbished by the majority, but every other company are!

I'm not stereotyping though, there are some decent Sony fans, but even my brother has been turned from an unbiased gamer into a Sony-loving, Nintendo tutting, biased gamer. He's played on the Game Boy Advance once since June despite me saying he can play on it if he likes, and he wont even touch my GameCube, only to go online if I'm using the PC for something else!
Sat 09/03/02 at 14:36
Regular
"*Plonk*"
They write it off because of the cost. And the fact that Micorsoft make games like 'Train Simulator' and stuff like that. When it becomes affordable, then people will buy it, like the DC.
Sat 09/03/02 at 15:14
Regular
I doubt I will unless an X-Box exclusive title takes my fancy, or they change their controllers.
Sat 09/03/02 at 15:16
Regular
"All about the Beats"
JCSuperStar wrote:
> They write it off because of the cost. And the fact that Micorsoft make games
> like 'Train Simulator' and stuff like that. When it becomes affordable, then
> people will buy it, like the DC.

But aint consoles high in price on launch day? Plus Microsoft wouldn't release Train Simulator if they didnt think it would sell or there was a market for it.
Sat 09/03/02 at 15:17
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, they write it off because it's Microsoft. It's the company everybody loves to hate because of their previous evilness. However, there are some serious things wrong with the Xbox (like numourous reports of crashing) that no one seems to pick up on. Strange.
Sat 09/03/02 at 15:30
Regular
Have you noticed the absolute blitz of marketing Microsoft have done? I can't walk anywhere without seeing the little green X everywhere I go. Say what you want about Microsoft's ability to make consoles, but they sure know how to market one
Sat 09/03/02 at 15:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'm still waiting for teh prime time TV ads. Only when those appear will I believe Microsoft are truly comitted to advertising the Xbox. Same with Nintendo actually, but I haven't seen a single bit of advertisememt by Nintendo at all, in stores or otheriwse.
Sat 09/03/02 at 15:42
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I'm still waiting for teh prime time TV ads. Only when those appear will I
> believe Microsoft are truly comitted to advertising the Xbox. Same with Nintendo
> actually, but I haven't seen a single bit of advertisememt by Nintendo at all,
> in stores or otheriwse.

I got the ad on MP3. It's actually really good and innovative. I say that Microsoft have come up trumps on their research.
Sat 09/03/02 at 15:43
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
In comparason with the PS2 launch the xbox launches have been near faultless. The PS2 had green DVD playback, severe hardware failures and shortages and to top if off the launch games were terrible.

The xbox has had an great lauch in the US, outselling GC and in Japan they also had as good a launch that was to be expected. The launch games are the best ever for any console, ever. Also I just read at xbox365.com that DOA3 took the top spot in games sales last week in Japan, with PGR Gemma omumisha also in the top ten.

Cosmetic scratches appearing on game discs is nothing to shoot about The games still work fine. And Turbo, where are all these hardware failures you are talking about? I have heard reports of practicaly none.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.