GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Gamecube hard to program for?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/11/02 at 16:50
Regular
Oh dear Oh dear!!!!!

(Tuesday 26th November 2002  RALLY FUSION FALLS SHORT OF GAMECUBE

Activision admits the GameCube version of its arcade racer is "massively delayed" as canning rumours persist

15:26 Sources have confirmed today that the GameCube version of arcade racer Rally Fusion has been canned.)

What is it with the GC has it indeed done exactly the same mistake as last time and used a duff format.

The amount of delayed and canned games would suggest something is very wrong, could it be hard to program for, are the companies not willing to put it across 2 discs due to time and expense, no standard tooling, more printing, more materials. What ever the answers things are not looking rosey, when games do come out they are often a month or so behind the others anyway.

I think they have made a serious error of judgement and with games getting bigger and bigger this will only highlight the GC problems even further. I do actually feel a little sorry for them however you could say they had the chance to erase the mistakes of the N64 with the GC but is appears they have made them all over again.
Wed 27/11/02 at 11:33
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The way I see it if you've got a PC you can emulate anything no matter if it's GD-ROM based, Cartridge based, DVD based or whatever those ickle round discs the Gamecube use now based.

Even the special discs used in the Dreamcast were eventually cracked and people could use pirate copies within days of launch.

The developers, however, can do something about it. Codemasters have started implementing their FADE protection system whereby an illegal copy of a game can be played, but 'not for long, as you play the gameplay of a pirated copy will degrade.' TOCA Race Driver had this (bad example to quote as the gameplay seemed to degrade after time on the original too, but then that was just a sloppy game in my view).

I've never seen this first hand because I've never used a pirated copy of one of their games to test it out, so whether it works or not I can't say. So whatever the format, I suppose the developers can continue to code in safeguards.

Overall though, the pirates will continue to find ways around this.

I've read a lot about the Fairplay Campaign, their idea is sound (sell all games for £20 and you'll shift double or more units, make the same or more profit and reduce piracy) and think if everyone thought the same way it would work, but clearly the fat-cat publishers might be too afraid to implement it just in case it doesn't work and they lose their bonus. But out of all the anti-piracy ideas I think it's the best yet.
Wed 27/11/02 at 11:21
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> An issue Nintendo have magnificently sidestepped.

As with DVDs, it's only a matter of time.

> Microsoft are going to address piracy via their internet services.

What use is that if most people choose not to go online?

Honestly, your anti-Sony sentiment marks you out as just as big a fanboy as anyone else, no matter how much to try to position yourself as 'above it all'.
Wed 27/11/02 at 11:06
"Darkness, always"
Top score wrote:
> Well lets face it with most N64 games at £64.99 playstation
> originals were still a good £25 or so cheaper, then again we all
> know how much Nintendo ripped customers off perhaps you should see if
> you can get compensation then you could buy a descent console.

The difference being that no-one would have paid £65 for a PS1 game.

Because the vast majority weren't worth it.

And while there were a huge number of PS1s out there, Sony were pulling their hair out over software piracy, an issue they still haven't addressed properly. An issue Nintendo have magnificently sidestepped.

Simple fact is, the average PS2 owner has I would guess about 10 games, but according to sales figures, the average PS2 owner has only just over 5.

That's BILLIONS worth of loss because Sony didn't properly address an issue, and as such left many of their smaller 3rd party developers to burn at the hands of pirates. What a loving company.

Microsoft are going to address piracy via their internet services. What are Sony planning to do?
Wed 27/11/02 at 11:05
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Top score wrote:
> Well lets face it with most N64 games at £64.99 playstation
> originals were still a good £25 or so cheaper, then again we all
> know how much Nintendo ripped customers off perhaps you should see if
> you can get compensation then you could buy a descent console.

No, most N64 games weren't £65.
Admittedly, some were expensive (Turok was £70! and Conker was about £65), but the majority weren’t as much as that.
In the end, you pay for quality, so I much preferred paying £50 for Zelda, Mario, GoldeEye etc, rather than £30 for some sub standard games with glitchy graphics on the Psone.
The N64 was the console for gaming experts who new good games as you can see by the long list of classic games it had, the Psone was the poor persons equivalent with, apart from a few classics, mostly naff games (btw, I do have a Psone and many games, so I know the huge difference between the two).

Why don't you post all this anti-Nintendo bile in the Sony forum instead?
Wed 27/11/02 at 10:56
Regular
maddmun wrote:

>Mistakes of the N64? It wa far better than the PS1, and the only
> reason that it shifted only 14 million units compared to Sony's 72
> million, is because about 50 million of those people used pirate
> games
> because they were CHEAPER! Goldeneye, Mario 64, Conkers Bad Fur
> Day,
> Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart, Pilotwings, just a few of
> the
> excellent titles only available for Nintendo's "MISTAKE"

Well lets face it with most N64 games at £64.99 playstation originals were still a good £25 or so cheaper, then again we all know how much Nintendo ripped customers off perhaps you should see if you can get compensation then you could buy a descent console.
Tue 26/11/02 at 22:32
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I certainly agree with you there AliBoy.
Tue 26/11/02 at 22:02
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
maddmun wrote:
> AliBoy wrote:
>
> I own both a PS2 and a gamecube and for me the PS2 has the better
> games and for me thats what counts.
>
> I can understand what you mean, but people like Top Score and
> Update2.01, don't even give the other consoles a chance, which means
> that they are greatly depriving themselves.

So very true. I can happily see someones view when they have played it, given it time and then said "Nope not for me". Its when they make their view solely because they own another console or don't own one. Its just stupid.
Tue 26/11/02 at 21:45
Regular
AliBoy wrote:

> I own both a PS2 and a gamecube and for me the PS2 has the better
> games and for me thats what counts.

I can understand what you mean, but people like Top Score and Update2.01, don't even give the other consoles a chance, which means that they are greatly depriving themselves
Tue 26/11/02 at 21:28
"High polygon count"
Top Score - as one PS2 fan to another...

Give it a rest!
Tue 26/11/02 at 21:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
maddmun wrote:

> Not realy, considering that a lot of the people who have a PS2 are
> children who didn't own anything before a PSone, and decided to get a
> PS2 because of their PSone.

The majority of PS2 owners are actually adults. :-)

> Like I said, I own a PS2 AND a Gamecube, and like most who own both,
> the Gamecube IS better. Don't think I'm a fanboy whose only got one
> console and thinks it's the best, I have owned loads of consoles, and
> know exactly how to judge them, as well as the games.

I own both a PS2 and a gamecube and for me the PS2 has the better games and for me thats what counts.

Right not to anyone in particular but I can see where this one is going to go.
It is all down to personal taste, stop with all the fanboy crap that nobody really cares about, if you are happy with you have got then thats fine but stop having a go at others who like something different.
Its pointless and ruins the discussion by turning it into biased views that we have all heard many times.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.