GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Treatment of Disabled People"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/09/07 at 13:13
Regular
I recently met up with Timmargh. Went to his house, had a lovely chat, watched Red Dwarf with him and made us some coffee.

Beforehand I was worried about how I may treat or think of him differently in real life because of his disability. Online it's easy, I can throw a crip joke his way and we can both laugh about it. It's kinda faceless, easier to not feel so.. intimidated I guess, by how you should behave.

So I was nervous, thinking I wouldn't see him as 'human'. Thankfully it was fine, no problem at all. Tim was nervous too, but in the end it seemed we had nothing to worry about.

But it got me thinking a little about disability. I'm disabled too, but in a different way. I hate to say that, because well, I feel like a fraud.

My disability cannot be seen from the outside. Sometimes it can be found in my actions and behaviour. I suffer only in episodes. Actually, that's not entirely true.

Basically, I have some symptoms all the time, and other symptoms when I escalate. A lack of desire, motivation, that's pretty constant. Things like voices are very common, mild hallucinations are quite common, and things like big scary hallucinations and delusions (having twisted and weird beliefs) are less common.

I also find it very hard to concentrate. This makes studying almost impossible.

But when I compare myself to someone who is disabled, physically, in a way that does not change, I feel like.. not that I shouldn't be labelled disabled, but that I'm put in the same category as people who I honestly believe have worse disabilities than me.

It also comes down to the 'what you can see'. With a physically disabled person, you can see it straight away. You can see the wheelchair, any physical attributes, you can see someone who is physically disabled or 'Can't Really Itch Places' or CRIP for short.

With me, like I said, you can't really see it. The only outside appearance that may give it away results from my lack of motivation. Times where I don't want to change my clothes, shower, tidy things. I look a mess at times, and I imagine that's not seen as a 'disability' but more as laziness.

The basic point I'm trying to make here is, do you think you treat disabled people differently? Is there a difference in your mind between the physically disabled, and the mentally ill, which you cannot easily see on the outside?

I would like to point out here that there's a spectrum to pretty much everything. It's hardly ever, if never, black and white. People have ranges of problems and one physically disabled person may have.. I would say more problems, but I guess the term is more challenging situations. Is it right to compare the mentally ill to the physically disabled in that way? I believe it is in a way, but personally, I just think I make more fuss of it than what's really necessary and like I said, I feel like a fraud.

Would you think you would treat them as human beings, or are you prejudiced in anyway? Don't be embarrassed if you are, it's probably quite natural.
Fri 05/10/07 at 17:21
"Was the man of marz"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> I liked your alliteration, very good.

Glad I could amuse,

Plus Garin; conversations die if they don't go off topic.
Fri 05/10/07 at 03:17
Regular
Garin wrote:
Then I thought it wasnt fair to drag the thread off-topic hence I erased the offending message.

Shouldn't worry about that.. best topics go waaaaay off topic and go into big discussions about whatever
Thu 04/10/07 at 23:59
Regular
yes.i treat them as humans:)
Thu 04/10/07 at 23:40
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Marzman wrote:
> Also, what did Garin post

I just replied to what Nin posted. Then I thought it wasnt fair to drag the thread off-topic hence I erased the offending message.
Thu 04/10/07 at 21:22
Regular
Bob the chocolate moose.

Yum.
Thu 04/10/07 at 20:59
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Marzman wrote:
> Also, what did Garin post, plus is Bob the moronic
> moose serious or just intentionally antagonistic?

Serious in the most deadly of fashions.
I liked your alliteration, very good.
Thu 04/10/07 at 20:42
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Bob is Amish. :)
Thu 04/10/07 at 20:12
"Was the man of marz"
Nin wrote:
> Did Darwin dispel creationism? I thought he was a christian and
> his view was evolution was a design of god.
> I've just done a bit of reading and he was a christian until the
> death of his daughter. Nonetheless i dont think evolutionary
> theory and a religious standpoint are mutually exclusive.

Darwin came to realise why his daughter had downs syndrome, how having married his cousin was a factor, and used this to develop his theory (as far as I can remember). I don’t see how him being a Christian has anything to do with it, as my point stated that he changed the majority views, which at the time where religious. Also, what did Garin post, plus is Bob the moronic moose serious or just intentionally antagonistic?
Thu 04/10/07 at 10:26
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Marzman wrote:
> Nin wrote:
> I've had a theory for ages that it's an inbuilt inhibitor in
> the
> genes for when the human race has become too diverse or
> widespread and there is a risk of a social split.
>
> That’s a brilliant theory that I would listen to, unlike Darwin
> who actually made me loose a little faith in science, due to the
> way you and others talk of his theories as if they are fact.

Yep, science is all wrong.
Thu 04/10/07 at 04:18
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
EDIT: meh, not important. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.