GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Prize awards are not easy to win!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/09/12 at 17:34
Regular
"get off MOF !!"
It's not fair to give the prizes only to the posts made by long time members.

It would be inspiring and satisfying if you guys gave prizes to new members who give more posts a week!

This is my opinion... if this is wrong, please ignore me!

Thanks
Thu 20/09/12 at 15:29
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
As a previous prize awarder, I can hereby confirm that prizes are by no means determined by anything other than enjoyment/usefulness of the submitted cheats/tips/reviews/guides.

I know I'm simply reiterating points already made, but I just wanted to put it (even further) beyond any doubt.

I sincerely hope that OP does keep trying though.
Thu 20/09/12 at 11:00
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
A prize is a nice surprise, but you can tell from the regulars that prizes are not the only reason we visit.

In similar vain to when I asked for votes on my student of the year nomination. I didn't do all the things in the interview to win a small trophy or attend a gala meal (although if I win I will be ecstatic) I work hard be ause I enjoy my subject, enjoy helping and like to get involved and help people! The fact a prize may be awarded just adds to the experience.
Thu 20/09/12 at 10:41
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
One of my pet peevs...

I spent the entirety of my retail career making shop after shop a success without any reward. I did it to prove something to myself, to prove something to others, but mostly because i enjoyed it.

That's life. You do things because you WANT to, or because you have to, NOT just for rewards.

I mean, seriously, why post on a forum if you don't enjoy it anyway?

...For a prize that you might never win?
Thu 20/09/12 at 09:49
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Thanks Chas. and for the record...I won on my first review post (Splinter Cell Chaos Theory). I had that as my only post and then migrated to the forums.

The more you contribute, the more likely you are to win. Just contribute quality!
Thu 20/09/12 at 09:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
For the umpteenth time ... that's just what was required chas :¬)

A very well-writtten and informative guide to review writing.
Thu 20/09/12 at 09:07
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
It's probably appropriate to set out some guidelines here (for about the millionth time!), as perhaps this will help some of the newer forum members.

1) Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!! does not!!??? make for good!!!" reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The English language is quite well defined after being around for a few hundred years, and the correct use of punctuation will work wonders for your written pieces, be they posts in the forum or entries in the game reviews.

2) "Text speak", which seems awfully popular amongst the younger set these days, really doesn't cut it. Full words, correctly written and used in context, will aid all us older ones, as we won't have to spend ten minutes deciphering your post.

3) A game review does NOT consist of six lines of badly formatted text about how "grate this game is, trust me u r gonna luv it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

A game review should be a considered and thoughtful appraisal that includes at least some (if not all) of the following elements;

a) an introduction
b) a brief outline to the plot (preferably without spoilers)
c) an appraisal of the gameplay
d) a word or two on graphics, sound and presentation
e) a score or rating (out of ten, out of a hundred, doesn't really matter as long as it indicates to the reader how enjoyable your gaming experience was)
f) a closing statement

You could also include some history, such as preceding games in the series, other games from the developers etc. as well as anything else that you feel is relevant. Draw comparisons, propose alternatives and add as much detail as you feel is necessary to make your review worth reading.

Reviews should be entertaining to read as well as informative.

4) The prizes are given ALWAYS to the review/ cheats/ forum thread that, in that week, has made the most impact on the forum, as decided by Freeola staff. Time spent on the forum is NEVER a consideration, quality of entries is ALWAYS a consideration.

5) Copying a review from another site is NEVER going to win you a prize.

6) The forum does not exist entirely to give away prizes. Many of our regular forumites have made thousands of posts, entirely for the pleasure of sharing ideas, information or experiences. If a prize comes along once in a while, then great. If not, well...

Better luck next time.

I hope this will help.
Wed 19/09/12 at 21:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
From now on anyone who starts poorly written threads about failing to win gaming prizes shall be said to have 'the midkas touch'.

Now there's a good idea ... a possible GAD winner ;¬)
Wed 19/09/12 at 21:05
Regular
"I like turtles"
From now on anyone who starts poorly written threads about failing to win gaming prizes shall be said to have 'the midkas touch'.
Wed 19/09/12 at 19:41
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
*EDIT* Methinks this will deleted under 'spam' anyway. Creating multiple threads on one issue isn't helpful for the forum...

It probably will be SC ... but for once and for all it has to be spelled out! New or old posters have an equal chance of a GAD win. In this case the message doesn't seem to have 'reached base' ;¬)

EDIT: You'll be on 4000 when you reply, not 6! I've never known this user to reply.
Wed 19/09/12 at 18:23
Regular
"How Ironic"
I won with my first review on here, posted on the very first day I was here. The length of time you've been here is not a factor in GAD selection.

*EDIT* Methinks this will deleted under 'spam' anyway. Creating multiple threads on one issue isn't helpful for the forum...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.