GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 19:09
Regular
You've heard it from several people (even ssxpro) that the Xbox may be worth a look in, so please put down those double barrel shotguns you have aimed at my head and hear what i have to say :-)

Microsoft have a huge budget backing up the Xbox yet will most likely charge high prices but even so the Xbox is a beast in terms of power, I was chatting to this guy I work with and he went through just how powerfull it is and "aye carumba" But we all know Power is nothing without games and I believe the Xbox may be the next playstation, not because it's the new kid on the block but because it appeals to adult gamers and the majority of Adult gamers are PC'ers and many of them are interested in the Xbox. Silent Hill 2 is heading it's way with enhanced graphics and new Maria Scenario, A non Jaggy version of Shadow of Memories has recently been announed, SSX:Tricky,GTA3 and many more top quality titles.

But what about microsoft??

I don't care for microsoft but then again how many PS2 owners care for Sony? They just provide the console and let the third pary developers do their work and these developers aren't limited like they are with the PS2, The xbox is a developer friendly system and offers more depth for the games. Another thing that caught my attention was the built in HDD+Modem, better yet because it's standard in every console more games will use it, What's the point of waiting for Sony to kick in their online plans into gear with the add-ons, which personally I believe is a little late.

conclusion??

The PS2 is now a surperb console and an essential buy to all gamers but with the xbox's release just around the corner, like march 8th or something you have to admit if it collects alot of the PS type games and developers it's going to be fantastic. I can't see much on the gamecube side that interests me (besides resevil) but if the Xbox is going to offer what the PS had only in this generation and with better graphics,sound and games then so be it.

*closes eyes and waits for execution on PS2 soil*
Wed 20/02/02 at 13:18
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Oh, and if you actually read the post properly, you would realise i was listing some original games, not just good games.
Wed 20/02/02 at 13:17
Regular
Sometimes they help put a point across, its not a big problem is it.

If you dont like them, dont read them. Simple.
Wed 20/02/02 at 13:13
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
I think these forums should have a new rule that stops people postign lists of games!!! Why is it that every time someone posts one of these topics about different consoles people feel they have to list all there favourite games and games they are looking forward too. If your interested in the console you know what games u like and want, we dont need annoying lists!!!
Wed 20/02/02 at 11:51
Regular
"  "
Pro Evo wrote:
> nh wrote:

If the X Box is going to sell then it needs the originality that we
> are waiting for - this being the biggest problem with the PS2 at the
> moment.

Devil May Cry
Rez
Herdy Gerdy
State Of Emergency
Legends of
> Wrestling
GTA 3 (while a sequel its a totally new game)
BurnOut

and the
> list goes on.

While there are alot of sequels of old games on PS2, its not
> without its new games that are out and coming out. Ok, too many sequels will
> eventually lead to lots of boring games so many new ideas need to come out soon,
> but when the sequels at the moment are good with many new ideas i dont see
> nothing wrong with that.

On the point of sequals the top 5 games i'm looking forward to are all sequals + SOE.

1)Metal gear solid 2
2)Final Fantasy 10
3)LMA 2002
4)TOCA Race Driver
5)GTA: Miami
Wed 20/02/02 at 11:48
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Yes ok on that point but look at SR's top 20 and 15 of them are sequels (Even the great Pro Evolution is ISS 5 !) - but that isn't the point of this discussion, this topic was about the prospects for X Box and I was just trying to get some points over as to what needs to happen for it to be a success. My point there is that if in 6 months time the x box top 20 consists of 18 games that are sequels etc then why would any satisfied PS2 owner want to buy one.

The fact that Tony Hawk 4 would look a little better on X box than it does on PS2 but plays the same would not entice me to go out and purchase one.
Wed 20/02/02 at 11:25
Regular
nh wrote:

If the X Box is going to sell then it needs the originality that we are waiting for - this being the biggest problem with the PS2 at the moment.

Devil May Cry
Rez
Herdy Gerdy
State Of Emergency
Legends of Wrestling
GTA 3 (while a sequel its a totally new game)
BurnOut

and the list goes on.

While there are alot of sequels of old games on PS2, its not without its new games that are out and coming out. Ok, too many sequels will eventually lead to lots of boring games so many new ideas need to come out soon, but when the sequels at the moment are good with many new ideas i dont see nothing wrong with that.
Wed 20/02/02 at 10:29
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I suppose it will all come down to the games in the end - PC games and console games are generally different and therefore appeal to different groups of people. Console games are naturaly more Arcade oriented - Beat em ups, Driving games, Sports games and Pc games are generally more geared to the strategy and FPS types - this is only a broad outline.

The poplarity of the X box will therefore be alot dependent on the road that developers follow with their games - being a Microsoft product and with Microsoft developing will they produce X box versions of things like Flight Sim, Train Sim, Links and will third part developers concentrate on producing things like Quake 4,5 and 6 etc, If so then the majority of people that play these games would probably stick to their PC's. If however they concentrate on producing good quality games with depth and replayability then they could make it happen.

What we dont want though is Dead or Alive 8,GTA7, Fifa 2019 Vauxhall Conference edition and Tomb Raider the kindergarten chronicles. If the X Box is going to sell then it needs the originality that we are waiting for - this being the biggest problem with the PS2 at the moment - look at the list of top games and how many of them are original new ideas and not sequels / prequels. Even Jak and Daxter is the true sequel to the Crash range.

As far as online games go they have to get away from the current thinking that it's ok to release patch after patch etc to get things working properly - console gamers dont and wont want that sort of faffing around - If it is seen that that is how things are going then again people will stick to their PC's. The whole beauty of a console is that you slap in the disc and go.
Wed 20/02/02 at 10:01
Regular
As a PS2 owner, I care for Sony. I wouldn`t want them to get into any trouble financially. Things like TVs, Hi-Fi`s etc... are all fine products from Sony, not just consoles, so I`d like them to stick around.
Wed 20/02/02 at 08:58
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Better start knocking walls down mate for that extra room.
;-)

I'll be
> putting my X-box on the shelf where my PS2 is now. Then I'll move the PS2 down
> a shelf. Hoping to get a new PC sometime and of course get broadband.
>

Looks like 2002 is gonna be a busy year for my room. ;-)

Same here :) Got me GameCube/PS2/Dreamcast all set-up, getting broadband installed the week after next and currently waiting for my US XBox to show :)

This year rules...
Wed 20/02/02 at 00:56
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Better start knocking walls down mate for that extra room.
;-)

I'll be putting my X-box on the shelf where my PS2 is now. Then I'll move the PS2 down a shelf. Hoping to get a new PC sometime and of course get broadband.

Looks like 2002 is gonna be a busy year for my room. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.