GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 19:09
Regular
You've heard it from several people (even ssxpro) that the Xbox may be worth a look in, so please put down those double barrel shotguns you have aimed at my head and hear what i have to say :-)

Microsoft have a huge budget backing up the Xbox yet will most likely charge high prices but even so the Xbox is a beast in terms of power, I was chatting to this guy I work with and he went through just how powerfull it is and "aye carumba" But we all know Power is nothing without games and I believe the Xbox may be the next playstation, not because it's the new kid on the block but because it appeals to adult gamers and the majority of Adult gamers are PC'ers and many of them are interested in the Xbox. Silent Hill 2 is heading it's way with enhanced graphics and new Maria Scenario, A non Jaggy version of Shadow of Memories has recently been announed, SSX:Tricky,GTA3 and many more top quality titles.

But what about microsoft??

I don't care for microsoft but then again how many PS2 owners care for Sony? They just provide the console and let the third pary developers do their work and these developers aren't limited like they are with the PS2, The xbox is a developer friendly system and offers more depth for the games. Another thing that caught my attention was the built in HDD+Modem, better yet because it's standard in every console more games will use it, What's the point of waiting for Sony to kick in their online plans into gear with the add-ons, which personally I believe is a little late.

conclusion??

The PS2 is now a surperb console and an essential buy to all gamers but with the xbox's release just around the corner, like march 8th or something you have to admit if it collects alot of the PS type games and developers it's going to be fantastic. I can't see much on the gamecube side that interests me (besides resevil) but if the Xbox is going to offer what the PS had only in this generation and with better graphics,sound and games then so be it.

*closes eyes and waits for execution on PS2 soil*
Sat 23/02/02 at 18:53
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
adrian wrote:
Nope not 1.5 million at launch. Its 1.5 million in the first 3
> months, so only a portion of this will be available for day one. As if all were
> available it could turn into a Sony affair, where no X-Boxes are available for
> months after the release.

Sorry, I didnt mean launch day - even so its still better than Sony's hilarious antics.....
Fri 22/02/02 at 19:32
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Belldandy wrote:
Another 1.5 million consoles released in Europe at
> launch,

Nope not 1.5 million at launch. Its 1.5 million in the first 3 months, so only a portion of this will be available for day one. As if all were available it could turn into a Sony affair, where no X-Boxes are available for months after the release.
Thu 21/02/02 at 15:11
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
nh wrote:
The best news for us PS2 owners would be the games
> that will be multi format - Everyone is going on about Halo at the moment but
> thats just one game, will it be converted to PS in the future ?

Don't hold your breath, theres kind of no hard drive for the game to use, yet. Even if you do get the hard drive thats going to be £150 by itself - half the price of the Xbox. I doubt that the PS2 could actually handle Halo anyway, it certainly outshines every PS2 FPS going, plus you wouldn't get 5.1 sound, and it'd be an old game by the time it was converted anyway !

>Whatever
> agreements are in place at the moment will surely be dependent on the success of
> the console sales. However good a game like Halo is if Microsoft do not have
> enough X box sales then not enough copies of the game would be sold and a
> conversion to PS could possibly happen.

1.5 million users in the US alone and rising daily. Another 1.5 million consoles released in Europe at launch, 2 million (I think) for the Japanese launch, more ofr the wider asia launch. Thats a pretty big sales base. Even so, Microsoft are pouring bucketloads of money into development teams, like Sony did for the PSONE, to guarantee exclusivity for games in the console market. Sure Halo, and Buffy - plus a few others - are getting PC launches of some form but are going to require high specced PCs anyway. Other multi format games like THPS 3 and Dark Summit are shared across platforms but all the console manufacturers keep certain titles to their own format, as in you won't be seeing DOA3, and probably 4, on the PS2. Similarily the next RE game is going to be Gamecube only - probably not a great loss baring in mind the "superb" conversion of Code Veronica.......

2 previously PS2 exclusive titles are being released on Xbox in improved forms - Genma Onimusha and Silent Hill 2. Onimusha features new costumes, bad guys and a tweaked difficulty level meaning you wont finish the game in about 5 hours flat - I'm looking forward ot this as I didnt buy it on the PS2 due to the easiness of it. Silent Hill 2 features improved graphics and a whole new sb game featuring Maria - apparently this alone takes 6 hours to finsh perfectly.
Thu 21/02/02 at 11:00
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I'll be waiting to see what happens with the games and the prices of the console - whatever I happens I wont be spending three hundred notes for a console by itself - the X box would have to be down to at least what the GC is now before I would consider buying it.

The best news for us PS2 owners would be the games that will be multi format - Everyone is going on about Halo at the moment but thats just one game, will it be converted to PS in the future ?

Whatever agreements are in place at the moment will surely be dependent on the success of the console sales. However good a game like Halo is if Microsoft do not have enough X box sales then not enough copies of the game would be sold and a conversion to PS could possibly happen.
Thu 21/02/02 at 10:37
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Hmm, i have been waying up the pros and cons of both GC and X-box, and myself, if i get the cash will be getting a GC as a second console, but not for some time, around Christmas maybe.

But for now, my PS2 is more than i need.
Wed 20/02/02 at 22:32
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I have played on the X-Box today. All I can say is I cant wait, only 3 weeks until I actually own one.

People who say that Project Gotham isnt graphically better than GT3 must need there eyes testing. In every way it is graphically better. The scenary is better looking with no sign of pop up. Of course I was in the shop with a crappy screen e.t.c. so will give my full verdict once I can compare the 2 games running one after the other.

Also the pad is actually quite comfy. I have medium size hands and didnt find the controller a problem. All the buttons were in easy reach. The first thing that you will notice as soon as you first hold the controller is the actual size. For the first time it is big, it feels big. But after only a few mintues it becomes like the PS2 pad, you forget your holding it.

Anyway on March 14th I can tell you whether its any good compared to the PS2 graphically.
Wed 20/02/02 at 17:13
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Nothing like keeping your options open..
Wed 20/02/02 at 17:08
Regular
"Back For Good"
Strafex wrote:
Bah! And you told me that you were going to become a
> Ninty! :-D

I change my mind regulary, I think in the end I'll be a sonyphileyetxboxerwithabitofgamecubeontheside Zealot :-)
Wed 20/02/02 at 16:57
Regular
Res€vilfan wrote:
I can't see much on the gamecube side that interests me (besides resevil)

Bah! And you told me that you were going to become a Ninty! :-D

Anyway, seeing as you're getting a Gamecube anyway, try renting or borrowing the likes of Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion. I'm sure you'll love them.

And Eternal Darkness will be right up your street...
Wed 20/02/02 at 16:02
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Thank you - respect at last !!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.