GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/02/02 at 19:09
Regular
You've heard it from several people (even ssxpro) that the Xbox may be worth a look in, so please put down those double barrel shotguns you have aimed at my head and hear what i have to say :-)

Microsoft have a huge budget backing up the Xbox yet will most likely charge high prices but even so the Xbox is a beast in terms of power, I was chatting to this guy I work with and he went through just how powerfull it is and "aye carumba" But we all know Power is nothing without games and I believe the Xbox may be the next playstation, not because it's the new kid on the block but because it appeals to adult gamers and the majority of Adult gamers are PC'ers and many of them are interested in the Xbox. Silent Hill 2 is heading it's way with enhanced graphics and new Maria Scenario, A non Jaggy version of Shadow of Memories has recently been announed, SSX:Tricky,GTA3 and many more top quality titles.

But what about microsoft??

I don't care for microsoft but then again how many PS2 owners care for Sony? They just provide the console and let the third pary developers do their work and these developers aren't limited like they are with the PS2, The xbox is a developer friendly system and offers more depth for the games. Another thing that caught my attention was the built in HDD+Modem, better yet because it's standard in every console more games will use it, What's the point of waiting for Sony to kick in their online plans into gear with the add-ons, which personally I believe is a little late.

conclusion??

The PS2 is now a surperb console and an essential buy to all gamers but with the xbox's release just around the corner, like march 8th or something you have to admit if it collects alot of the PS type games and developers it's going to be fantastic. I can't see much on the gamecube side that interests me (besides resevil) but if the Xbox is going to offer what the PS had only in this generation and with better graphics,sound and games then so be it.

*closes eyes and waits for execution on PS2 soil*
Tue 19/02/02 at 19:09
Regular
"Back For Good"
You've heard it from several people (even ssxpro) that the Xbox may be worth a look in, so please put down those double barrel shotguns you have aimed at my head and hear what i have to say :-)

Microsoft have a huge budget backing up the Xbox yet will most likely charge high prices but even so the Xbox is a beast in terms of power, I was chatting to this guy I work with and he went through just how powerfull it is and "aye carumba" But we all know Power is nothing without games and I believe the Xbox may be the next playstation, not because it's the new kid on the block but because it appeals to adult gamers and the majority of Adult gamers are PC'ers and many of them are interested in the Xbox. Silent Hill 2 is heading it's way with enhanced graphics and new Maria Scenario, A non Jaggy version of Shadow of Memories has recently been announed, SSX:Tricky,GTA3 and many more top quality titles.

But what about microsoft??

I don't care for microsoft but then again how many PS2 owners care for Sony? They just provide the console and let the third pary developers do their work and these developers aren't limited like they are with the PS2, The xbox is a developer friendly system and offers more depth for the games. Another thing that caught my attention was the built in HDD+Modem, better yet because it's standard in every console more games will use it, What's the point of waiting for Sony to kick in their online plans into gear with the add-ons, which personally I believe is a little late.

conclusion??

The PS2 is now a surperb console and an essential buy to all gamers but with the xbox's release just around the corner, like march 8th or something you have to admit if it collects alot of the PS type games and developers it's going to be fantastic. I can't see much on the gamecube side that interests me (besides resevil) but if the Xbox is going to offer what the PS had only in this generation and with better graphics,sound and games then so be it.

*closes eyes and waits for execution on PS2 soil*
Tue 19/02/02 at 22:14
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
The X-Box is good. I have mine on pre-order and will have it in 22 and a bit days :). The X-Box doesnt actually contain a modem. Its an ethernet adaptor so anyone who doesnt have broadband internet cant use it, which means I cant use it as the area I live in isnt a broadband enabled area. The other thing is that you may even need to buy a broadband adaptor to fit into the ethernet port on the back to actually get online. And the online games arent available yet, with the online feature being added to games in America over the summer period. We may be lucky and get them late 2002 or maybe late summer.
Tue 19/02/02 at 22:20
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I agree that the X-Box may be a very worthy contender to Sony. As you said Adrian it has an inbuilt ethernet thing and that is already an advantage over the PS2. But thefact of a matter is whether or not online gaming is going to take off. People may be put off by the cost, viruses and the like. Final Fantasy 11 is one of the first titles to be fully compatible online and we will see whether it will do well.

X-Box doesnt appeal to me as much as the Gamecube does but I still think its a great console.
Tue 19/02/02 at 22:30
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I think X-Box online will be good as there are no extra costs involved. Just get broadband which most internet users would want, £25 a month for 512KB connection and unlimited calls is a bargin. Then if MS offer an subscription of maybe £5 for online gaming then alot of people would pay that. They can have fast internet for there PC, easy online gaming for the X-box. The X-box has got alot of internet games in the works an MS are strongly saying to developers to use the communicater device.

Overall I think the X-Box will be a better platform for online gaming due to there already being a harddrive and an ethernet adaptor built in. Of course people with 56k modems cant use it, but online gaming at that speed isnt that good anyway. The UK should have alot of the major places with broadband by the time the X-Box is online. So alot of people will be able to use it.
Tue 19/02/02 at 22:35
Regular
"You Bum!!"
But then some people will pay £25 for the X-Box connection and £25 for the PC connection. It does mount up ya know....
Tue 19/02/02 at 22:54
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Triple_H wrote:
> But then some people will pay £25 for the X-Box connection and £25
> for the PC connection. It does mount up ya know....

It would use the same line so for the PC its £25, but the X-Box could connect to this. And then to actually use the service it may cost £5 or £10 maybe more. If MS charge too much then only the rich people will get it.

Also the X-Box is massive. I saw a pic on the net where it has all 3 next-gen consoles, a DC, PS1 and N64. The X-box makes all of these consoles look small.
Tue 19/02/02 at 22:58
Regular
"You Bum!!"
It does kinda make "throwing a joypad at your mate after you lose a bout of FIFA" dangerous doesnt it? I mean it could kill ya.....
Tue 19/02/02 at 23:03
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Triple_H wrote:
> It does kinda make "throwing a joypad at your mate after you lose a bout of
> FIFA" dangerous doesnt it? I mean it could kill ya.....

The joypads dont look too big, maybe abit bigger than a DC pad. The X-Box is tall, long and wide. The GC is tall, long, but very thin. I think alot of people will have to find a big place to put there X-Box. I normally put a new console under my 28" tv. At the moment I have my PS2 under there and I fit the controllers either side of the PS2. The cabinet its in under the TV can only just about fit my PS2 and the controllers to the side of it. But when my X-Box arrives I wont have my X-Box under the TV as it wont fit. Where I want to put it, where my DC is at the moment, it still might not fit. Alot of people have said you need an extra room to put it in, I think they could be right :)
Wed 20/02/02 at 00:56
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Better start knocking walls down mate for that extra room.
;-)

I'll be putting my X-box on the shelf where my PS2 is now. Then I'll move the PS2 down a shelf. Hoping to get a new PC sometime and of course get broadband.

Looks like 2002 is gonna be a busy year for my room. ;-)
Wed 20/02/02 at 08:58
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Better start knocking walls down mate for that extra room.
;-)

I'll be
> putting my X-box on the shelf where my PS2 is now. Then I'll move the PS2 down
> a shelf. Hoping to get a new PC sometime and of course get broadband.
>

Looks like 2002 is gonna be a busy year for my room. ;-)

Same here :) Got me GameCube/PS2/Dreamcast all set-up, getting broadband installed the week after next and currently waiting for my US XBox to show :)

This year rules...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.