GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fewer prizes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/12 at 15:10
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Unfortunately, with the reduction in the levels of contributions, there are less "worthy" entries each week for us to consider for prizes. Therefore we are reducing the number of prizes to just one per week instead of two. This will take effect soon, once the changes to the Win Free Games pages are completed.

We will try to encourage our moderators to create some more GAD Challenges.

The number of visitors to the Freeola interactive sites in the past month was 129,000. That's pretty good really, but it is 40% down on the same period in 2008.

Of course if the level of worthy contributions were to increase, we might be forced to reconsider, so we will keep it under review.
Thu 07/06/12 at 19:41
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I'll support pete in all that he says, including a '3 page trawl' to get to the Forum Section (always been a problem). Newcomers regularly post in the wrong section - maybe their fault or maybe the sites layout? I think I could go on and on and on, but it's all been mentioned before ... this site is popular but it doesn't reflect it. This site is Freeola's 'face' and as such it doesn't ... it needs a make over to compliment the excellent work 'behind' the scenes.

You owe it to yourselves Freeola :¬)

EDIT: It also takes an age for posts to appear in the general listings! (That's 4 minutes)
Thu 07/06/12 at 19:25
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nin wrote:
Fix site structure so we're easily found

Absolutely, new members would require a cyber sat-nav to find their way into this place at the moment.

It's a bit of a shame really as there are some pretty good threads on this place from time to time. I have stopped posting in quite a few other forums due to them basically being full of tools. The remaining members on here are good guys we just need to get some new ones (or perhaps entice some older members to pop back on here a bit more regularly than they currently do).

Also Freeola must have more customers than my family, DL & Hmmm!, perhaps something could be done to entice some of those on here?

As I mentioned earlier perhaps it's time to look at awarding prizes for things other than mainly reviews & cheats? Hmmm's recent win for basically just being his awesomely helpful self was a great example of what I think this site really needs, would really like to see more things like that.

Right, I'm going to shut up now.....
Thu 07/06/12 at 18:40
Regular
DL wrote:
Machie wrote:
[i]pb had the right idea.

When?[/i]

When he wanted to expand the review forum to include smart phone apps and games.

@pb, 49 threads in 6 months isn't too bad. Unfortunately 20 of those got no replies. You guys have to try harder.

Nin is right and this is something we've been saying for years. Maybe things were better in 2008 because nothing has changed since then. The website still looks the same. The only difference in the forum is we're missing about 20 people.
Thu 07/06/12 at 18:29
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Fix site structure so we're easily found

Fix forum structure so not everything goes in the WLT

Give it time

Right now, aside from having to go through numerous pages to get here, once you actually find the chat pages they're static. No-one creates general random threads in General Chat because it can all go in the WLT, no-one creates music threads because there's no music section etc.
You know where I'm heading with this. If you're not happy with how things are, go back to an earlier time when you were.
Thu 07/06/12 at 18:09
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
Machie wrote:
[i]pb had the right idea.

When?[/i]

I always have the right idea, just never at the right time or in the right place...
Thu 07/06/12 at 18:08
"possibly impossible"
I'm not surprised about the prizes to be honest. It's a shame, but even one a week is pretty good.

Also not surprised about the drop in numbers. Freeola needs to move with the times and keep their Twitter and Facebook up to date, plus (as I repeat ad-infinitum) find something to draw people together, a common theme, a home page with news on something g (gaming? Tech?) even if it's one of us that update it, just things to keep people coming back.

The Games forum has picked up in recent months and I think all us gamers have tried to keep that section updated (even if Machie insists on going off on a tangent!).
Thu 07/06/12 at 17:58
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Machie wrote:
pb had the right idea.

When?
Thu 07/06/12 at 17:56
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Plus ... it seems that only Hmmm, pete and me are actual Freeola Service users and thus monthly donors to the fund ... not that it's a problem, as Freeola are brilliant, but nevertheless...
Thu 07/06/12 at 17:40
Regular
"I like turtles"
So GAW it is from now on then...

Machie is right, it is the same handful of people who seem to keep this place going. Some new regulars would definitely not go amiss as would some new topics that got more than a couple of responses from the same handful of members.

The 50% reduction of prizes isn't really that much of an issue to me TBH as I rarely submit anything that would be considered under the present rules anyway.

I would personally like to see more random chat posts rewarded (perhaps occasionally to contributors instead of thread starters?) and maybe even the UK only rule flexed every now and then for likes of a couple of members who have left our shores but do still contribute to this site on a regular basis. I'm sure it must be possible to email an Amazon code or something if they won?

A few daft things like the Freeola quiz or my Random Facts game were fun for a short period of time, perhaps a few more things like those might work?

The other thing rarely mentioned on here are the services Freeola provide (which are by and large very good), perhaps there could be something introduced to the forum to somehow tie in with those?

Anyway, those are my ideas straight off the top of my head, not given any of them any great amount of thought so there probably all useless. Anyone else got any better ones?
Thu 07/06/12 at 17:10
Regular
That's it! They already own the pipeline so it would be no trouble at all. Nice one Garin.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.