GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fewer prizes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/12 at 15:10
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Unfortunately, with the reduction in the levels of contributions, there are less "worthy" entries each week for us to consider for prizes. Therefore we are reducing the number of prizes to just one per week instead of two. This will take effect soon, once the changes to the Win Free Games pages are completed.

We will try to encourage our moderators to create some more GAD Challenges.

The number of visitors to the Freeola interactive sites in the past month was 129,000. That's pretty good really, but it is 40% down on the same period in 2008.

Of course if the level of worthy contributions were to increase, we might be forced to reconsider, so we will keep it under review.
Mon 11/06/12 at 18:37
"possibly impossible"
Tony wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]I'm not surprised about the prizes to be honest. It's a shame, but even one a week is pretty good.

Also not surprised about the drop in numbers. Freeola needs to move with the times and keep their Twitter and Facebook up to date, plus (as I repeat ad-infinitum) find something to draw people together, a common theme, a home page with news on something g (gaming? Tech?) even if it's one of us that update it, just things to keep people coming back.

The Games forum has picked up in recent months and I think all us gamers have tried to keep that section updated (even if Machie insists on going off on a tangent!).

Well I would completely agree if we sold games, or if it saved us tax, or any other commercial reason. Freeola services are a little on the boring side to make much impact on Facebook. "Hey, did you know we are installing some new servers next month, and oh, the world is running out of IPv4 addresses."[/i]

Tesco are primarily a supermarket but sell games, towels and whatever to encourage people in to their store, often ending with them picking up groceries at the same time.

Incentives, even with a tenuous connection, help highlight your main focus by encouraging people to a site. This can be goods or information. All you need is for some space on a main Page to highlight a few reviews we've written, maybe encourage more tech reviews which would suit the business better? Link these to the original review or forum and a 'you can win Prizes by submitting your own articles' link.

It's only a slightly less subtle way of doing what you're already doing on the forum homepage, but just on a page visitors will actually notice.
Mon 11/06/12 at 17:10
Regular
"I like turtles"
Tony wrote:
Nothing could be further from the truth. There never has been any lack of visitors.

So apparently we have lots of lurkers then but very few of them seem to want to become members?

@Hmmm, just giving my honest opinion :)
Mon 11/06/12 at 16:18
"Are you sure?"
Tony wrote:
... Freeola services are a little on the boring side to make much impact on Facebook. "Hey, did you know we are installing some new servers next month, and oh, the world is running out of IPv4 addresses."

That's just the stuff I LIKE to read! :¬P
#Geek [s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 11/06/12 at 16:03
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
pete_21 wrote:
Nin wrote:
[i]Fix site structure so we're easily found

Absolutely, new members would require a cyber sat-nav to find their way into this place at the moment.

Nothing could be further from the truth. There never has been any lack of visitors.
Mon 11/06/12 at 16:01
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
pb wrote:
I'm not surprised about the prizes to be honest. It's a shame, but even one a week is pretty good.

Also not surprised about the drop in numbers. Freeola needs to move with the times and keep their Twitter and Facebook up to date, plus (as I repeat ad-infinitum) find something to draw people together, a common theme, a home page with news on something g (gaming? Tech?) even if it's one of us that update it, just things to keep people coming back.

The Games forum has picked up in recent months and I think all us gamers have tried to keep that section updated (even if Machie insists on going off on a tangent!).

Well I would completely agree if we sold games, or if it saved us tax, or any other commercial reason. Freeola services are a little on the boring side to make much impact on Facebook. "Hey, did you know we are installing some new servers next month, and oh, the world is running out of IPv4 addresses."
Mon 11/06/12 at 15:49
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
DL wrote:
Meant to mention this earlier ....

"The number of visitors to the Freeola interactive sites in the past month was 129,000. That's pretty good really, but it is 40% down on the same period in 2008."

Just what is the relevance of 2008? I know statistics are easily twisted, but surely 2011 would be better.

At a guess, that's about the time we set the current prize format, but also it was a statistic which easily came to hand.
Sat 09/06/12 at 21:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Welcome back Hmmm ... thought you must have been 'sunning it' :¬)
Sat 09/06/12 at 18:35
"Are you sure?"
I've been away this week and only just got back...

Thanks @pete_21 :¬D Much appreciated

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 08/06/12 at 10:26
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
I remember when they gave away 21 prizes every week. Was it a GAD and 2 DVD wins a day or something like that?

One time I counted 14 new reviews posted in the last 24 hours (which was lower than usual because it was a sunday). I had a look at them and felt I still had a chance to win. So just before midnight I submitted a review of something and I ended up winning. Of course this was about 8 years ago and now it takes a whole month to get 14 new reviews. :(

It use to be a real achievement to win a GAD back then.

Back when this was a gaming site with a front page of news, reviews and a shop that sold games and consoles. It pretty much had a clear purpose and encouraged gamers to come to the site and post.

While Freeola is a great ISP, the business doesn't quite lend itself to generating as much discussion as something like gaming.
Fri 08/06/12 at 08:08
Regular
"I like turtles"
Dr. Garin wrote:
Pete! We need a car analogy!

Sorry Garin, I'm afraid I've got nothing in the tank this morning...

A Volvo with a bodywork of a box, isn't that technically a Volvo?

Perhaps words like ''hip'' & ''trendy'' should be banned from this site and replaced with the likes of ''beast'' & ''skillz''......? :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.