GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Eurovision 2012"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/05/12 at 11:31
"possibly impossible"
So, who is prepared for this year's Eurovision ?

Plenty of controversy around the venue this year in Baku and moving people out the way to build it.

Also, we have Jedwood to look forward to as the Irish entry. You know what? The songs not bad in an infectious throwaway pop sort of way. Far better than England's Humperdink song which just sends me off to sleep.

Semi finals are May 22nd & 24th
Final is May 26th
Sun 27/05/12 at 13:17
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pete_21 wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]Hmmm.. But then Sweden did pull a bit of a fast one by releasing the song in several European countries prior to the competition... It was either very clever, or it was verging on cheating, I have yet to decide which I believe.

I'm sure that wasn't the only rule that was slightly flexed, Greece & Cyprus seem to vote for each other every year and they are virtually the same country!, no doubt they did the same thing again this year. Luckily I really couldn't care less but like I said earlier, it's hardly a competition as it's certainly not about the quality of the performances or the songwriting. I did hear the UK entry earlier this week (the only entry I have actually heard) and to be honest I'm not surprised it did so poorly, it made a Radiohead track seem upbeat! Apart from not being very good it was totally wrong for the cheese fest that is Eurovision.[/i]

When it comes to Eurovision, ALL rules are flexible it seems...

However, I do disagree with you, it IS all about quality of performance and songwriting, just not in the way you'd expect..:-) Top performance in any Eurovision contest should consist of something reflecting the nation's musical roots or oddities, an exceptionally over- the- top stage prescence, eyeball searing visuals and an annoying, catchy little chorus that won't leave your brain unless you fancy opting in for a frontal lobotomy.

The voting is political, absolutely, but it doesn't really matter in the slightest.

Greece and Cyprus, "virtually the same country"??!! Not sure they'd agree with that statement, in the same way that you couldn't really get away with saying it about UK and Ireland..
Sun 27/05/12 at 12:40
Regular
"I like turtles"
chasfh wrote:
Hmmm.. But then Sweden did pull a bit of a fast one by releasing the song in several European countries prior to the competition... It was either very clever, or it was verging on cheating, I have yet to decide which I believe.

I'm sure that wasn't the only rule that was slightly flexed, Greece & Cyprus seem to vote for each other every year and they are virtually the same country!, no doubt they did the same thing again this year. Luckily I really couldn't care less but like I said earlier, it's hardly a competition as it's certainly not about the quality of the performances or the songwriting. I did hear the UK entry earlier this week (the only entry I have actually heard) and to be honest I'm not surprised it did so poorly, it made a Radiohead track seem upbeat! Apart from not being very good it was totally wrong for the cheese fest that is Eurovision.
Sun 27/05/12 at 12:34
"possibly impossible"
Sonic Chris wrote:
You have to ask yourself, do you really want the UK to win it? Some of the cost for hosting the thing would presumably come from us paying for it. It's already bad enough that the olympics are slowly killing us.

Spain was saying the same thing. But then we're not so bothered about the competition aspect as the entertainment.

Italy's San Remo is more of a proper competition for European singers anyway.
Sun 27/05/12 at 12:29
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
You have to ask yourself, do you really want the UK to win it? Some of the cost for hosting the thing would presumably come from us paying for it. It's already bad enough that the olympics are slowly killing us.

Yes, but won't we have a lot of defunct Olympic venues after this year that would be perfect for hosting some of the worlds worst acts?
Aren't we a step ahead, seeing as we've already moved people out of their homes and disrupted their lives at great expense to make way for an event that most of us Brits will only get to see on tv?

I would imagine this makes us better equipped than most nations to step up to the plate and put on a good show...

(can't imagine why so many people accuse me of being cynical...)
Sun 27/05/12 at 12:21
Regular
"How Ironic"
Sun 27/05/12 at 11:43
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
pete_21 wrote:
[i]I see the Humpster didn't do so great, didn't bother watching the competition (if you could call it that?) but presume it was terrible as ever?

The last time I did see it (the year Lordi won) most neighbouring countries just voted for each other, is that still the case?

You will always get people voting for neighbouring countries because family and friends live there. Now every country has a phone vote so the public decide.

That said, there were some surprises this year and most countries seemed in agreement that the song Euphoria from Sweden was the best.[/i]

Hmmm.. But then Sweden did pull a bit of a fast one by releasing the song in several European countries prior to the competition... It was either very clever, or it was verging on cheating, I have yet to decide which I believe.

Absolutely, categorically, NOT the best song in the competion as far as I was concerned, there were several others of a much higher standard; not ours, however, and most certainly not Ireland's- PLEASE let this be the end of Jed-wooden...

Couple of things we need to do if we are ever going to stand a chance of winning.

First off, we need to find a singer under the age of 70 with a song that doesn't sound like a funeral dirge for a manic depressive, preferrably one that can hold a tune (just) and doesn't mind having parts of their song translated (badly) into twenty other languages. Or we need to find a singer OVER the age of 90 with a backstory of how his chicken shed was bombed during the blitz and his "war pension isn't enough to cover building a new one".
Or we need a female singer with hair designed by Salvador Dali and a voice like a backfiring chieftain tank, dressed in a glitter trimmed wind sock (or, for that "classy" appeal, a nice frock from House Dracul or the latest "Clothes for Undertakers" catalogue).

Secondly, we need to agree with everything that the rest of Europe says and does so that we are no longer the "leper isle" and everyone can love us again.

In other words, we can never win, politically we are a loss all the way. But, in true UK fashion, "it's not the winning, it's the taking part!" and for that, I love the whole Eurovision thing....
Sun 27/05/12 at 09:52
"possibly impossible"
pete_21 wrote:
I see the Humpster didn't do so great, didn't bother watching the competition (if you could call it that?) but presume it was terrible as ever?

The last time I did see it (the year Lordi won) most neighbouring countries just voted for each other, is that still the case?

You will always get people voting for neighbouring countries because family and friends live there. Now every country has a phone vote so the public decide.

That said, there were some surprises this year and most countries seemed in agreement that the song Euphoria from Sweden was the best.
Sun 27/05/12 at 08:43
Regular
"I like turtles"
I see the Humpster didn't do so great, didn't bother watching the competition (if you could call it that?) but presume it was terrible as ever?

Sat 26/05/12 at 23:19
Regular
"How Ironic"
How can I get into the spirit when we're not even bad enough to finish last anymore? I'm dissapointed. Norway robbed us.
Sat 26/05/12 at 22:30
"possibly impossible"
Shame, you missed all the fun. Eurovision is an entertainment product. You need to get into the spirit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.