GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Eurovision 2012"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/05/12 at 11:31
"possibly impossible"
So, who is prepared for this year's Eurovision ?

Plenty of controversy around the venue this year in Baku and moving people out the way to build it.

Also, we have Jedwood to look forward to as the Irish entry. You know what? The songs not bad in an infectious throwaway pop sort of way. Far better than England's Humperdink song which just sends me off to sleep.

Semi finals are May 22nd & 24th
Final is May 26th
Mon 28/05/12 at 21:15
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
Good point, although influence doesn't necessitate liking...

Quite honestly, as I said, who cares if other countries like us or not? I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it, and I'll still be watching the Eurovision regardless. I daresay most of the other nations feel much the same, with the opinion that the rest of the world dislikes them.

Again good point ... but I think I'll join Dr G on this one :¬)
Mon 28/05/12 at 17:46
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Dr. Garin wrote:
I'm disappointed Ivi Adamou didnt win. :( Although the amount of lipstick she was wearing made her look like The Joker at times.

Every year now, we get the line nobody likes the UK so they dont vote for us. Yet eurovision is the perfect example of our influence. Once upon a time eurovision was filled with songs that were culturally unique to that country. Now its filled with english language songs in styles whose origin is very often found in the UK (or at worst the US). I'd argue we won eurovision permanently quite a few years ago. :)

Good point, although influence doesn't necessitate liking...

Quite honestly, as I said, who cares if other countries like us or not? I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it, and I'll still be watching the Eurovision regardless. I daresay most of the other nations feel much the same, with the opinion that the rest of the world dislikes them.
Mon 28/05/12 at 16:13
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I'm disappointed Ivi Adamou didnt win. :( Although the amount of lipstick she was wearing made her look like The Joker at times.

Every year now, we get the line nobody likes the UK so they dont vote for us. Yet eurovision is the perfect example of our influence. Once upon a time eurovision was filled with songs that were culturally unique to that country. Now its filled with english language songs in styles whose origin is very often found in the UK (or at worst the US). I'd argue we won eurovision permanently quite a few years ago. :)
Mon 28/05/12 at 12:56
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
Considering we seem to foot the bill for quite a lot of Eurovision, I'd scrap it. It's a contest to show how unpopular we are in Europe. I do agree pete, I don't think the UK would win with the best entry possible (god only knows what that would be...)

No no no!! We're not a nation of quitters, for goodness' sake, we still play football internationally and nobody suggests we quit because we don't often win, we compete in the Olympics in events we don't stand a hope in....

Since when did we ever consider the winning or being "popular" the most important part of ANYTHING? I don't think we as a nation have been particularly "popular" since the Crusades, so why start worrying about it now?

Eurovision is not about winning, it's not about popularity, it's all about ENTERTAINMENT! Bad songs, bad hairdo's, badly translated lyrics, awful presenters and the occasional gem that rarely ever gets recognised, along with some cracking commentary by our own presenters. This is FUN! Pure and simple...

Ignore the politics, they mean nothing. Hang the expense, it's still not costing us a great deal (and probably wouldn't even if we did win) and in terms of entertainment value, it's a cracking deal! Over three hours of laughs, surprises and swearing at the tv, what's wrong with that?

Just love the Eurovision for what it is!:-)
Mon 28/05/12 at 08:20
"possibly impossible"
Yep, that's the problem when you give normal people the vote. Terrible, really.

Calling it political voting these days is madness. There was an issue prior to tele-voting when countries did this, but now it's just residents of that country voting for what they like best and it's obviously going to be something similar to their tastes. It's the same with politics.

To be honest, most people in the UK watch Eurovision for the entertainment. Parties are held all over the country and people make it an event. This alone is worth continuing despite the fact that the UK doesn't get votes because it doesn't 'get' the culture of the rest of Europe or has a crap song.

If we wanted to win we'd just get a famous person from one of the more popular countries to sing the song and make it sound like a mix of the styles that get the most votes.
Mon 28/05/12 at 01:21
Regular
"How Ironic"
Considering we seem to foot the bill for quite a lot of Eurovision, I'd scrap it. It's a contest to show how unpopular we are in Europe. I do agree pete, I don't think the UK would win with the best entry possible (god only knows what that would be...)
Sun 27/05/12 at 23:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I'd call it 'EuroTrash' but that's all ready been done :¬P
Sun 27/05/12 at 22:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
Just checked and Cyprus did indeed award Greece maximum points last night and vice-versa, also I just found this so like I said earlier it's nothing really new.

As for the best song will always win argument, can't say that I agree with that. Eurovision is not really a competition as it's voting system appears to be seriously flawed. Even if the UK had entered a popular talented artist performing a great song to perfection I doubt they would even have beaten the musical grannies or whatever the hell they were.
Sun 27/05/12 at 21:02
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Generally, the best song wins as it will gain enough non-political points to win. It's just the lower ends of the table that suffer from it.
Sun 27/05/12 at 19:44
Regular
"How Ironic"
I don't think the voting between friendly nations affects the overall outcome at all. Sweden were outright winners by 113 points. Take away the Scandinavian votes they may have gained from just being 'good mates', and you still have an outright winner. Everyone always emphasises this factor, and I really don't think it's relevant. Yes, it's frustrating, but what do you do? People vote for who they want, you can't change that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.