GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MOH:AA - what does everyone think?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/02/02 at 14:14
Regular
What does everyone think about Medal of Honour: Allied Assault?
Wed 29/05/02 at 08:37
Here's my review, which can also be found at http://special.reserve.co.uk/reviews /review.php?custid=995228485 ;D

The ellusive Medal of Honour series has built up a name for itself in a rather short span of time. The original was released in 1998 on the Playstation, and treated gamers to one of the first decent war-time games on any console. Two years later, EA unleashed the sequel, entitled Medal of Honour: Underground, and was, too, a hit. Now, EA have a new target, in the PC, and they don't disappoint, with Medal of Honour: Allied Assault - the new MOH title, and from the first screenshot I saw, I began salivating at the mouth. We know that MOH can perform on a console platform, but can it deliver on a totally different level? From the first screenshots of the Ohama beach level, I'd have to say yes, but what does the rest of the game hold? Read on and find out...

Allied Assault begins like any ordinary game - you are crammed into a boat with your soldier cohorts and sent to Ohama beach destroy the Germans. There is no guarantee of returning alive, and you may lose a few limbs along the way, but the thought of blasting Germans to hell is a pretty tempting sentiment. This scripted sequence (and there are a LOT of them) continues, and from the opening whistle ensues blood, sweat...and blood. In a word: it's a gorefest. The boat beside you is blasted with a rocket, and your friends are now dying for you, and your country. There's nothing to do but run - run for all you're worth. If you survive it, you are treated to twenty-odd more levels of the same, and more. In case you haven't already gathered, my two cents on this game is this: excellent. The first level is so reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan, down to the smallest, most muniscule detail, and it's such an amazing level to play. I found myself once sitting there for hours, just running around the beach, attempting (very badly) to shoot the imposing Nazis. There is also an excellent multiplayer mode, which allows you to play against up to 30 other players online in an Allies .vs. Axis format.

The gameplay is some of the best I've seen in a PC shooter for a long, long time. The scripted sequences (which are unskippable) are worth watching, and don't grow old when watched multiple times (partially due to the overwhelming graphics, which I'll touch on later) and the order of the game is very playable. The weapons are fantastic and the level design is flawless. Just looking down from the boat to the shingle at the end of the beach will make you salivate like a dog on drugs. Only one gripe: the enemies can be a little TOO intelligent (I can't believe I'm saying this). After all, they're only Nazis, right? The graphics is what grabbed me here - they are so photorealistic! Some of the textures, like the protection on the Ohama beach level, can be a little flat and jagged, but in general, the textures are decent, and the rest of the game compensates for this times over anyway. The sound is also great. It's not over the top, but it's far from subtle. If seeing a missle landing on your comrade isn't exciting enough, the sound of it hitting the ground and destroying anything it hits will be. All these features will keep you playing for weeks.

Medal of Honour: Allied Assault is unmistakably a classic, and I'm not just saying that because it's aesthetically pleasing, no. This is the single most cinematic experience I am yet to have the pleasure of playing, and although it is unrealistic in places, isn't that what games are all about? The Multiplayer mode is one of the best features, and there really is no feeling like snipering an enemy threat from half-way across the world. Allied Assault creates an ultimately superlative experience, and bags of fun to boot. The guys at EA have certainly done themselves proud, and I await the slightly-altered PS2 counterpart, Medal of Honour: Frontline, with open arms.
Fri 17/05/02 at 10:34
Regular
"A man with a stick"
If you want blood then why don't you download a blood patch from the internet. Why do people complain about this anyway? I had no problems with the fact there was blood in the game, it didn't spoil my enjoyment.
Thu 16/05/02 at 19:45
one problem no blood and of corse u left out friendy fire u people BLLOD,BLOOD,BLOOD
Sat 04/05/02 at 19:54
Regular
"simpsons rule"
i think medal of hounor allied assault is a great game
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:25
Can anyone help?

I am currently playing MOH.AA, however as I go onto the playing screen my internet log-on screen appears and I then have to play the game on this small screen,even though I cancel my log-on, which makes playing very difficult.

Would be v.grateful forany help.

S.
Fri 03/05/02 at 00:28
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
The Jocks Rule wrote:
> Is there an on-line game? Cool.

Yep, there's a whole world out there just waiting to gun you down, either play MOH:AA online with your mates, or play on the net, either way it's bloody brilliant!

Ignore what Ice Raider has to say, he's being a complete pratt! Get out there online and kick/shoot some a55!
Thu 02/05/02 at 23:03
This game rocks. Unfortunatly i have just recently completed it. Does 'Ice' have any idea what he's talking about? NAH!!!!!
Omaha Beach landing took forever to complete however once I did, had to go back and do it again and again.

Is there an on-line game? Cool.
Sun 21/04/02 at 17:26
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Ice Raider wrote:
> Medal of Honour is the worst game I have played in years, the graphics
> are not good, the sound is atrocious and it's just too boring to be
> fun. Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza and Tomb Raider are miles better.

What the Feck!!!!!

Medal of honour is a great game, a trully breathtaking First Person Shooter. Obviously you have a naff computer if you think the graphics are aren't good, get an upgrade to enjoy them fully. The sound is one of the best things in the game (along with the actual gameplay), and I'm going to buying a surround sound system soon to enjoy the SFX.

It is in no way boring, there is plenty to do, take on hoards of soldiers, do the scaringly realistic Omaha beach landing and drive a tank through a destroyed french village. Comparing this game to Nakatomi plaza and tomb raider, is something I find slightly insulting.

Medal of honour is one of the best games you can get for the PC, and I have to say there must be something wrong with you if you put Tomb raider and Die hard are ahead of this title.
Sat 20/04/02 at 02:00
Ice , I have read a few of your posts and it sounds like you only have 2 games....DH nakatomi Plaza and TR (maybe the whole series of TR). Are you truely comparing TR with MOH??? Obviously you are well within your rights to slate MOH for gameplay, if you so wish, but to slate it for audio and visual is another thing?? Let me extract an ounce of sanity from your post !! aurally MOH contains one of the best scores i've heard for quite some time. Check it out.
Sat 20/04/02 at 00:12
Regular
"Suck it baby, yeah!"
Medal of Honour is the worst game I have played in years, the graphics are not good, the sound is atrocious and it's just too boring to be fun. Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza and Tomb Raider are miles better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.