GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 makes christmas affordable."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/12/02 at 11:06
Regular
How many shops have you been in this Christmas and seen PS2 games being sold for £29.99 or less. Comet, Dixons, PC World they are all at it and the reason they can afford to sell PS2 games at that price is the fact they can offset the price against the many more sales they will get for that particular title.

Then ask yourself how many Xbox and GC titles you see for these sort of prices Sony make gaming affordable hell they even have Platinium games that are £20 or 2 of £30 in a lot of places.
Tue 17/12/02 at 21:11
Regular
Belldandy wrote:

> But that profit is relative to costs, maybe if Nintendo went to
> advertising school that'd change.....

They do, just not much in Europe.

They hate us remember.

Though their advertising has been better recently. Someone does need to slap them though and tell them to stop advertising games 3 months before they're released.
Tue 17/12/02 at 20:49
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> N64 made more profit than the PS1 did.

Which would be why I can buy a new N64 for £20, and no games still come out for it, and why the PSONE still sells for 49.99, and games still come out for it ?

> Gamecube is making more profit than both the Xbox and PS2.

But that profit is relative to costs, maybe if Nintendo went to advertising school that'd change.....

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 17/12/02 at 19:44
Regular
maddmun wrote:
£70 for a DVD player of THAT quality at least!?
> YOU ARE OFF YOUR NUT!
> I got my DVD player for £50 out of Tesco and I prefer to switch
> the Scart cables everytime I want to switch from games to DVD's
> (normally once a day) than watch them on the crappy PS2's DVD player
> which doesn't let me see the actual improvements of DVD over video,
> it's like playing on 50Hz mode on a 100Hz compatible TV and a scart
> cable, Utter RUBBISH.
>
> How much did I pay? £180, an extra tenner for the more superior
> console AND DVD player.
>
> In fact, I'd gladly pay over £200 for a GC and DVD player,
>
> Oh, and my Price facts were taking into account the RRP's of buying
> everythng separately(except the X-Box since it's price drops every
> day) (and including the crappy DVD player with the GC).

Strange, how much difference people would have you believe there is between PS2 DVD and a normal DVD player. Like I said, my PS2 DVD was almost identical to my old Pioneer DVD player. And while I admit my current Sony DVD/SACD drive is better, you can't say it's like going from VHS to DVD all over again. A good DVD player + good Widescreen FLAT CRT (100HZ) provides almost the best picture you can currently get. Well, unless you go for Plasma, but thats expensive (and anyway it's still working of the same signals). The only way to get another big upgrade is to wait for HDTV and plug in a HDTV DVD drive.
Tue 17/12/02 at 17:16
Regular
Top score wrote:
> It's called the Gamboy Unadvanced (80's retro style gaming) got to
> love paying big money for SNES style games.

Although most of the ports were made in the 90's, and are more superior to all but one game to this day (Mario 64)

> Carry on lemming

That was a great game too, might I add.
Tue 17/12/02 at 17:15
Regular
Top score wrote:

> Firstly a GC and a dvd player of the quality you are suggesting would
> cost you well over £200.

£70 for a DVD player of THAT quality at least!?
YOU ARE OFF YOUR NUT!
I got my DVD player for £50 out of Tesco and I prefer to switch the Scart cables everytime I want to switch from games to DVD's (normally once a day) than watch them on the crappy PS2's DVD player which doesn't let me see the actual improvements of DVD over video, it's like playing on 50Hz mode on a 100Hz compatible TV and a scart cable, Utter RUBBISH.

How much did I pay? £180, an extra tenner for the more superior console AND DVD player.

In fact, I'd gladly pay over £200 for a GC and DVD player,

Oh, and my Price facts were taking into account the RRP's of buying everythng separately(except the X-Box since it's price drops every day) (and including the crappy DVD player with the GC).
Tue 17/12/02 at 17:06
Regular
Top score wrote:
> The Nintendo GC should have come out in 2003 when it might get some
> descent games.

Might? MIGHT!?

WTF? It has as many decent games as the PS2 right now, and that amount will have grown significantly by the end of next year.
Tue 17/12/02 at 17:03
Regular
"bit of a brain"
How do you know any of that Top Score?
Are you just making it up?
Tue 17/12/02 at 17:03
Regular
Unbeliever wrote:

Bring on Sony if they want to try it. To all you PS2 lovers out there: don't forget that the biggest selling console on earth is made by Nintendo.

It's called the Gamboy Unadvanced (80's retro style gaming) got to love paying big money for SNES style games.

Carry on lemming
Tue 17/12/02 at 16:58
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:

> Gamecube is making more profit than both the Xbox and PS2.

Why did Nintendo admit themselves that they were falling behind and made a bad error in judgement by releasing the GC at low a price and there profit margins have suffered terribly, slow GC sales only make the problem worse. Couple this with the fact they are not making half as much profit on games because they have to sell titles at competitive prices rather than ripping people off, then things don't look good.

Also another big problem looming for Nintendo is the mobile market, with pda's and mobile phone getting ever more sophisicated with better screens and more ram I see the face of mobile gaming changing radically. MS and Sony realise this and that is why they are reluctant to jump in.
Tue 17/12/02 at 16:54
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Was that a proposal?
Oh a wedding, DaveRJR will be pleased.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.