GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grand Theft Auto 4 :"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto IV'.
Wed 18/12/02 at 13:59
Regular
Hinted at work from a guy who has connections with a dude that works for Take Two. The next Grand Theft Auto is going to be set in the future around a city with looks based on those of the Blade Runner film.

I can only think of the possibilites and endless plotline ideas they will come up with. Maybe there is another game to actually look forward to on the PS2....
Thu 19/12/02 at 16:11
Regular
maddmun wrote:
There are 3 things I have to say. First, the PS2 runs on 4 different processors, which make it A LOT more difficult to program for.

Thought GC had more co-processors than any other console out there. So does that make GC more difficult to develope for?

Also, the games are normally designed FOR the PS2, that's why there is normally very little, if any improvement above the other games,since they are programmed for the PS2, it takes a short while to edit it to put on the BETTER Xbox disks, and even longer to put on the GC disks because they are a completely different type.

I keep seeing reports on PS2>XBox and PS2>GC ports. Often they are identical looking. Some times, there is a slight improvement. You ARE right that this is because they are port games which don't really make full use of XBox or GC extra power. But some might argue that if XBox and GC are so much better, why are the developers still choosing to code on PS2 first.

Third, before anyone mentions how small the memory is of GC disks, think about the Multiformat games which fit onto those disks. A waste of space on the others if you ask me. TS2 fits on a 1.5 gigabyte disk, and is the best version of the lot, it also fits on the what is it,
20Gb disks? of the PS2 and Xbox. Definately a waste of space.

So just because TS2 fits on a smaller disc, PS2 users should loose GTA3 + VC? Thats what it would mean, if Sony had a smaller, lower capacity disc.
Wed 18/12/02 at 17:58
Regular
"Black pepper?"
:-)
Wed 18/12/02 at 17:42
Regular
"Black pepper?"
Yeah we do. Fool!
Wed 18/12/02 at 17:25
Regular
Top score wrote:

> The Xbox version would be easier to program for is that why all the
> multigames usually come out after the PS2 versions. Lets face it if
> the PS2 is so difficlut to program for why did it only take them year
> too create the next installment VC. GTA4 on Xbox you can live in hope
> I suppose.

There are 3 things I have to say. First, the PS2 runs on 4 different processors, which make it A LOT more difficult to program for.

Also, the games are normally designed FOR the PS2, that's why there is normally very little, if any improvement above the other games,since they are programmed for the PS2, it takes a short while to edit it to put on the BETTER Xbox disks, and even longer to put on the GC disks because they are a completely different type.

Third, before anyone mentions how small the memory is of GC disks, think about the Multiformat games which fit onto those disks. A waste of space on the others if you ask me. TS2 fits on a 1.5 gigabyte disk, and is the best version of the lot, it also fits on the what is it, 20Gb disks? of the PS2 and Xbox. Definately a waste of space.
Wed 18/12/02 at 16:09
Regular
Oh. Blade Runner style.

Not THAT futuristic then... :-)
Wed 18/12/02 at 16:07
Regular
Top score wrote:

> The whole reason the GTA series is cartoony is to get it through the
> censors if it had realistic graphics it could faced being banned as in
> Australia.

No. Otherwise the other versions would've been realistic.
GTA is cartoony because DMA have style.

> The Xbox version would be easier to program for is that why all the
> multigames usually come out after the PS2 versions. Lets face it if
> the PS2 is so difficlut to program for why did it only take them year
> too create the next installment VC.

That's because they used the same program engine from GTA3 (with a couple of refinements but nothing too time consuming) so the programming part was pretty much done already.

As for GTA4, does that mean multi-storey air traffic?
Sounds like it has potential...
Wed 18/12/02 at 14:37
Regular
CrazyCat wrote:
> I hope the next GTA4 is far enough way to make it onto XBox - out of
> the reach of the Sony deal. If it's set in the future, kinda hi-tech,
> it would be good if you could stop time and go back, etc. A sci-fi
> tech appearance would also be easier to make on XBox and look better.
> Better than that cartoon appearance on the PS2 GTA series.

The whole reason the GTA series is cartoony is to get it through the censors if it had realistic graphics it could faced being banned as in Australia.

The Xbox version would be easier to program for is that why all the multigames usually come out after the PS2 versions. Lets face it if the PS2 is so difficlut to program for why did it only take them year too create the next installment VC. GTA4 on Xbox you can live in hope I suppose.
Wed 18/12/02 at 14:17
Regular
I hope the next GTA4 is far enough way to make it onto XBox - out of the reach of the Sony deal. If it's set in the future, kinda hi-tech, it would be good if you could stop time and go back, etc. A sci-fi tech appearance would also be easier to make on XBox and look better. Better than that cartoon appearance on the PS2 GTA series.
Wed 18/12/02 at 14:14
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Cool.

I would like to see a time machine car (Back to the future style car) that when you hit 80 you are shot back in time and can use your impressive array of weapons on cowboys etc.

:-P

Whatever they do it is likely to be quite impressive. Just hope the radio will still play classics and not futuristic pop and dance crap.
Wed 18/12/02 at 13:59
Regular
"everyone says it"
Hinted at work from a guy who has connections with a dude that works for Take Two. The next Grand Theft Auto is going to be set in the future around a city with looks based on those of the Blade Runner film.

I can only think of the possibilites and endless plotline ideas they will come up with. Maybe there is another game to actually look forward to on the PS2....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.