GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why I won't be buying MGS2 (mainly for Tarrant and SSXPRO)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/02 at 15:00
Regular
Ok, (why do I seem to start all my threads with that? Anyway...) why won't I be buying MGS2? Simple:

Hype.

It's very rare that an anticipated game ever lives up to it's hype, let alone a game of MGS2 proportions. It's actually realliy pee-ing me off when I keep reading stuff on here like:

"MGS 2 is the best game EVER!".

Er, no it's not. IMHO. Also, how do you know? Have you played the full thing? Have you played every game that's ever been released, ever? Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's going to be rubbish. I just don't think it will be this gaming utopia that everyone seems to be expecting.

I have played the demo, and admittedly it's not the full game, so I haven't got the complete view. But then you wouldn't get the complete view until you'd spent your £40 and completed the whole game.

Which I don't intend to do.

What's wrong with it then?

Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but: What *is* a Metal Gear? Who are the people you work for? Good guys or Bad Guys? I sat through about 4 days of cut scene before playing the demo, and I still don't know the answers.

The main problem I have with MGS2, apart from the fact it's boring as hell (more on that later), is the fact that it seems to rely on you having played, and to some extent completed, the first game.

Which I haven't. I didn't own a PSX, and haven't played even 1 second of MGS. So I have no idea of the story etc. Was this explained to me? Nope.

Going back to the boring bit I mentioned earlier...

I found MGS2 boring. I know this part is all personal opinion, so I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I did. I want games to be fun. I don't want to have to sneak around making sure no one can see me. I want to barge in with a rocket launcher and blow the crap out of everyone.

I don't want to spend my playing time in complete fear of being discovered. I don't want to breathe a huge sigh of relief each time I finish a level.

Basically, I want enjoyment, not challenges from my game.

I want a game that I can play for just 10 minutes before I go to the pub. I want a game where I don't *have* to play for an hour just to get a level finished. I want a game where I don't save at every opportunity just in case one tiny mistake means game over.

I want a game that isn't MGS2.
Fri 15/02/02 at 10:32
dont call me a gimp or anything tarrant its got nothing to do with you are telling me i cant have my oppinion about someone elses oppinion you are telling me that i am wrong for dissin someone elses oppinion so but out back to where you came from and stop stirring things to make the nearly dead argument and binging back to life, p*** off.
Fri 15/02/02 at 10:23
Oh, and it pretty much lives up to the hype ;¬)

IO should know, I've had the honour, the gratitude and the privelage of playing the full version (for a few minutes)
Fri 15/02/02 at 01:16
alik wrote:
> i agree that we are all entitled to our own opinion

but i cant understand anyone
> not liking

That pretty much sums up your problem then matey. You can't understand, so you stamp your feet and tell YH that he is wrong. That doesn't sound like you are allowing YH have his opinion to me.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that you are a gimp, but do show at least a little more respect to one of the most respected regulars/ likely candidates for notable.
You are a newbie, your opinions count as much as anyone else's AND NO MORE!

Get off your high horse you illiterate chimp.
Thu 14/02/02 at 19:33
Regular
I hate Maths, but for some Stupid reason I am still doing it at A-Level. Does command a lot of respect from other people when you tell them you are doing it though.
Thu 14/02/02 at 19:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think this game looks excellent, can't wait to play it. For me though I'm a big MGS fan, I like the story.

At the same time though I'd be lying if I said that I don't feel like the magazines have ruined it for me. All the hype and having to print every little detail that is released just makes me feel like I've played all the way through the game without even touching a joypad.

I know I have a choice to read the information and stuff but I want to see how its coming along. But at the same time the magazines have released too much info on the plot without any warning of spoilers as far as the plot is concerned.

Plus I'm really looking forward to Halo which I'll have just a few days after buying MGS2 so that has kind of taken some of the excitement out of it.

Still really want to play the game though :-) Probably play it to death till I beat it - well in time for the arrival of Halo ;-)
Thu 14/02/02 at 19:25
Regular
Everyone has something that they like/dislike that perhaps everybody else dislikes/likes. For example:

Pro Evolution Soccer. I won`t touch it, or any football game, however, it is supposedly a fantastic game.

Mathematics. I love it, spend lots of time doing it, but on the whole most people hate it.
Thu 14/02/02 at 18:51
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
You don't need to understand another persons opinion, you need to accept it. Although you think that MGS2 is the best game ever, that doesn't mean YH does. YH doesn't share the same brain as you does he? That means he obviously doesn't have the same oppinion as you. That is why these forums used to be called "DISSCUSION forums" and not "Keep arguing until everyone thinks you are right, forums"

I don't think MGS2 is the best game ever, I just think it is good. Had I have not won GAD, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting the game. This is because I never had the first game, so I am still not sure wheather I will get bored of the game half way through it.

If everyone agread with each other, this world would be a boring place.
Thu 14/02/02 at 14:18
i agree that we are all entitled to our own opinion but i cant understand anyone not liking itespecially since we havent played the finished title, the demo rocks and the reviews are great and if it is anything like the final product of mgs on the psone then we are going to have one hell of a game on our hands, i cant wait!
Thu 14/02/02 at 13:17
Regular
Woah! Things are getting fairly hot in here aren`t they!

Whilst I do not share Your Honey`s opinion, I do accept it. He is fully entitled to his own opinion, and he has given valid reasons for it. Personally I don`t like Rez, but love MGS2. I have my reasons, and YH has reasons to the contrary.

I am happy that alik is enjoying his PS2 and feels strongly about its potential, but things need to be calmed down a little here. Lets all leave each other to have our own opinions.
Thu 14/02/02 at 13:04
Regular
In the same vein, how can people go around calling it "the best game ever!" on just the basis of the demo?

If I haven't played enough to say I don't like it, how can people who've played exactly the same amount as me call it a classic?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.