GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why I won't be buying MGS2 (mainly for Tarrant and SSXPRO)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/02 at 15:00
Regular
Ok, (why do I seem to start all my threads with that? Anyway...) why won't I be buying MGS2? Simple:

Hype.

It's very rare that an anticipated game ever lives up to it's hype, let alone a game of MGS2 proportions. It's actually realliy pee-ing me off when I keep reading stuff on here like:

"MGS 2 is the best game EVER!".

Er, no it's not. IMHO. Also, how do you know? Have you played the full thing? Have you played every game that's ever been released, ever? Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's going to be rubbish. I just don't think it will be this gaming utopia that everyone seems to be expecting.

I have played the demo, and admittedly it's not the full game, so I haven't got the complete view. But then you wouldn't get the complete view until you'd spent your £40 and completed the whole game.

Which I don't intend to do.

What's wrong with it then?

Ok, this may sound like a silly question, but: What *is* a Metal Gear? Who are the people you work for? Good guys or Bad Guys? I sat through about 4 days of cut scene before playing the demo, and I still don't know the answers.

The main problem I have with MGS2, apart from the fact it's boring as hell (more on that later), is the fact that it seems to rely on you having played, and to some extent completed, the first game.

Which I haven't. I didn't own a PSX, and haven't played even 1 second of MGS. So I have no idea of the story etc. Was this explained to me? Nope.

Going back to the boring bit I mentioned earlier...

I found MGS2 boring. I know this part is all personal opinion, so I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I did. I want games to be fun. I don't want to have to sneak around making sure no one can see me. I want to barge in with a rocket launcher and blow the crap out of everyone.

I don't want to spend my playing time in complete fear of being discovered. I don't want to breathe a huge sigh of relief each time I finish a level.

Basically, I want enjoyment, not challenges from my game.

I want a game that I can play for just 10 minutes before I go to the pub. I want a game where I don't *have* to play for an hour just to get a level finished. I want a game where I don't save at every opportunity just in case one tiny mistake means game over.

I want a game that isn't MGS2.
Sat 16/02/02 at 11:41
I was talking to YH you gimp.
Sat 16/02/02 at 11:40
a family size of kidney punches, look mate you wouldnt be able to get near me never mind hit me, i am a boxer down at my local gym so idont reckon you would be able to touch me so dont mouth it off.
Sat 16/02/02 at 11:38
Regular
I am the Tarrant wrote:

>"alik" is yet to earn any respect from me,

>thats his choice and I respect that.

:-)
Sat 16/02/02 at 02:10
Your Honour wrote:
> Tarrant: Treating EVERYONE with respect since 1983...

:-p

1982 fool.

I am respectful. But only when people deserve to be treated with respect. JATs don't get offended, they're not real people like you and I. "alik" is yet to earn any respect from me, and is going entirely the wrong way about it, but thats his choice and I respect that.

So less of your lip me bucko, or its a family sized bucket of kidney punches coming your way!!!
Fri 15/02/02 at 12:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Punks

I'll get MGS2 when it comes out because I liked the 1st one and the demo is pretty cool.

But there's going to be a lot of sulking kids because that game isn't the most perfect thing ever.
Too much hype is not a good thing.

Look at Rockstar.
GTA3 appeared with zero fanfare and is No.1 in all PS2 polls.
State of Emergency has had litle hype from the company, but looks to be another winner.

Might not be, but at least we aren't expecting the Messiah in video-game form.
Fri 15/02/02 at 12:51
Regular
Tarrant: Treating EVERYONE with respect since 1983...

:-p
Fri 15/02/02 at 12:19
Minority tend to be correct? That sounds like high horse talk to me. Get back in line!
Fri 15/02/02 at 12:02
Having just read thru all the replies i can come to the conclusion that it all depends on opinions, obviously. Most of the time i despise the ps2 for many reasons and i am a firm supporter of nintendo as they always deliever satisfactory games.

Its unlikely that everyone's tastes will be catered for when a game is released however good it is, (there were even some idiots claiming that black and white was rubbish.)

Therefore to define a good game it must be something that caters for the majority of people and from the replies it seems that MGS2 is a good game.

But then again isnt it true that the minority tend to be correct?
Fri 15/02/02 at 10:38
Actually if you'd care to understand my post, I merely pointed out you contradicting yourself and said that your opinions count as much as everyone else's. At what point do I say you are not allowed your opinions.

Do you not think that crticising me on not allowing opinions is a tad hypocritical (dictionary.com)?
Fri 15/02/02 at 10:35
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Ive just been reading through this lot and there are quite a few interesting points here - yes evryone is entitled to their own opinion and should be allowed to state it. Others should be able to accept this without all these childish little digs when they are unable to come back with reasoned arguments.

I agree with YH on a few points - I did play MGS on PSone and enjoyed it but I wont be buying MGS2 because I like to play games for short periods at a time, I dont like to sit with a joypad for hours on end - I have a life! I own an N64 (oh the shame), PS one and Dreamcast as well as the PS2 and all of them get used at times because of the games not the consoles - Goldeneye, Sonic, MSR, Virutua Tennis etc. All great games and reason enough to keep the consoles. Yes Gamecube looks interesting but I will reserve judgement on X Box especially at 300 quid - It's the wrong price in the current market.

Demos - A constant bug bear with me - Demos are there to make you want to buy the game - I dont buy anygames that I havn't tried a demo or rented first. I tried demos of Fifa2002, Pro Evo and This is Football - There was only one winner - I think you can guess which one that was (PE of course!) but that again was my opinion based on what I experienced when I played it and I am sure that some people will still prefer Fifa (why though?). Playing/watching the demo of MGS2 is enough for me - the cut scenes are just too long for me - though maybe not for others. maybe I will start a new thread with discussion on demos.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.