GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox sucks ... it's official... 2 !"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/02/02 at 17:26
Regular
Today i played an xbox , in toys r us , i had to wait a while to play it , and i say now that it was
NOT worth it !

first of all the controller...

as many have said it isn't very good , and im sticking with that exact statement. It is just too big for the human hand , even my dad thought it was too big (and he has big hands) , the hand grips have no shape to them , they are basically just 2 rounded prongs , with a couple of triggers on the back.

The joysticks are in the wrong place and so are the buttons , your fingers dont go out that far i tell ya' they just dont ! but the sticks do feel quite nice when you do move them, but the controller itself is nothing to compared to the Gamecube one (before someone says "how do you know" i have one ;-))

Next , the console itself...

To be honest it dosent look too bad , it may be a bit on the bulky side , and that bix X jewel does look a bit gobby , but it's ok. It's not the best looking console by any means , but it doesn't look as bad as many claim it too.

The games...

The main part of any console is the games.
Im being totally honest here when i say they are Krap.
First i had a go at project gotham , the cars look ok , but not much difference from GT3. The accelaration on them is so slow , and the cars are slow aswell , i was going down a straight , holding down the accelaration button completely ... ive seen faster vehicles on f-zero on the Gameboy advance for peets sake !

I had a quick go at amped , which i wasn't to impressed with...
The graphics are pretty good , but not ground braking , and also , when i crashed, when the guy went to get up , the game paused slightly while he was half way getting up , only suddenly , but enough to notice , then continued , which i wasn't impressed with. This happens on alot of games on the playstation , but i didn't expect it from the quote " MOST POWERFULL" unquote games console.

Then i had a go at Halo , if this is xbox's AAA title , then Goldeneye (on the n64) is a AAAA. It is no different to goldeneye or perfect dark ! The graphics are ment to be out of this world , which in the cut scenes they are , but during gameplay , they are just over rated, bog standard First person shooter graphics.

basically what i am trying to get accross here , is that xbox sucks ! simple , the control does nothing for the machine or the games , the games aren't exactly the best ever made , and that juddery thing on amped really showed that it is just a horizontal PC !
Maybe it will get better , but at the moment it is no different from any other console , i have yet to see what the gamecube can do (in front of me) which i should be able to do in a week or 2 , (i have the games , the memory card , an extra control and all the other bits and bobs , but no gamecube ;-( )

thanks.

(please dont say that what i said is a load of dogs dollop , coz i HAVE seen it , and it wasn't amazing to say the least.)
Sat 09/02/02 at 17:26
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
Today i played an xbox , in toys r us , i had to wait a while to play it , and i say now that it was
NOT worth it !

first of all the controller...

as many have said it isn't very good , and im sticking with that exact statement. It is just too big for the human hand , even my dad thought it was too big (and he has big hands) , the hand grips have no shape to them , they are basically just 2 rounded prongs , with a couple of triggers on the back.

The joysticks are in the wrong place and so are the buttons , your fingers dont go out that far i tell ya' they just dont ! but the sticks do feel quite nice when you do move them, but the controller itself is nothing to compared to the Gamecube one (before someone says "how do you know" i have one ;-))

Next , the console itself...

To be honest it dosent look too bad , it may be a bit on the bulky side , and that bix X jewel does look a bit gobby , but it's ok. It's not the best looking console by any means , but it doesn't look as bad as many claim it too.

The games...

The main part of any console is the games.
Im being totally honest here when i say they are Krap.
First i had a go at project gotham , the cars look ok , but not much difference from GT3. The accelaration on them is so slow , and the cars are slow aswell , i was going down a straight , holding down the accelaration button completely ... ive seen faster vehicles on f-zero on the Gameboy advance for peets sake !

I had a quick go at amped , which i wasn't to impressed with...
The graphics are pretty good , but not ground braking , and also , when i crashed, when the guy went to get up , the game paused slightly while he was half way getting up , only suddenly , but enough to notice , then continued , which i wasn't impressed with. This happens on alot of games on the playstation , but i didn't expect it from the quote " MOST POWERFULL" unquote games console.

Then i had a go at Halo , if this is xbox's AAA title , then Goldeneye (on the n64) is a AAAA. It is no different to goldeneye or perfect dark ! The graphics are ment to be out of this world , which in the cut scenes they are , but during gameplay , they are just over rated, bog standard First person shooter graphics.

basically what i am trying to get accross here , is that xbox sucks ! simple , the control does nothing for the machine or the games , the games aren't exactly the best ever made , and that juddery thing on amped really showed that it is just a horizontal PC !
Maybe it will get better , but at the moment it is no different from any other console , i have yet to see what the gamecube can do (in front of me) which i should be able to do in a week or 2 , (i have the games , the memory card , an extra control and all the other bits and bobs , but no gamecube ;-( )

thanks.

(please dont say that what i said is a load of dogs dollop , coz i HAVE seen it , and it wasn't amazing to say the least.)
Sat 09/02/02 at 17:32
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well, at least you actually played it, unlike some Newbies who have posted in this forum! I was wondering what the pad would be like, thanks for letting us know.
Sat 09/02/02 at 17:36
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
okey-dokey
Sat 09/02/02 at 17:40
Regular
"Long time no see!"
What other games were you able to play, or weren't there any?? I've heard of a good racer, not like GTA, more of a serious racer, where you can drive through stuff. I can't remember what it's called though...
Sat 09/02/02 at 17:45
Regular
"Whatever!"
Solskjær_24 wrote:
> What other games were you able to play, or weren't there any?? I've heard of a
> good racer, not like GTA, more of a serious racer, where you can drive through
> stuff. I can't remember what it's called though...

Wreckless!!
Sat 09/02/02 at 17:47
Regular
"Whatever!"
Im going to take a trip over to Toys R Us soon - I wanna play an X-Box before judging it!! That controller doesnt half look uncomfortable though!!
Sat 09/02/02 at 18:00
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I kinda like the X-Box!

Yes it is a right ugly behemoth, but it's an OK machine when you get use to it.

I've played Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Amped, and Silent Hill 2 on it!

Mainly Amped, a brilliant snowboarding game, and I think I'm about half way through Silent Hill 2. The controller isn't too bad either once you get use to it.

Overall it's an ok machine, but i'm still gonna be gettin' a Gamecube!

:)
Sat 09/02/02 at 18:20
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
like i said it's ok , but it's not as good as it's been said to be.
Sat 09/02/02 at 18:33
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Yer the X-Box isn't really anything special. It's not any better than any of the other consoles available!

:)
Sat 09/02/02 at 18:40
you are saying that it is rubbish but will you some time buy it. wot about when its cheaper will you buy it then i wont like but will you

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.