GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are The PS2 Games worth £45?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/02/02 at 17:15
Regular
I do believe that some of the PS2 games at the minuite are not actually worth 40 of 45 pounds!!

I went into EB yesterday and was going to buy the Ministry of Sounds Music Generator (£40), when I saw E-Jay for the PC-CDROM for only £15!!!

If they are going to sell games like Rayman (M or Revolution) for £40 - £45 I'l start buying them for PS1 which are only £15!!!!

I suggest that PS2 lower their prices by about £5 or £10 pounds, as they would sell better and would probably gain a better prophit as more people would be buying them!!

Do you agree with me???

Tell me what you think!!!!!

I am also curious if you think the PC-CDROM games are better quality and are cheaper?

Thanks!!!

!!!Turn it up!!!
Wed 06/02/02 at 17:15
I do believe that some of the PS2 games at the minuite are not actually worth 40 of 45 pounds!!

I went into EB yesterday and was going to buy the Ministry of Sounds Music Generator (£40), when I saw E-Jay for the PC-CDROM for only £15!!!

If they are going to sell games like Rayman (M or Revolution) for £40 - £45 I'l start buying them for PS1 which are only £15!!!!

I suggest that PS2 lower their prices by about £5 or £10 pounds, as they would sell better and would probably gain a better prophit as more people would be buying them!!

Do you agree with me???

Tell me what you think!!!!!

I am also curious if you think the PC-CDROM games are better quality and are cheaper?

Thanks!!!

!!!Turn it up!!!
Wed 06/02/02 at 17:44
Regular
"lets go back"
I agree totaly. Scince launch day the price of the console has been cut twice with a third cut happening when metal gear 2 comes out. The games however are still £45. Most people cant afford this. Some games are excellent quality so paying these high prices is not as bad, but when the games are poorly made with review scores of 2/10 the price is an apsolute rip off.
Wed 06/02/02 at 17:47
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Why buy them from a shop when you can save money here?

I've just checked the SR site and in the first three pages there is only 2 games which are £45, Time Crisis II (gun bundled with it) and the second is FFX (which'll probably comedown in price as it gets nearer release date)

Try looking use the tool your using at the moment and stop moaning.

Shops have to sell at higher prices because they have to cover rent, rates, electricity etc. An internet site could be sat on a server in your bedroom.....not many overheads there!

If you live near an SR shop why not pay them a visit, they sell their games the same price as mailorder (internet) games.
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:07
Regular
"lets go back"
I agree about getting cheaper games on the net but its the principle that i'm talking about. some people dont have net access. The games companies could still lower the prices of the games so they would be cheaper in shops.

Play247 does have good prices (well probably the best) but the last couple of things i ordered, i had difficuly recieving so i tend not to buy from there now. Do u know of any other cheap sites?
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:14
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Games like GTA3 are DEFINITLEY worth the full £45!! They offer you everything you could want for gameplaying, except a multiplayer mode - oh well, more for yourself!
You won't find yourself bored of a game like this, untill GTA4 is released!! And that probably won't appear untill the PS3 arrives!
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:20
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Geffdof wrote:
> I agree about getting cheaper games on the net but its the principle that i'm talking about. some people dont have net access. The games companies could still lower the prices of the games so they would be cheaper in shops.

It's not the principle at all, yes everyone's been moaning about this for ages, all PSx titles were too high blah blah blah! Now you can pick a PSx title up for about a tenner and you never hear anyone complaining about that do you?

The PS2 is a "next gen" console, as was the PSx, and so you should be prepared to pay a decent price for games. When you can get them here for over £10 cheaper than a high street shop why don't you.

Some people don't have access to the net, well there are cybercafe's and friends etc etc.....it's not difficult to get on here so people should make the effort, unless they've been living in a cave for the last 3 years, internet sales have gone up massively and I know the nets been around for ages.

>

I've gotta go now but will be back on tonight!

Speak to you later.
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:35
Regular
"Whatever!"
Most games are definately worth £45 - GTA3, GT3, etc.. - However I havent once paid over £40 for a PS2 game!!
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:37
"penguins in hawaii?"
I think the prices are ridiculous! It only costs about 3p or something to make a game, but at the end of the day, they have to make a profit, but it would be nice to lower the price! :(
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:15
Regular
"Back For Good"
SR rarely charge £45 for a game, I used to shop at EB because you could sometimes pick up an odd bargin here and there but prices are far better here which is why I have a year's membership :-)

Stuff EB!!!!
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:39
I think that the price of a game should depend upon the amount of entertainment that you're going to derive from it.

Consider this : a ticket to the cinema costs about £5. That's the equivalent of, say, £2.50 per hour. If I buy a copy of GTA3 for £33, then I only have to play on it for about 14 hours before it's better value than the cinema. I'm sure that I'm going to manage twice that without too much trouble.

Also bear in mind the amount of work going into the games. Saviour of Sheep stated that it costs about 3p to press a disk. This is probably true, but you've also got to pay a production team's wages for (in some cases) 2-3 years whilst the game is in development. Not that I'm saying the cost should be proportional to the development time ('cos there's some absolute junk out there that's taken years to develop), but I'm just making another point. I'm a programmer - give me a break!

One thing that I don't understand is why PC games seem to be about £10-15 cheaper than their PS2 counterparts. Surely once the basic design's done, the coding for each system should be relatively straightforward. I think that this is the area where the games companies come in and try to milk the currently popular market for all it's worth.

I'd love to see games drop in price, and I think that an average price tag of £25-30 is reasonable. Having said that, for a game like GTA3 that's likely to keep me up at night for months, I'd be happy to pay £40.

It's a personal choice - if you're not happy paying the asking price, search around and find a cheaper vendor, or wait until the game eventually comes out on a budget label or ends up in a bargain bin!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.