GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What do you think of the Shenmue games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shenmue 2'.
Sun 29/12/02 at 13:43
Regular
So Yo Suzuki's classic isn't accepted by all as a great game, some even think it is rubbish, but what do you think of the Shenmue games? Personally I believe they are the greatest games ever created and with all things considered I have yet to see above a handful of games that can match the quality of Shenmue 1+2 in any of the departments. From the story to the graphics to the ambient sounds as you walk through the towns, Shenmue is a game that I will always remember.

Anything positive, anything negative please share your views on the Shenmue games and see if we can make some suggestions to the gameplay which will play a feature part in the up and coming Shenmue games. Where do you rate them on the scale of greatest game of all time? Anything you have to say about them please put it in here so that I can compile the data and try to understand where the 3rd Shenmue will take us!
Mon 30/12/02 at 16:02
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Nomad Soul wrote:
> A graphical masterpiece with a great storyline which genuinely has
> touching and haunting moments.
>
> Like most people, my only criticism is that it's too linear. There
> aren't enough genuine side-plots that take you away from the main
> story.
>
> Whether it's a great "game" in a traditional sense I'm not
> too sure, but as an experience, as a storybook brought to life, it's
> superb.
>
> Overall: magical.

--Certainly is a graphicaly masterpiece and can easily hold its own against the PS2.

Shenmue is linear as u literally do have set tasks, however the fact that you can roam anywhere and see and go where you want kinda detracts from the linearity. So in a way Sega have been lucky to cover themselves... however in Shenmue 3, I would like to see more in depth use of this 'freedom', as Nomad mentioned, side plots would be a good way of doing this, however, I can imagine many people thinking that side plots would take away from the main story and try and make Ryos 'quest' and 'revenge' for his fathers death seem less improtant. I read many Shenmue 2 reviews on the net, who criticised Shenmue 2's attempts to make Ryo find his own work! This is because some of the jobs and tasks in Shenmue 2 dont relate to the storyline at all. In a way this is true, but I disagree, I think that side quests are a nice thing to do, Shenmue is not jsut trying to produce an amazing absorbing storyline, but it is also trying to emulate LIFE! I understand what critics say, but side quests, in my view dont make Ryos revenge seem any less important.

Only one thing to say now....... bring on Shenmue 3!!!!

p.s. Most Shenmue fans will think i am mad for saying this but... I hope Shenmue 3 is the last Shenmue game, I hope the saga will be finished in Shenmue 3..... Why? Not because I dont want sequels, cos I certainly do, but because I dont want to go through the continuous pain of wondering whether Shenmue 3, 4 or 5 will ever be released. It would be my worse nightmare if us shenmue fans would never get to play to the end of the story. So for the sake of the series, I hope the rest of the chapters will be included in Shenmue 3. It was bad enough wondering whether Shenmue 2x was going to be released, let alone Shenmue 3 or 4 etc.

Thanx.
Mon 30/12/02 at 09:24
Regular
A graphical masterpiece with a great storyline which genuinely has touching and haunting moments.

Like most people, my only criticism is that it's too linear. There aren't enough genuine side-plots that take you away from the main story.

Whether it's a great "game" in a traditional sense I'm not too sure, but as an experience, as a storybook brought to life, it's superb.

Overall: magical.
Sun 29/12/02 at 19:05
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I'm going by the first game here but I didn't like it much, I don't know if it was the enourmous hype it got but I found it way too linear and more of a go here speak to him then go here and speak to her affair, I found it included this a lot too much and the short actual fighting sequences few and far between. Otherwise it was good.
Sun 29/12/02 at 18:23
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Nameless :( wrote:
> Yea, the Shenmue series are my most favoured games EVER. They are
> just so relaxing to sit down and play, and the graphics are
> fantastic.
>
> Although I admit they are linear (before Sonic says that, he always
> does) :D
>
> But the story is good and it feels as if it is REAL!
>
> Im looking forward to Shenmue 3 on the X-Box to see how the story
> unfolds.

I agree that its linear. But theres so many characters and twisted plots that it doesnt feel like it. Also the game doesnt force you to follow the story, you can just walk around, earn money, gamble, play on the arcades. Thats one of the things that seperated Shenmue from other RPG's. And with that it was classed under a new genre.
Sun 29/12/02 at 17:04
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Yea, the Shenmue series are my most favoured games EVER. They are just so relaxing to sit down and play, and the graphics are fantastic.

Although I admit they are linear (before Sonic says that, he always does) :D

But the story is good and it feels as if it is REAL!

Im looking forward to Shenmue 3 on the X-Box to see how the story unfolds.
Sun 29/12/02 at 15:44
Regular
"All about the Beats"
I followed Shenmue in the magazines(pre release), I even played on it in American before it was released.

But its only been the past few months ive been on and completed Shenmue II

I think its a master piece.

Graphics alone match anything of todays standards.

The story is huge, and i never got bored of it.

Im just trying to get hold of the orginal Shenmue.

Overall its a masterpiece. I normally hate RPG's, i thought Shenmue was a RPG, but its totally different! It is real life! LOL

Highly Recommended.
Sun 29/12/02 at 13:43
Regular
So Yo Suzuki's classic isn't accepted by all as a great game, some even think it is rubbish, but what do you think of the Shenmue games? Personally I believe they are the greatest games ever created and with all things considered I have yet to see above a handful of games that can match the quality of Shenmue 1+2 in any of the departments. From the story to the graphics to the ambient sounds as you walk through the towns, Shenmue is a game that I will always remember.

Anything positive, anything negative please share your views on the Shenmue games and see if we can make some suggestions to the gameplay which will play a feature part in the up and coming Shenmue games. Where do you rate them on the scale of greatest game of all time? Anything you have to say about them please put it in here so that I can compile the data and try to understand where the 3rd Shenmue will take us!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.