GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What do you think of the Shenmue games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shenmue 2'.
Sun 29/12/02 at 13:43
Regular
So Yo Suzuki's classic isn't accepted by all as a great game, some even think it is rubbish, but what do you think of the Shenmue games? Personally I believe they are the greatest games ever created and with all things considered I have yet to see above a handful of games that can match the quality of Shenmue 1+2 in any of the departments. From the story to the graphics to the ambient sounds as you walk through the towns, Shenmue is a game that I will always remember.

Anything positive, anything negative please share your views on the Shenmue games and see if we can make some suggestions to the gameplay which will play a feature part in the up and coming Shenmue games. Where do you rate them on the scale of greatest game of all time? Anything you have to say about them please put it in here so that I can compile the data and try to understand where the 3rd Shenmue will take us!
Sun 16/02/03 at 16:21
Regular
"Don't hate me for i"
I think that the games are TOO realistic. Having to go to work every day and doing all sorts of normal things annoyed me. I mean, dont you play games to get away from reality? The freedom to move around and go anywhere is appealing, but it isnt enough to make me enjoy the game.
Sat 15/02/03 at 21:52
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Solskjær wrote:
> What's a CGI Movie??

CGI is like animated, just like the Final Fantasy Movie
Wed 12/02/03 at 15:46
Regular
"DS..."
heh, guess what, i just bought not only Shenmue 2 in Mint Condition but also the Original in good condition for the total sum of..... wait for it........ scroll down...

£10

yes thats £10 for the both of them, i'm as shocked as you probably are, ive been looking for a copy of Shenmue 2 as its becoming so rare and is a shining example of how a sequel should be done, Properly, and now i am the proud owner of it :D not to mention the orignal which i allready own but i jus picked it up jus cos my disc 3 on the orginal pays up occasionaly and its usefull to have a spare,

but ohhh what a bargain :D

slik ~_~
Tue 11/02/03 at 21:37
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Solskjær wrote:
> I can't see the series lasting any-longer than 5 installments
> though.
> With all that he has in his possesion at the end of Shenmue II, it
> doesn't seem like Ryo has more than one-more-game to go, if not two.

Dont forget the spin offs! Wong pickpocket, Wong Fighting and Ryo and Joy dating?

;P
Tue 11/02/03 at 13:57
Regular
"Long time no see!"
What's a CGI Movie??

The only rumour I've heard regarding a future Shenmue Movie is that Shenmue II will be turned into a movie, just like how Shenmue became `Shenmue: The Movie`.

I'm sure the 3rd insallment will come out in game-form first, there's no way Yu Suzuki would deny us that when we've already played so much in that way.

I can't see the series lasting any-longer than 5 installments though.
With all that he has in his possesion at the end of Shenmue II, it doesn't seem like Ryo has more than one-more-game to go, if not two.
Fri 07/02/03 at 22:10
Regular
If Shenmue 3 is made into a CGI movie it will be a tradgic moment for gamers and for those who have played through Shenmue and Shenmue 2. If Shenmue 3 had a set released date I would put it straight to the top of my anticipation list. Even though I have played through Snemue 2 twice I will purchase Shenmue 2X for the Xbox just to experience the game in Dolby Digital and to play with the little extras which are going to be added to the game.

It is a real shame that Shenmue 3 may never hit the shelves especially with the potential of the Xbox Hard Drive and Xbox Live capabilities. The rumours about the game just being a CGI movie are currently only rumours, maybe they are waiting for the release of the Xbox 2 and in the mean time they will promote Shenmue 2X and release movie shots of Shenmue 3?!

Shenmue 2 is the greatest game I have ever played and Shenmue 1 isn't far behind. I can appreciate the fact that the game isn't for everyone but what I do disagree with is people calling it 'pure rubbish' or words to that effect. People did find it boring to play but then again AM2 never said that you will have to hold onto your hats on anything like that. Both Shenmue and Shenmue 2 take a while to get into, however once you have progressed through the early stages the game turns into an adventure like no other.

I wish that there was something I could do to change the minds of the developing team but I can only see one option. There were rumours flying around about how the sales of Shenmue 2X will effect the decision on whether or not Shenmue 3 will be released. I am going to pre order my copy in a couple of weeks as I want to do what ever I can to get Shenmue 3 released for the Xbox. Personally I can't see how they can talk about sales of the first 2 games when they haven't given the series an outing on a console which is selling well. The live of the Dreamcast was short lived and this effected sales of nearly every game, apparently there were only 100,000 copies of Skies of Arcadia sold world wide yet it is one of the greatest games ever released.

I believe that if Shenmue 2X is a success then the developers will go ahead and start on Shenmue 3 (unless they already have). If you own an Xbox then please purchase this game, not only will you be taking part in video game history but you will be supporting the bid for Shenmue 3! Until then I will wait with baited breath.
Fri 07/02/03 at 19:57
I love them both, but there's something about Shenmue II... I liked the way you could lock on to anything in Shenmue I, Shenmue II drives the story more which makes it feel even more linear, but that aside. Graphically superb, the level of detail is unprecedented the enviroments are amazingly rendered in real time. The fighting although not perfect, is excellent. I preferred some of the music in Shenmue I. Man! I hear Shenmue III is being made into a CGI movie because of poor sales of Shenmue II overseas! Pants!

Some people can't get into Shenmue... Fair enough. It's ambitious to say the least and the execution of it technically and otherwise restores my faith in gaming. I wouldn't like all games to be made like it, but Shenmue has it's place and no other game is like it. Cinematic, but not intrusively (like MGS2) as the cut scenes are brilliantly integrated seemlessly and, really it's to be expected, events and plots are well concieved and believable, not cheesy and stuff. Top stuff to AM2 and the gang. I rate them, I respect them!

"That is your problem. Then I cannot oblige"
Thu 02/01/03 at 18:52
Regular
"All about the Beats"
gerrid wrote:
> Two of the best Games I have ever played. And I've played a lot of
> games. It's a love hate thing with this game though, as you either
> love it or hate it, but everyone should try it. Like Marmite.

I love that too.
Thu 02/01/03 at 18:29
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Two of the best Games I have ever played. And I've played a lot of games. It's a love hate thing with this game though, as you either love it or hate it, but everyone should try it. Like Marmite.
Tue 31/12/02 at 12:57
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think the 2 games are worth buying a Dreamcast for!
That's my best way of describing the series so-far.

It was mainly the storyline and the way the actually "become" Ryo Hazuki that really grabbed me. I suppose it is quite linear when you think about it, but I never noticed that once I got into the game - especially in Shenmue II with all those `Street Fights` and the Arcade games.

I'm really looking forward to the third installment - even if it is the last, and if I do have to buy an X-Box just to play it.

An RPG series like no-other!
A gaming experience like nothing you've ever felt before!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.