GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"er-no in America."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/02/02 at 22:43
Regular
Hi, this is more a 'advice please?' topic.

I am looking at my future...

*waits for laughter to stop*

... ok. My ambition is to be a director/producer. However, recently I have read that to have a better chance of fulfilling my dream would be to go to America to University once I have finished my A Levels in this country. Which would involve me applying for a place within the next couple of weeks to make sure I have that guarentee.

I am in contact with the University of Los Angeles, I have done my homework and its either LA or Texas for the course of 'Film Production'. I know I have the abilities, sadly the fact is (without my head popping) I know more about digital editing and cameras then any of my VCE Media (Double Award) tutors at my college. Sad that.

At the moment I am producing a film trailer as part of the coursework, I will send this out to people over in the US to have a look at my work. However, this one huge question hangs over me.

It is a huge life changing decision. What would you do in my situation? Please?

Thank you
er-no

Should I go or should I stay. Either way, I will try my best.
Tue 05/02/02 at 10:01
Regular
"everyone says it"
Leftback wrote:
> you might have to take some of their entry exams and stuff if you apply like
> that girl laura spence did

Apparently I have to take SAT's. Although I will try my hardest not to, I want to study Film Production so I don't think it will be 100% me taking SAT's, I will use my A level grades... and try for a scholarship thingymejig.
Tue 05/02/02 at 10:35
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Take the chance and go. It's better to regret something that you did rather than regret something you diddn't do.
Tue 05/02/02 at 10:43
If I were in your shoes, I would go to America. I met a woman the other day at work who moved to America 13 years ago, and all she owned she took with her in two suitcases. Now she's living the high-life, earning loadsa money and has two houses, acres & acres of land and a boat.

If you dont go, you will never know what might have been, but if you dont like it out there, you always have the option of coming back home.
Tue 05/02/02 at 10:47
Regular
"not dead"
Home-sickness can be a problem. If you can make friends easily it will help.

If the fees aren't a problem, or yuo can get a scholarship, what's the harm in giving it a go?

Plus you'll get all the games first!

Don't you forget about us though. ;-)
Tue 05/02/02 at 11:01
"slightlyshortertagl"
Go to america er-no and enjoy it..
before you 'enrol' yourself go there for a few months (gap year?) and see how life is.. if you enjoy it come back here get your qualifications say your good byes and off you go...

P.s. my advice probably isnt too good as i still have another 5 years before i get to your stage :)
P.s.s. If you go DONT FORGET US!!!!
Tue 05/02/02 at 11:06
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
If you do go, let me know as you coudl become my new american consoles and games suplier, ;-)
wrote:
> It is a life changing decision... but by the sounds of things you want a change in life.... so question is answered !!

Go for it... if you don't like it (as if) then you can come home and do something else.

Follow your gut instinct.
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
That is a really big move, and like Meka said you can get home sick. While i was on holiday in Florida i got home sick, and i was only there for 3 weeks, a lot less time than you will be there for. And it can get so hot, sometimes it makes you go mad (really).

Good Luck in what you decide though.
Tue 05/02/02 at 11:08
Regular
"WWJD"
if you've got the money then id go for it, it will be great. When im older anough to go to Uni i want to go down to London and go into a University down there do a Music course. Hopefully ill have a band together or make a band down there.

Just go for it, if you think you can make it then try
Tue 05/02/02 at 17:13
Regular
"everyone says it"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Home-sickness can be a problem. If you can make friends easily it will
> help.

Yeah, I can hopefully make friends quickily, I haven't had trouble in the past. I know home-sickness probably won't be a problem at all, just really want to get out of here. I will miss some family though :(

If the fees aren't a problem, or yuo can get a scholarship, what's the
> harm in giving it a go?

Saving up now for my future, giving it plenty of time, and going for a scholarship.

Plus you'll get all the games first!

Don't you
> forget about us though. ;-)

I won't forget about you, Mana is calling :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.