GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"er-no in America."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/02/02 at 22:43
Regular
Hi, this is more a 'advice please?' topic.

I am looking at my future...

*waits for laughter to stop*

... ok. My ambition is to be a director/producer. However, recently I have read that to have a better chance of fulfilling my dream would be to go to America to University once I have finished my A Levels in this country. Which would involve me applying for a place within the next couple of weeks to make sure I have that guarentee.

I am in contact with the University of Los Angeles, I have done my homework and its either LA or Texas for the course of 'Film Production'. I know I have the abilities, sadly the fact is (without my head popping) I know more about digital editing and cameras then any of my VCE Media (Double Award) tutors at my college. Sad that.

At the moment I am producing a film trailer as part of the coursework, I will send this out to people over in the US to have a look at my work. However, this one huge question hangs over me.

It is a huge life changing decision. What would you do in my situation? Please?

Thank you
er-no

Should I go or should I stay. Either way, I will try my best.
Mon 04/02/02 at 22:43
Regular
"everyone says it"
Hi, this is more a 'advice please?' topic.

I am looking at my future...

*waits for laughter to stop*

... ok. My ambition is to be a director/producer. However, recently I have read that to have a better chance of fulfilling my dream would be to go to America to University once I have finished my A Levels in this country. Which would involve me applying for a place within the next couple of weeks to make sure I have that guarentee.

I am in contact with the University of Los Angeles, I have done my homework and its either LA or Texas for the course of 'Film Production'. I know I have the abilities, sadly the fact is (without my head popping) I know more about digital editing and cameras then any of my VCE Media (Double Award) tutors at my college. Sad that.

At the moment I am producing a film trailer as part of the coursework, I will send this out to people over in the US to have a look at my work. However, this one huge question hangs over me.

It is a huge life changing decision. What would you do in my situation? Please?

Thank you
er-no

Should I go or should I stay. Either way, I will try my best.
Mon 04/02/02 at 22:46
i personally would not risk going to america, but if you make it to the big time don't forget you little buddies at the sr forum (maybe even give us background parts in films).
Mon 04/02/02 at 22:52
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
If I had the chance to go to America I would take it.
Mon 04/02/02 at 22:52
Regular
That is a BIG question you are asking us, and I think only you yourself can answer it. I wouldn't like to say.... surely there are "opportunities" for wannabe film makers/directors/productions in this country?
Mon 04/02/02 at 22:57
i have to say apart from joke, it is a pretty hard job to get especially in america where so many other people may be trying to get, plus to be director don't you need big financial backing or contacts. i would say go after a more stable job. but then again its up to you.
Mon 04/02/02 at 22:59
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
New York film school is the best film school. It regularly produces exceptional directors: Scorsese, and recently Aronofsky and Karyn Kusama (directed Girlfight). It also has strong links with the nearby acting school, which has bred famous actors like Harvey Keitel, who was buddies with Scorsese.

I'm hopefully going to study law at Cambridge but I'm seriously contemplating film school after that because I would much rather do that than anything law-based.

And just remember it's never too late to move into film. I was listening to Aronofsky commentary on a DVD and he said that his passage into film had been at College (in US therefore the equivalent of Uni) where his room mate had been doing animation. He wasn't doing anything to do with film but went to NY film school after graduating and made two classic films.

Go for it!
Mon 04/02/02 at 23:02
Regular
"That's right!"
When I finish my A levels, if I pass them I'm going to college to do Art Foundation and to resit GCSE Maths

With all this I can do Media Production at University

Then I will be looking for something similar to what you're after Er-no
Mon 04/02/02 at 23:18
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
Go to L.A, compared to texas its just sooo much better, America is a great place, and may well bring more opportunities than in the uk. That said have you checked the uk uni's and films places? no need to change countries unless u really need to.
Mon 04/02/02 at 23:23
well er-no make sure you get a good job, a gun and a license for it also a couple of clips and maybe shotgun bullets....

the list goes on
Mon 04/02/02 at 23:28
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I wanted to go to an american university, but could not afford the fees.
But I'm here anyway now on a 1 year exchange scheme which doesn't count towards my final degree at home (like 1 big holiday with some inconvient physics classes in it)
If its something you really want to do then go for it

I've had loads of cool experiences and some weird ones out here, I wish I could stay longer

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.