GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why PS2 wipes the floor with X-Box"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/02/02 at 10:54
Regular
I was browsing the net when i found a link to some screenshots of X-box's project Gotham. I wanted to see them as i heared this game had the best graphics on x-box so far but when i saw them i laughd tottally. I was really dissapointed with this game. It looks like bloody PORSCHE CHALLENGE FOR GODDSAKES......well...a bit better but its not exactly GT3. So if anyone says X-Box is a better console cz the games can run faster with better graphics then just look at these screens......oh and before he abuse......this isn't as such a jibe at x-box but just a those folks who reckons the graphics are miles better....wke up folks.

http://pub49.ezboard.com/ fjeepnrocksonlinecommunityfrm6. showMessage?topicID=32. topic

Take out he spaces first :P (after each slash andfullstops)
Sun 03/02/02 at 18:18
Regular
"Why PS2 wipes the floor with X-Box"

Ok, I'll now try and explain to you why this can't physically happen. I'll do it in easy read bullet points. Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin.

1. The X-Box is not a mop. Or a broom. Or any other floor cleaning utility.

2. As if no. 1 wasn't enough, the PS2 doesn't have any arms. Or legs. Or hands, with which to hold the un-broomlike X-Box.

3. The X-Box is big. Bigger than most buckets. So if you wanted ignore points 1 and 2, you *still* couldn't get it right, as you'd never be able to dip the X-Box mid-clean, as it were.

4. The PS2 is a G A M E S C O N S O L E, it should never, EVER be in a kitchen. Let alone doing the cleaning. Leave that to the women.
Sun 03/02/02 at 22:10
"High polygon count"
As you may recall, I posted here several weeks ago saying that Wreckless was the first game to make me want an Xbox.

Earlier today, my mate Mark came round, and was saying that he'd been reading about the Xbox and was thinking of getting one, but couldn't decide between it and PS2. He's already had 2 PS2's, but had to sell them for financial reasons.

Anyway, we went looking on the net for pictures and reviews of Xbox titles.

I was looking at screenshots of Wreckless on another site, and was actually left a little deflated. The shots on this other site were about 4 times the size of the ones SR featured in their Upwire announcement of the game all those weeks ago, and so I could pick out much more detail.

It seems that most of the processing power for Wreckless is devoted to light sources and lens-flares. The player's vehicles are highly detailed, and the cityscapes are also quite intricate. But on some of the screenshots the other (non-player) cars looked pretty dodgy.

Some of them were very boxy, and obviously have a much lower polygon count - so much so that the player car and other cars actually look like they're from different games.

But the one thing that really leapt out of the monitor at me was the shadows. In every screenshot (all of which seem to be from a 'mission' replay) *only* the players vehicle has a shadow! None of the other cars, nor any of the other objects in the game environment (street lamps, pedestrians etc.) cast any shadows!

In one screenshot, depth-perception looked odd - the player car (complete with shadow) was being pursued by two others vehicles - but because they cast no shadows, it gives the illusion that the two following cars are actually floating a couple of feet off the ground.

I know that the game has not yet been released, and these issues may well still be addressed - but given the detail elsewhere in the game, and the fact that the shadow code is obviously in place, it seems odd that there are no other shadows.

Granted, it is only a minor issue - but once you notice it, it really is glaringly obvious. I have to say that I'm not as impressed by the game as I was originally, and my potential Xbox purchase is once again on hold.
Sun 03/02/02 at 22:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Or†ega wrote:
> Sounds all good in theory, but when are you gonna have 4 TV's next to each
> other?! NOt really ever got the full usse of that in your home, but could be
> good for yournaments , and its always a good quote for the "my consoles
> better than yours" arguments :)

In America there has been alot of LAN parties. People meet up with each other over the net, and arrange meetings for 16 players.

I have 2 tvs up stairs which are a 28" and a 21". My mate is getting an X-box aswell. So on the launch weekend he is coming over to have a link up on Halo. He only needs to bring his console round. Then we have 2 controllers each, so we will have a 4 player. Then my other friends dad is getting a X-Box with Halo. So if my other mate was allowed to bring his dads console over, we could have a 6 player Halo game, using the TV downstairs. So we could possiable have a 12 player Halo game pretty easily.
Sun 03/02/02 at 22:22
Regular
Cool. Have fun! :)

Only got the one big TV in my House...

And Wookiee...You wernt really basing your X-box purchase on one game now were you?
Sun 03/02/02 at 22:55
"High polygon count"
Or†ega wrote:
> And Wookiee...You wernt really basing your X-box
> purchase on one game now were you?

I had to, as it was the only game I've seen so far that made me actually *want* an Xbox.
Mon 04/02/02 at 16:56
Regular
"  "
Oh dear.....i haven't caused another console war that makes everone hate me again....have I!?

Oh and Your Honour, even though ur post was kinda mick taking out of me....i can actually admit thats one of the funniest things i read in this forum. As for Wookie.....heh.....maybe you could by an X-Box to flatten ur trousers with?
Mon 04/02/02 at 18:05
Regular
"lets go back"
Project Gothem may end up having good graphics but if the gameplay is the same as MSR then it will be rubbish. I personally can't stand MSR. I dont own it but have played it regularly at a friends house. It isnt as good as the Gran Turismo series.
Mon 04/02/02 at 18:48
Regular
Natbuc wrote:
Oh and Your Honour, even though ur post was kinda mick taking out of me....i can actually admit thats one of the funniest things i read in this forum.

Thanks. I was only joking when I wrote and didn't mean any offence, just having a laugh.

Glad you enjoyed it :-)
Mon 04/02/02 at 18:50
Regular
Geffdof wrote:
I personally can't stand MSR. I dont own it but have played it regularly at a friends house. It isnt as good as the Gran Turismo series.

I respect your opinion, but I was wondering something.

*Why* do you not like M:SR? What's wrong with it? Why do you prefer the GT series?

I'm not slating your opinion or anything, I'm genuinely interested.

I'm the other way around, I prefer M:SR to the GT series. I own both a DC with M:SR and a PS2 with GT3. I like them both, but prefer M:SR as I find it more fun. GT3 is more of a simulation.

But maybe that's why prefer GT, becuase it *is* more realistic?
Mon 04/02/02 at 19:14
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I prefer MSR too. I remember when I hadn't played it in ages, I'd come back to it, take the first corner of a track and think how damn amazing the handling was. I don't get that with GT3. Even though GT3 is still a brilliant game, it just doesn't have the style that MSR has. Plus the kudos thing was brilliant. :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.