GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another reason why Gamecube isn't doing that well in the UK...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/01/03 at 17:55
Regular
This retarded piece of writing is taken from the Times newspapers, reivew of what's to come in 2003 for gaming.

"Nintendo is still something of an unknown quantity. It will certainly be pushing for more Gamecube sales in 2003, but will adopt a typically low key approach to promotion. Gamecube is aimed at children and Nintendo will not worry about trying to improve its popularity with older gamers. Some industry rumours suggested that if Nintendo's Gamecube failed it would simply make games alone - but that is to underestimate this player. This is Nintendo afetr all the folk who still have the handheld market to themselves and couldn't bank profits fast enough for 2 years as Pokemon ruled the world.

Gamecube titles to look out for include Disneys Sports Football, Super Bust-a-move 3000 and Dragons Lair 3D"

Complete and utter retards, either they're being payed by Sony to say all this bullshi-t or they really know nothing.

I feel like writing in and tearing them apart for being such complete nonces. The list of 'games to look out for' says it all really.

Complete morons.
Sun 05/01/03 at 20:58
Regular
Some good points Alistair, and I agree with you whole-heartedly. I would, however, be good to see the X-Box and GameCube getting their own share of free roaming crime 'em ups. Come to think of it, with the freedom of the original, Deus Ex 2 might just fall into that genre and boost X-Box sales.

One more thing - is Mafia just being ported to PS2 and X-Box? I remember someone (possibly Tiltawhirl) saying it was due for release on GameCube.
Sun 05/01/03 at 20:43
Regular
Oh I agree but it is a step in the right direction with True Crimes in my opinion. If you had to pick out one element of gaming that dominated the late 1990's I would have to say Crime-Em up's and with this the PS2 conquered all with sales. Whether or not True Crimes is going to be any good is a different matter because 9/10 multi-format games aren't worth looking at. Its the same with Mafia coming to the PS2 and Xbox as it is a step in the right direction for Microsoft. I am looking forward to Driver 3 as well, I have the first 2 PSONE games in my collection and I was a very big fan of them. With games like Driver 3, Mafia and True Crimes hitting the console platform on more than just the PS2 it looks like developers are looking at the impact GTA 3 had on the PS2 and trying to emulate this onto other consoles.

As of yet the PS2 is the only console that has a Crime-Em up on it and looking at sales figures you can tell when the first was released and the release of every game in the genre after that. I believe The Getaway sold 400,000 copies in its first Week end on sale and a number of these will have been purchased along with a PS2. With a game that isn't that good creating those sales figures imagine what a game on another platform that promised to equal/better GTA 3/Vice City could do! If I was going to develop a game I know what genre I would do and I know that I would release it as a multi-platform. I think True Crimes is going to making a killing (sorry no pun intended) when it is released on the Xbox and GameCube purely because there is nothing to compete with it on those consoles and that people want a taste of the GTA series. I just hope that the game is good for all concerned...
Sun 05/01/03 at 20:22
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> In Japan the GameCube almost out sells the Xbox 3-1!

Oh it's way more than that. The X-Box sells around 2000-5000 units every week in Japan, while the GameCube is sailing high with 50,000-60,000. Of course, the PS2 is still dominating (those are the figures before the 'Christmas Rush')

> However in America and the UK the Xbox out sells the GameCube 2-1 and
> this is the market that Nintendo are going to look at and see what they
> can do to make it better.

In fact, after reading my latest copy of NGC (Issue 76, Editors Letter) I found that the GameCube has now regained it's lead over the X-Box in the US, and is now sitting in a comfortable second place behind the PS2.

However, you are correct with the UK sales - the figures are something like 2-1, and what Nintendo will be looking into next. Even with sales from the whole of Europe, the GameCube is still behind (but only by a few thousand units).

> It is going to be interesting this year to see what the Xbox and
> GameCube do to try and get their sales figures closer to the PS2. If
> they released GTA 3 then I can guarentee that sales would rise 100%
> because its the only weapon Sony have against other consoles. Crime-Em
> Ups are huge with Gamers between 12-16 and this is where Sony have
> used titles like The Getaway and GTA3 to good effect! However True:
> Crimes Streets of LA could alter this depeneding on how good it will
> be. Expect big changes this year in the market especially as Sony's
> on-line plans aren't going to plan.

Unfortunately, True Crime: Streets Of LA is out on PS2, as well as X-Box and GameCube (as is Driver 3). However, it is good to see that Nintendo and Microsoft are doing something to capitalise on this successful genre.
Sun 05/01/03 at 20:05
Regular
In Japan the GameCube almost out sells the Xbox 3-1! However in America and the UK the Xbox out sells the GameCube 2-1 and this is the market that Nintendo are going to look at and see what they can do to make it better. I was reading a report the other day Pro Evolution Soccer 2 is going to be the GameCube's plan for targetting European gamers along with Metorid Prime. However in America Zelda: The Wind Waker and the Resident Evil's are going to be marketed to improve sales.

It is going to be interesting this year to see what the Xbox and GameCube do to try and get their sales figures closer to the PS2. If they released GTA 3 then I can guarentee that sales would rise 100% because its the only weapon Sony have against other consoles. Crime-Em Ups are huge with Gamers between 12-16 and this is where Sony have used titles like The Getaway and GTA3 to good effect! However True: Crimes Streets of LA could alter this depeneding on how good it will be. Expect big changes this year in the market especially as Sony's on-line plans aren't going to plan.
Sun 05/01/03 at 18:27
"+ suspicious minds"
I don't really think we need to worry. as annoying as it is, the gamecube easily beating micro soft. they are selling the same figures more or less here and in america, and they are laying the metaphorcal smackdown on the X-box in japan. so I don't think the GC is in serious trouble yet, but This is infuriating.
Sun 05/01/03 at 16:59
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You give them advice on buying crappy games to make them look big and clever? Like Resident Evil?
Sun 05/01/03 at 16:58
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Do twelve year old's approach you often, Tiltawhirl?

Yes, it's been happening ever since I advertised my services in the local paper.
Sun 05/01/03 at 16:56
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Do twelve year old's approach you often, Tiltawhirl?
Sun 05/01/03 at 16:55
Regular
At the end of the day I don't play games to prove how mature I am, I play them because I enjoy them. So if I enjoy a cartoon styled game then i'll play it. Playing games with guns does not show how much of a man you are.

I enjoy all sorts of games, what I really hate is when I have a 12 year old come up to me and tell me the games I play are immature.

Big tards.
Sun 05/01/03 at 16:50
Regular
Blinx: Timesweeper is very good on the Xbox and that is what some would call a 'Kiddy' game. I am actually looking forward to getting Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario: Sunshine :) Its a nice change away from action games even though they are my favourite style of game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.