GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HA! Laughing at Xbox Live!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/01/03 at 18:07
Regular
Ok Ok. I am a Ninty and this is a very large piece of fan boyism!

But I just have to do this!

I am laughing so much at you becuase you have to pay every 12 months for your X-Box live subscription! :P

I will only have to pay my existing Broadband connection (well my parents) and I will get 600k Gamecube internet speed!

So HA!

*please do not be mad - you can try to prove me wrong if you want but due to my Nintyness I am always biased anyway :P*
Thu 09/01/03 at 13:03
Regular
It's only *well worth* the subscription if you have plenty of cash to splash. Can you imagine the majority of gamers out there spending lost of subscription to online games? I can't that's for sure. Most people want a cheap one stop box where you put the disc in the front (or the top), and thats the end of it. Let us not forget, most of the UK can't even get broadband anyway - this will limit the return people like MS, Sony, and Ninty get out of it (at least in the UK market anyway). USA has lots of cable with DSL broadband on the back of it. UK cable network is tiny and covers only a few area's. And some of these don't support DSL. That means ADSL (broadband via a phone line) for most of us. But again, large areas can't get this. How can it be a winner, if
a) Most people can't get the signal.
b) Lots of people will find it too expensive even if they can get the signal.
Thu 09/01/03 at 12:42
Regular
The Xbox Live will be the cheapest service. There is no possible way ninty can afford to give a free service to it's games. The cost of maintenence etc is far more than any company can afford to give people for free. Anyway, the stuff you get free on Xbox live is well worth the cost of subscription fee.
Thu 09/01/03 at 12:15
I'm just laughing at Sony's online plans
To be honest I think Microsoft have done a good job with Xbox Live.
Thu 09/01/03 at 10:48
Regular
Why state the bleedin obvious? I said all along, this was going to cost you big time. A yearly subscription to XBox Live, tough, it's MS, if you want it - you go to pay for it. I also said that some kind of individual online costs to individual games/specific content was likely. Again, you have to pay up, or shut up.

But that's not all. In America, I think MS require you to make payments using a Credit card. And don't forget, these payments are in addition to your Broadband connection fee and games you buy on disc.

And at least in the USA, the XBox has no email or Web browser functions. It's only for game's. This is poor. I mean the XBox is fast enough, it's got the hardware (hard disc, etc), so why leave out these *simple* functions?

Nintendo and Sony will also be expensive. The price structure might be a bit different, but there won't be much difference in costs at the end of the day. Sony do make a combo 56k modem/broadband/hard disc adaptor - but the UK version will just be Broadband+hard disc. So that's me out then, since I can't get broadband. I don't for sure, but don't expect the Sony or Nintendo systems to offer email or web browser.

If people just "put up with it" at the start, then we the public will be stuck with these high prices for ever. Just think back to what SKY tv used to cost compared with now - same thing.
Wed 08/01/03 at 19:14
Regular
"^_^"
Yeah, I notivced that some games will ask for subscriptions as well. But hopelfully not the good ones. lets wait for some proper UK infomation
Wed 08/01/03 at 19:05
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
As for the price thing, you can bet at least some games will charge monthly to go online.
Wed 08/01/03 at 18:35
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OUfs sdjfhds jkhdsf jhjksdf

Yes...
Wed 08/01/03 at 18:34
"Uzi Lover"
Modewm users will cause lag yo.
Wed 08/01/03 at 18:33
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
cookie monster wrote:
> Quite simply.
>
> They dont.
>
> I havent come across an online game yet that only allows dial-up to go
> against dial-ups. What they do usually do is to try and match the
> speed for both players, so that the broadband players dont have as big
> an advantage.

That's only on Red Alert 2!

On a FPS if I was forced to have a 150 ping like most modems I wouldn't play!

They just introduce limits, so you can only access one game if you have a low ping...
Wed 08/01/03 at 18:30
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Quite simply.

They dont.

I havent come across an online game yet that only allows dial-up to go against dial-ups. What they do usually do is to try and match the speed for both players, so that the broadband players dont have as big an advantage.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.