GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HA! Laughing at Xbox Live!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/01/03 at 18:07
Regular
Ok Ok. I am a Ninty and this is a very large piece of fan boyism!

But I just have to do this!

I am laughing so much at you becuase you have to pay every 12 months for your X-Box live subscription! :P

I will only have to pay my existing Broadband connection (well my parents) and I will get 600k Gamecube internet speed!

So HA!

*please do not be mad - you can try to prove me wrong if you want but due to my Nintyness I am always biased anyway :P*
Fri 10/01/03 at 19:06
Regular
That is a fair point, yes, MS can not be blamed for the fact there is no Broadband at all in my area. However, the fact remains that "people" will go into the local shops and try and buy an XBox, and get disapointed when they can't go online with it.
Fri 10/01/03 at 12:06
Regular
It's really not Microsoft's fault that the availaility of braodband sucks, that's a BT thing.

Neither is it any games company's fault that you don't have broadband installed yet.

All the game companies are providing is a service, if you don't think taht service is worth the money, don't pay for it, it really is that simple.

You wouldn't blame Ford if the cost of petrol went up, or their was a petrol shortage, so don't blame Microsoft, Sony etc for their being a very limited bandwidth available just now.

But then again, if you already have broadband and an Xbox, your missing out by not getting Live. Splinter Cell expansion pack will be released on the Live content download network very, very soon.
Fri 10/01/03 at 09:10
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> The price of a year of Xbox live is the cost of one game - not bad
> considering you get demo's and a headset with it.

What about Broadband installation and on going subscription charges? Plus there might well be some extra charges for specific content (on top of your Live subscription) - similar to PayPerView on top of SKY tv subscription.
Fri 10/01/03 at 09:07
Regular
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> As far as I'm aware I will only need to pay £44.99 at the start
> and that's it for PS2 online. After all, if you have Broadband you
> will pay for that every month whether you have your console online
> anyway. What you all worried about?

You assume most people already have broadband installed. For those that do have a broadband connection, adding on a console to it is not so bad moneywise. But what if you did not already have a broadband connection? What if you just decided you wan't to plug your console into broadband. You would have to get broadband installed, and pay the on going connection fee, before you even start on signing up to the console of your choice (ie, XBox Live).

Most of the UK doesn't even get broadband signals - and BT still say that it may never reach everywhere - due to the expense of upgrading all the exchanges. It's also proposing that in area's of lower demand, they might install a reduced service, which would use cheaper equipment, and limit speed to 128k, and also limit your service provider options to one company (BT?). Would this still work with XBox, or any other online console?
Fri 10/01/03 at 08:54
Regular
Taka-Q wrote:
> Not to Update2.01
>
> The only difference between ADSL and DSL is on uses fibre optics (DSL)
> and one uses either copper cables or fibre optics (ADSL), and has
> nothing to do with whether its a phone line or comes from cable. The
> main reason America has DSL is most of the phone lines are newer than
> the UK's so are mainly fibre optic, were as the UK's are all old
> copper cables (thanks for that BT).

Doesn't change the fact, that the UK has very poor Broadband availability - both over Cable and down BT phone lines.
Fri 10/01/03 at 08:39
Regular
The PS2 setup will not be like Xbox live. Because Xbox Live is a peer to peer connection, it will be really cheeky for them to ask people to pay to play per game.

No-one has denied that some MMORPGs will use servers and therefore incurr a monthly subscription fee.

Expension packs for games etc will also be downloadable through live, and these will probably also have to be paid for. Microsoft is calling this premium content. Like it or not though. Live is a damn good deal, any problems people have with braodband availability and connectivity has nothing to do with this service. Xbox Live can connect to almost an ISP throughout the world which offers braodband services, so if you can't get it, it's probably BT's fault.
Thu 09/01/03 at 21:01
"High polygon count"
Oh, but there is rumour of Sony heavily subsidising the services of the bigger games.
Thu 09/01/03 at 21:00
"High polygon count"
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> As far as I'm aware I will only need to pay £44.99 at the start
> and that's it for PS2 online.

Nope. You buy the adapter for £44.99. But you'll have to pay pretty much per-game that you want to play, because each company will be running their own servers.

While similar, the whole thing works on a different set-up to Xbox Live, and is likely to work out more expensive over all.

But of course, it only costs you anything if you're interested - which I'm not, currently - in either service.
Thu 09/01/03 at 20:54
Regular
The price of a year of Xbox live is the cost of one game - not bad considering you get demo's and a headset with it.

And everything Bonus said too...

The XBox will have the best online service, but I'll bet Sony rivall it quite well and Nintendo will have a few neat surprises up their sleeve too.
Thu 09/01/03 at 20:35
Regular
"  "
As far as I'm aware I will only need to pay £44.99 at the start and that's it for PS2 online. After all, if you have Broadband you will pay for that every month whether you have your console online anyway. What you all worried about?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.