GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Aww Re-install (Win98) help please.."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/01/02 at 19:06
Regular
I’m not too sure about what to do.

My box is busted. Well, Windows 98 needs a re-install. Now. I have a few options.

1) Format (Dunno how/what/where to do) use the boot disk (Which crashed on me last time..) and re-install that way. But I don’t have a Win98 disk, I have 2 “Master Cd’s” which Packard Bell kindly gave me (grr..) So, I don’t think this option is good, although if you know how, prove me wrong.

2) Use smart restore. I have never used this, and want to know how it works, what it does and if anyone has used it before. I want to know if this will fix my box, or will it just like “Help” it a bit. But not actually doing anything.

Right, I know my box needs a re-install because..

Anything that I download from the internet, like WinAmp won’t work. Not even a Quake 2 demo would work. Hmm, something’s wrong.

Norton has totally crashed and burned on me. I tried re-installing it from the “Master Cd” but no good. It crashes when I run, then the whole system locks up, and I have to re-boot.

Disk Defrag and other important System tools are becoming broken. Etc.

Now, when I re-installed last time, I lost all my internet connections and stuff. I’m on BT, so if I put the whole BT folder on a floppy will it still work? Last time I had loads of trouble, I had to pay for like 2 connections and everything, a nightmare. So, I already have my account and the number to dial so even if it didn’t work (The floppy on BT thing) could I just set up a new connection using the details that I recorded?

Thanks in Advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please helpy helpy a poor bloke!

Cheers :o)
Fri 25/01/02 at 21:27
Regular
When you reach the dos prompt do the following:

1. Type : A:
2.type: Dir
3.Look for setup.exe (might be install.exe)
4.Type: Setup
5. You should now be in the blue screen area and should be able to select master cd restore

If you don't trust my technical (in)competence you can call: 0870 901 3000 (only national rate)which is the Packard Bell help line and they can give you step by step instructions on how to do a restore and then at least you know everything is right for your system. Hope this helps.
Fri 25/01/02 at 20:02
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yeah, thing is.

The boot disk they gave me is broken somehow, so I made my own, but that one it not as user friendly. So, I have been left at a dos prompt. I dont know what to do.

format? Or what? I seriously need to re-install this thing. Its totally pathetic not being able to use Norton to scan for viruses...

So, I cant get a Win98 disk. So PB (Urgh) will have to do. Soo, anyone knowing what to do can they e-mail me

[email protected]

Cheers
Fri 25/01/02 at 17:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The only problem with that is you can't get PB's software installed.
Fri 25/01/02 at 17:44
Regular
Please I beg you dont reinstall PB windows it is awful. Beg,borrow steal or even Buy plain windows and install that. My computer is PB i got rid of PB windows and it is so much quicker.

If you insist on PB then you need to:

Put the PB red (?) boot disk in and then turn on the PC. Wait as it loads the boot program and it will give you 3 or 4 options.

2.Select master restore.

3.Put CD in

4.Follow on screen instructions.

Its pretty simple but i would seriously recommend getting a plain copy of windows.
Thu 24/01/02 at 20:43
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
Go with the Packard restore discs. My dad restores regularly (damn him!), so I know that this is a safe option. You will be shown through the restore, and as Turbonutter said, it's 100% impossible to go wrong. It's self-explanatory, just give us a shout if you need any help.

MOW
Thu 24/01/02 at 20:39
Just aquire my mobile number off someone.. then phone me when it f/cks over.
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:39
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
*Frightened*

Mm ah well. Its broke. And thanks Sniper :o)
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:38
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The way I see it - if it destroys your data, it's working!
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:34
Turbonutter wrote:
> It's 100% impossible to go wrong.

Yeah, and Debian is 100% easy to install.

That is, in both cases, if you vaguely know what you're doing.. I wouldn't trust my grandfather to do either.
Thu 24/01/02 at 19:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
James, you really have a talent for stating the obvious.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.