GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Aww Re-install (Win98) help please.."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/01/02 at 19:06
Regular
I’m not too sure about what to do.

My box is busted. Well, Windows 98 needs a re-install. Now. I have a few options.

1) Format (Dunno how/what/where to do) use the boot disk (Which crashed on me last time..) and re-install that way. But I don’t have a Win98 disk, I have 2 “Master Cd’s” which Packard Bell kindly gave me (grr..) So, I don’t think this option is good, although if you know how, prove me wrong.

2) Use smart restore. I have never used this, and want to know how it works, what it does and if anyone has used it before. I want to know if this will fix my box, or will it just like “Help” it a bit. But not actually doing anything.

Right, I know my box needs a re-install because..

Anything that I download from the internet, like WinAmp won’t work. Not even a Quake 2 demo would work. Hmm, something’s wrong.

Norton has totally crashed and burned on me. I tried re-installing it from the “Master Cd” but no good. It crashes when I run, then the whole system locks up, and I have to re-boot.

Disk Defrag and other important System tools are becoming broken. Etc.

Now, when I re-installed last time, I lost all my internet connections and stuff. I’m on BT, so if I put the whole BT folder on a floppy will it still work? Last time I had loads of trouble, I had to pay for like 2 connections and everything, a nightmare. So, I already have my account and the number to dial so even if it didn’t work (The floppy on BT thing) could I just set up a new connection using the details that I recorded?

Thanks in Advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please helpy helpy a poor bloke!

Cheers :o)
Sat 26/01/02 at 02:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
What you've got there is a Windows bootdisk. It's useless for what you want to do.

The IRC DNS servers are down. just /server 216.85.48.26
Sat 26/01/02 at 02:02
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Garin.

I had a look at PB's site but I dont know what version it is.

Smartrestore didn't work for me, but the boot disk it made does. But, its not the same as the original one which is like

*Put in RB floppy*
*Reboot*
*Type 1*
*Installs...*

The one it made is like

*Put in floppy*
*Type 1*
*Watch it do stuff*
*Stare at a:\ prompt*

Thats it. I checked dir and is like some tools. Like scan the disk, which I dont want. And.. FDisk or FSDisk or something. Format, and some other stuff.

So, I dont have a clue what to do from the prompt.

And Phil, is IRC broken?
Sat 26/01/02 at 02:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Actually, That should be Gary. Or Garre. Meh.
Sat 26/01/02 at 02:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Gaz, I said you could download one from there. Honestly, if you're not even going to bother looking I don't know why I should help you.
Sat 26/01/02 at 01:45
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Oi, Rob, yet yourself back on IRC..andi wants you, I believe.
Sat 26/01/02 at 01:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
GasMask wrote:
> Nah didn't work.

> So, what do I do.

> Format my hard drive?

Erm...
just visited www.packardbell.co.uk and looked in the support section. It seems you can download the boot disk software and create another one that way, so if your original is damaged...

But was never totally clear from your posts if smartrestore worked anyway, smartrestore will apparently create a bootdisk for you too.

-G
Sat 26/01/02 at 01:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well I'd advise against it. AFAIK, you can't use your PB discs without the PB floppy. That means you not only have to find a copy of Windows from somewhere, but also all your software too.
Sat 26/01/02 at 00:47
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Nah didn't work.

So, what do I do.

Format my hard drive?

I bloody hate computers sometimes.
Sat 26/01/02 at 00:35
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
cheers Ash. Will try that now..
Fri 25/01/02 at 22:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah, then you can pay £1/min for technical incompetance!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.